sneezing in other countries?

Guest benluz

Guest benluz

how do you think people sneeze and react to sneezing in different countries around the world you have traveled in i have been to south america and they nearly all enjoy a loud sneeze with very few people stifiling

how do you think people sneeze and react to sneezing in different countries around the world you have traveled in i have been to south america and they nearly all enjoy a loud sneeze with very few people stifiling

In the Northern countries of Europe, Russia, and North America, there is a social embarrassment of sneezing which is why more people stifle there. In Latin America and Latin countries such as Spain it is not regarded as embarrassing to sneeze; it is regarded as natural and so they sneeze more openly and loudly.

Well, I am from the USA, and I am not much of a world traveler. However, a woman I knew who was born and raised in the Phillipines told me that people tend to sneeze quite loudly in the Phillipines, or at least at a moderate volume level. They don't feel any embarrassment about sneezing loudly and openly and they don't tend to stifle their sneezes or avoid sneezing. The only exception might be in a very quiet place like a library or at a crowded dinner table. Even in those cases, stifling isn't very common. They usually just turn away from others, and let the sneezes out fully, but perhaps into an hankerchief or napkin if one is available, which might muffle the sneeze a little. Also, sneezes are not often acknowledged in the Phillipines. Very often when someone sneezes, no one around them says anything, even if the sneezes are very loud or if the person goes into a sneezing fit. The person who sneezes usually doesn't say anything either, and they often just right on talking right through their sneezes.

On the other hand, I've read many times that people in France often try to avoid sneezing in public. If they absolutely cannot fight off the urge, they try to sneeze as quietly and discreetly as possible, even to the point of completely stifling their sneezes or leaving a room if they feel a sneeze coming. This is true of both men and women. They often carry around a tissue or handkerchief that they will sneeze into if they have to sneeze. Of course, I've never been to France so I don't know for sure if this is true. However, I did take a vacation once in a place that had alot of French guests, and I did notice that most of them stifled their sneezes, and many of them sneezed almost silently. I think I must have seen 3 different guys sneezing silently into a tissue, and that's not something I see very often. One French guy next to me at the beach had a fit of about 6 sneezes, and not one sneeze made even the slightest sound. His wife (also French) sat right next to him, and she did not say anything at all. I'm not even sure she knew that he was sneezing, since he was so discreet about it.

Archived