• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kleeny

• cjblo

• allergyboy2001

• bensonman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Kenyan politician (far right side of screen) efficiently blows his nose at about 5:15 - unfortunately (for the average viewer) his microphone is still live. Some of us might enjoy it though. 😉

14 hours ago, allergyboy2001 said:

A Kenyan politician (far right side of screen) efficiently blows his nose at about 5:15 - unfortunately (for the average viewer) his microphone is still live. Some of us might enjoy it though. 😉

Nice find! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"She Shoots Straight," a 1990 Hong Kong martial arts movie. Actor Sammo Hung does a comic bit about 38:30, where he sees a crying woman, takes out his handkerchief, thoroughly cleans his *own* nose, and then offers it to her. (She refuses.) The film is hard to find, and this version is dubbed in German.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, allergyboy2001 said:

"She Shoots Straight," a 1990 Hong Kong martial arts movie. Actor Sammo Hung does a comic bit about 38:30, where he sees a crying woman, takes out his handkerchief, thoroughly cleans his *own* nose, and then offers it to her. (She refuses.) The film is hard to find, and this version is dubbed in German.

One of your great finds. Remarkable use of the handkerchief as this is not a very Asian thing to do I guess. 

Thanks, CJ. Based on personal travel, supplemented by reading, I think today one would probably see a preference for using tissues for nose blowing practically everywhere in East Asia. (East Asians, feel free to correct me!) Especially among the younger generations. But 30-40 years ago, there seems to have been more variation.   For example, southeast Asian Chinese people seemed less concerned about using handkerchiefs for nose blowing, than say, the Japanese, back in the day. One way to explain it is a lot of southeast Asian kids were going to high schools that were actively creating a middle class for their countries - and part of this process was to get kids to use handkerchiefs (vs. sniffing or sleeves or “farmer blows”). The same thing happened at US Catholic schools, British boarding schools, etc. - rigid enforcement of handkerchief use as a way of showing one’s social class.

So in this 1990 movie, I’m not sure if the humor is mainly about the character’s oblivious behavior (don’t offer a used handkerchief) or if using a handkerchief at all was starting to be seen as “old”. I haven’t seen seen enough Hong Kong martial arts movies to say. (They often were very stylized, like anybody with long hair or a mustache was probably bad.)

• 4 months later...