Sneezing whilst eating

rhinoceros

I do sometimes sneeze while eating, especially if the food is spicy, or if it's very hot. I try to cover my mouth with my hanky, of course, turning my face away from the food and my fellow diners as best as possible. If I'm really desparate to sneeze and can't get my hanky out in time, I'll use the napkin, but only to cover the sneeze. I'll then use my hanky if I need to blow my nose (which I almost always do!)

I really don't mind sneezing while eating unless there's food in my mouth at the time of the sneeze. Then I'll try to swallow as much as possible, but I must admit I have sneezed a mouthful of food into a hanky or napkin on more than one occasion.

I really like it when people sneeze at the table, especially if it's an attractive woman. After all, meals are for sharing, and what better to share than a sneeze!

I really like it when people sneeze at the table, especially if it's an attractive woman. After all, meals are for sharing, and what better to share than a sneeze!

i agree. :)

while i've never sneezed while eating, Jodi has, not with food in her mouth, but at the food table.

she holds the sneeze in, so as not to sneeze on hers, or anyone else's food.

I must admit I have sneezed a mouthful of food into a hanky

So what did you do then? Oh, that's right, I remember you saying you usually have a spare hanky.

I must admit I have sneezed a mouthful of food into a hanky

So what did you do then? Oh, that's right, I remember you saying you usually have a spare hanky.

Yes, indeed! I always carry two because you never know when a hanky will be pressed into some sort of service that will render it unusable before the next wash!

well, they very rarely come upon me QUITE that quickly, but if I can't turn away from the table, I'll use my napkin, or if I have to use my hands, I'll excuse myself to wash my hands afterwards.

Part of the problem I have is that the strategies I might normally use to delay a sneeze (typically breathing control) become more difficult to employ with a mouthful of food! I will therefore get only a few seconds notice before sneezing, and those few seconds are focussed on minimizing the sneeze rather than eating. Since spitting out my food seems neither an attractive prospect nor good energy conservation (!), the upshot (what's an upshot by the way?) is that I have to use the nose sneeze rather than the mouth sneeze (see another thread for further discussion of this distinction) and the handkerchief (or serviette if there's not time) becomes essential.

(I can stand any amount of snot wrapped up in my pocket, but not half-chewed dinner!)

As I think about this further, it seems to me that I am more likely to sneeze once only in this situation (a comparatively rare phenomenon for me). Probably a good thing.

Interestingly, spicy food doesn't make me sneeze, just sweat. Buckets.

Rhino

Part of the problem I have is that the strategies I might normally use to delay a sneeze (typically breathing control) become more difficult to employ with a mouthful of food!

Rhino

That's exactly the same problem I have!

(I can stand any amount of snot wrapped up in my pocket, but not half-chewed dinner!)

Rhino

Yes, I agree 100%! I try to avoid having this happen at all costs. But because of the problem you identified above, it's not always possible. That's why I've adopted the Boy Scout's motto of being prepared with a spare hanky!

I don't tend to sneeze while eating, however C has done so at the table a few times, and always manages to make a very funny face while emitting an equally hilarious sound. He tries his best to stifle it and not draw attention, in case anything does manage to "escape", but the noise he makes just stops all conversation and causes everyone to watch.

• 9 years later...

It only happens when I take a really big bite. I end up having to stifle, which I don't do often. 

Archived