Mouth or Nose?

rhinoceros

I read something somewhere recently about potential damage to nasal membranes from sneezing throught the nose, which was a little sad for me as I prefer nasal sneezing (because of its connection with blowing). Anyway, as the pollen's high and I'm sneezier than usual, I decided during one sneezing fit the other day to experiment with different sneezing styles, and was surprised to notice how much or how little was sneezed out depending on whether I sneezed through my nose or my mouth.

It made me wonder, amongst other things, why nature should have made nasal sneezing more dangerous when it seems obviously more effective (and, in my case, more fun!). Am I missing something?

I don't think I can do polls yet, and I guess most people here are oral rather than nasal sneezers... but what do you say? You, Tomkins, at the back - what is your opinion?

(Apologies if you're called Tomkins - nothing personal!)

Rhino

:drool: Never thought about that.

If I'm not doing my customary half-stifle, it's half and half, specifically - when I'm sick. I've tried sneezing just out of my nose before and it hurts like all hell. "Allergy" sneezes come just from the mouth.

I sneeze primarily through the mouth. It's a good thing, too, because my sneezes are way too powerful to come out through the nose.

My name's Tomkins and I'm offended by this thread!!! :P

just kidding. Count me among the mouth people. Tried sneezing through my nose once. Hated it.

i definitely sneeze through my mouth more....i cant even remember when i last sneezed through my nose.... :nohappy:

Ironically a sneeze snuck up on me just now >_< so I can tell you first hand - Mouth. Ugh.

Going with the flow so far, I sneeze through my mouth.

Unless it's a stiffle. THEN it would be through the nose.

I just almost wrote through the eyes instead of nose :cry: !

I just almost wrote through the eyes instead of nose :cry: !

Now that WOULD be painful!

I sneeze through my mouth unless trying specifically to dislodge something!

I htink I mostly do it through my mouth. However, there have been times I've done it through my nose, and it does hurt!

:rolleyes: hmm....ive always been a mouth sneezer...i guess cuz im phobic and there's no telling what kind of little nasties may be lurking in the nostrils...but i guess the whole purpose of a sneeze is to rid the facecaves of said nasties...*shrug* :laugh:

well, enjoy your nose sneezes! im glad they work for you! ill have to give it a try...in the safe and SOLITARY confines of my home with lots of tissue and Aku-911 on speed dial should i flip out! :laugh:

hmm....ive always been a mouth sneezer...i guess cuz im phobic and there's no telling what kind of little nasties may be lurking in the nostrils...but i guess the whole purpose of a sneeze is to rid the facecaves of said nasties...*shrug*

Well, exactly my point! Anyway since I started this thread I've been experimenting some more and it seems to me that there's a painless balance between mouth and nose that gives a reasonable chance to get rid of some nasal stuff. It involves starting the sneeze with the mouth open and expelling air through the nose during the sneeze so that both exit routes are used. Of course I wouldn't recommend trying this without a hanky or tissue available!

Happy Sneezing

Rhino

I thought that main point to a sneeze was to get rid of something tickling the nose :blushing: and if that something is in the nose, then why sneeze mostly through the mouth? :wacko: How would sneezing through the mouth get rid of that something in your nose??? This doesn't make much sense :twisted:

I never really thought about that eather :laugh:

I figured I would take a scientific approach to this so I just induced a single and after wipping of my computer screen :heart: I would have to say that I sneeze far more from my mouth than from my nose :unsure:

I'd have to say that it's usually half and half I guess. I guess my smaller sneezes are more through the nose and my bigger sneezes are more through the mouth, but I'm sure that all of my sneezes involve both the nose and the mouth, just in varying degrees.

I never really thought about that eather :lol:

I figured I would take a scientific approach to this so I just induced a single and after wipping of my computer screen :winkkiss: I would have to say that I sneeze far more from my mouth than from my nose :D

We need more of this practical approach! I tried the same, and attempted to sneeze through my nose [i usually go the mouth route]; but I find it virtually impossible with my horrible loud male sneezes.

Indeed, as CoyoteR says, why do we sneeze through our mouths when the purpose of the sneeze must be toe xpel breath through the nose? Do any animals sneeze through their mouths? If not, why do hupersons? Is this an evolutionary gain or mistake [or the will of God]?

Random Coconut?

Perhaps a better question [and/or another topic] is whether we sneeze with our mouths fully open, or do we half close uor mouth naturally at the pointof extreme sneeziness, thus producing the Tchooo noise and diverting some of the oral force into the nose? Since I achevd man's estate I find it more and more difficult to close my mouth at all; but it is clear that other people can't keep their mouths fully open, so the Tchooo is , of course INEVITABLE.

(By the bye, I have to say I'm excited, nay, humbled, in a pathetic sort of way, by the idea that this thread has had some small influence on worldwide sneezing patterns!)

Perhaps a better question [and/or another topic] is whether we sneeze with our mouths fully open, or do we half close uor mouth naturally at the pointof extreme sneeziness, thus producing the Tchooo noise and diverting some of the oral force into the nose?

I find count de tisza's theory attractive and worthy of further investigation. Back later...!

Rhino

It clearly seems logical, from a purely functional point of view, to sneeze through the nose rather than through the mouth. I also remember reading somewhere that children tend to sneeze primarily through the nose, while adults sneeze more through the mouth. So perhaps mouth sneezing is a learned behavior. This begs the question of why do we choose to sneeze in a manner that at least partially defeats the purpose of the sneeze. Is it because mouth sneezing is less messy, and therefore more socially acceptable? Or perhaps mouth sneezing is in some way more satisfying than nose sneezing, providing more of that delicious feeling of release we love so well. Could it be that there's a little bit of sneeze fetishism in everyone, or that sneeze fetishism is an exaggeration of a natural tendency rather than an abberation? I certainly don't know the answers to any of these questions, but whole heartedly endorse the call for more experimentation!

By the way, Rhino, thanks for starting this very interesting thread!

You're welcome, Shy Guy - thanks to you and everyone for the great response!

Or perhaps mouth sneezing is in some way more satisfying than nose sneezing, providing more of that delicious feeling of release we love so well.

Well myself, I prefer nose sneezing and find that it, more than mouth sneezing, gives me that feeling of release - hence the reason for asking the question in the first place!

Interesting observation about children's sneezing - I think you're right (think about all the snot they produce when they sneeze) and that does suggest that as we grow we learn to control sneezes by using the mouth more, doesn't it?

Rhino

Or perhaps mouth sneezing is in some way more satisfying than nose sneezing, providing more of that delicious feeling of release we love so well.

Yeah!!!! :laugh:

Archived