sneezing while asleep and a wierd question

Secret98

Sneezing While Asleep: when someone sneezes in their sleep do you think they do it more naturally than they would when awake? People who usually stifle, can't stifle in their sleep, and about the whole mouth nose thing... do you think people sneeze mostly through their nose when asleep?

Wierd Question: When some says right before they sneeze, "I feel a sneeze in my nose" I was remembering that someone had said that and was thinking, no would ever say, "I feel a sneeze in my feet" or something like that, so I guess I'm just very wierd :lol: anyone ever wonder something like that? I'm very tired today, thus the wierd question was born... ;)

Regarding the weird question -- personally, I often feel incipient sneezes on the roof of my mouth, or sometimes even in my teeth (yes, I know, that's a bit random) so to me, feeling a sneeze "in my nose" would mean that I had inhaled something irritating. Whether this is the case for other people, I can't venture to guess.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about why I asked that question, could be because I was so tired, but still... I think sneezing while asleep would be more natural than when awake because the person can't control it, plus they are even more vulnerable while asleep and sneezing... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Heheh, the question is funny. I think maybe some people are a bit weird when it comes to describing sneezes. They express it in strange ways. I once heard someone say their nose was "full of sneezes". Ok then! LOL.

I also get the roof of the mouth sneeze sensation. Sort of a warm itchiness/tingling...I don't like it. I only ever get that when I'm going to sneeze a lot of times in a row.

Actually it's not possible to sneeze while sleeping, because when you are asleep your body gets unconscious.. and.. Wauw I haven't got the english skills to explain this properly but.. When your body doesn't feel anything, you haven't got any reflexes, like sneezing for example.

Too bad, cause it could be cute... ;)

So if someone sneezes in their sleep, they can't be really sleeping... As far as I know :yes:

Actually it's not possible to sneeze while sleeping, because when you are asleep your body gets unconscious.. and.. Wauw I haven't got the english skills to explain this properly but.. When your body doesn't feel anything, you haven't got any reflexes, like sneezing for example.

Too bad, cause it could be cute... :lol:

So if someone sneezes in their sleep, they can't be really sleeping... As far as I know :yes:

honestly that is exactly what i was thinking...and what we have always been taught (and what i teach) in my anatomy classes. when the body relaxes into sleep, you shouldnt be able to stimulate the specific nuclei in the medulla oblongata to initiate a sneeze. now this may be based upon level of sleep, such as no sneezing in deep REM sleep, but a more relaxed and uncontrollable response in the lightest levels of sleep...hmm...i feel an experiment coming on...i shall let you all know how it comes out. ;)

as to the question....i currently feel a sneeze building somwhere in my elbow. :lol:

there are times when i have woken up and sneezed right after. its like i knew i was going to.. then fell back asleep.

my bf did the same thing the other night.. and he was definatly asleep.. cuz he did it right on me! :yes:

Too bad, cause it could be cute... :rolleyes:

So if someone sneezes in their sleep, they can't be really sleeping... As far as I know :mellow:

honestly that is exactly what i was thinking...and what we have always been taught (and what i teach) in my anatomy classes. when the body relaxes into sleep, you shouldnt be able to stimulate the specific nuclei in the medulla oblongata to initiate a sneeze. now this may be based upon level of sleep, such as no sneezing in deep REM sleep, but a more relaxed and uncontrollable response in the lightest levels of sleep...hmm...i feel an experiment coming on...i shall let you all know how it comes out. :twisted:

as to the question....i currently feel a sneeze building somwhere in my elbow. :lol:

Well, I'm kind of stupid unknowing around this subject. I just remember someone saying that their mom told them that they had a sneezing fit one night, and they didn't remember it or something (not totally sure what she said)...

:lol: you feel a sneeze in your elbow :lol:

Too bad, cause it could be cute... :lol:

So if someone sneezes in their sleep, they can't be really sleeping... As far as I know :mellow:

honestly that is exactly what i was thinking...and what we have always been taught (and what i teach) in my anatomy classes. when the body relaxes into sleep, you shouldnt be able to stimulate the specific nuclei in the medulla oblongata to initiate a sneeze. now this may be based upon level of sleep, such as no sneezing in deep REM sleep, but a more relaxed and uncontrollable response in the lightest levels of sleep.

Wooow... :twisted: I'm impressed!

Though all those crazy words messes my head up :lol:

I'll stick to your explanation!! You sure soud like you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

While this may be scientifically impossible, I think I know what's really going on. Mr. Aku often sneezes in the middle of the night, but here's the thing....

I'm willing to bet that right before he sneezes, the urge to sneeze literally wakes him up enough to perform it. He may or may not be aware of this, but he's not necessarily doing it "in his sleep." He is more "half-awake." I think THIS is entirely possible, because I've been "awakened" by a sneeze myself in the middle of the night, but I can assure you, I was not "sleeping" when it happened. :mellow:

Archived