Sneeze Fetish Forum

We're in Wikipedia

Chanel_no5

I'll talk to the Staff about some kind of "resources" page or something, because yes, this DOES come up quite a bit! It isn't that it annoys people to see it again, it would just be cool if all of the "extraneous" info could be confined in some precise manner.

Or something.

Crack is good.

~Aku

• 5 months later...

Somehow between March and April the page was deleted!! It was so well-written, too...does anyone have the information that was on there? I wanted to use it as a resource to try and explain the fetish to my dad, but...alas! Can't show someone something that's no longer there.

While I'm on the topic, does anyone know of any other resources that explain the fetish? Any books or articles that could be cited?

I kept meaning to post about this and now it may be too late; some time ago they thratened to delete because they didn't have enough written confirmation, or whatever they call it; odd, really, since they had the link here which you would think was more than confirmatory.

Now, I missed the original row over theis; limks. anyone? But many of us actually found this place through that article; \ and no rel harm seems to have come of it. It would seems an obvious opportunity to rewrite it in a mannne r approved of by the hierarchy here; in fact perhaps the ideal version would be one which only people like us would recognize, which would direct them, and only them, here.

However, I don't know how wikipedia works; if they've decided we don't exist, how would we convince them that we do@?

Thoughts?

I kept meaning to post about this and now it may be too late; some time ago they thratened to delete because they didn't have enough written confirmation, or whatever they call it; odd, really, since they had the link here which you would think was more than confirmatory.

Now, I missed the original row over theis; limks. anyone? But many of us actually found this place through that article; \ and no rel harm seems to have come of it. It would seems an obvious opportunity to rewrite it in a mannne r approved of by the hierarchy here; in fact perhaps the ideal version would be one which only people like us would recognize, which would direct them, and only them, here.

However, I don't know how wikipedia works; if they've decided we don't exist, how would we convince them that we do@?

Thoughts?

I think it should definitely be re-written - I know that's how I came to understand the whole phenomenon better and was directed here. However, I don't think it should ideally only appeal to fellow fetishists; instead it might be more beneficial to give an overview of the fetish directed at an audience composed of the general public. After all, people go to Wikipedia and other encyclopedias for information on things they don't know about. I mean, if you have the fetish, you don't need someone to spell it out for you, but you usually need help explaining it to someone else. This article could be the comprehensive guide you can refer to in your explanation while also serving as a fully informative page someone randomly surfing Wikipedia could encounter, read and really learn something from.

As for how to convince Wikipedia that we exist...well, the forum link does help, but I think they are looking for valid citations. Books, magazine articles, other informational websites, etc. Has anyone ever written about our fetish? The printed word is a powerful medium - probably enough to ground us in Wikipedia permanently.

If it's citations that are needed to prevent deletion (is that what's going on here?)

We could perhaps cite Katherine Gates, Deviant Desires, a book about unusual sexual fetishes in general. I don't think that she specifically mentions the sneezing fetish, but she has a website and is well aware of its existence. Perhaps we could also link to her website if that would help.

There is only one article that I know of in an academic publication. I used to have a pdf file of it on my hard drive (ordered from my university's interlibrary loan department). There is nothing negative in the article. It is about a gay man with a sneezing fetish and a fear of vomiting who was treated by a therapist for his jealousy about other men's sneezing and his vomiting fear. I kind of liked the conclusion by the therapist, which if I remember correctly, was that basically none of the available psychological theories of why a fetish develops could be used to account for this man's sneezing fetish. I think that's not a bad conclusion to represent the fact that the established research really would need to be modified to apply to fetishes like ours.

Scholarly Books and journal articles are plentiful about fetishes, but they're not usually talking about fetishes like ours. However, for the sake of expediency, those could be cited in order to fly under Wikipedia's radar and be sure that the article does not get deleted. Articles and books about sexuality in general could be cited for the same purpose.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I personally don't see the big deal with being in Wikipedia. THIS site comes up before that one does when one googles various forms of "sneeze fetish." I could care less if that article appears again or not. *shrugs*

Yeah, I don't care if it's there either. Many people found this place before it ever existed, so I don't think it's necessary that it be there in order for people to find us. All I ever did was type sneeze into a search engine, not even sneeze fetish.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I personally don't see the big deal with being in Wikipedia. THIS site comes up before that one does when one googles various forms of "sneeze fetish." I could care less if that article appears again or not. *shrugs*

Archived