Spelling sneezes?

VoOs

This has probably been discussed before but... what is your favourite spelling of a sneeze?

I myself love it when a writer uses the letters “i”, “x”, “k” and sometimes “y” when they spell sneezes in fiction and observations. Like: “Hiih’Nkxshh!” or “Yiisschh!” for example. I have no idea why I like it that way, I just do. :innocent:

Wow, sometimes it really amazes me that I actually CARE about this kind of things. :lol: Heehee, gotta love this fetish. :innocent:

Well, I like all different kinds of sneeze sounds. But, I think my favorite would have to be "Eshhooo," and "Heh-eshooo!" I know my hubby sometimes sneezes this way, and also one of my other favorite males. I'm also fond of the half-attempt at a stifle and hard to spell sort of sneeze. "Hup-schuuuu" is also pretty high on my list. I'm not super picky, as long as it isn't a male who silently stifles! :twisted:

I think I'm in the minority here, but I really like ones like "heeshoo," "he-eshoo," "he-ishoo" or some variation of those.

I seem to like sneezes that have 3 silibles in it verses 2, I sometimes like one:

Hee-eh-hoo! (my all time favorite)

Ha-eh-shoo! anything of the sort

I sometimes like single silibles:

Choo!

Soo!

Shoo!

ISH!

USHH!

and so on...

I love variety in a sneezing fit :yes:

For me...it depends on the circumstance.

If it's a character I know well, I probably already have a sound in mind for them in my head. So if I'm reading about them I will "hear" the sneezes that way regardless about how they are spelled.

If I'm reading a fic where I don't know the character, I like really detailed spelling so I can get a good idea of it in my head. It may or may not scare those writers to know that when I am reading your fics, I read and act the sneeze spellings OUT LOUD so I can really appreciate them. So, the more "accurate" the spelling is, the easier it is for me to get a feeling for it.

That said, my personal preference is spellings that indicate an attempted (or attempted and failed) stifle, sneezes that are partially held back but force their way out anyway, and sneezes that are varied especially for parts of a "fit". So...consonants that you wouldn't normally think of as being part of a sneeze, especially K, X, and T just rock my world! ;)

Hehehe, KK....I sit here and TOTALLY sound out all of my spellings before I write them down! :lol: My motto is this:

If I can't make the sound myself, then neither can the character! :lol:

Interesting, except for one thing: I can't voluntarily make the sound of my OWN stifles! *tries not to think about ow many times she's tried* So I can't possibly assume that I would be able to necessarily make anyone's else's sneeze sounds either. (Also, no matter how many times I listen to the clip, or even watch it, I can not EVER reproduce, nor come close to spelling, the character of Elliot Stabler's sneeze in the SVU episode "Contact".) Then again, you a) probably have had way more practice than I have, and b ) are far, far more awesome than I am or could ever hope to be.

Abyssinia,

Barrie

Edited to fix the stupid smileys

Hehehe, KK....I sit here and TOTALLY sound out all of my spellings before I write them down! :lol: My motto is this:

If I can't make the sound myself, then neither can the character! :lol:

Interesting, except for one thing: I can't voluntarily make the sound of my OWN stifles! *tries not to think about ow many times she's tried*

Abyssinia,

Barrie

Edited to fix the stupid smileys

That's interesting :lol:

My theory to that is that your own sneeze or particularly stifle sounds different to YOU as to the people that hear it.

For instance, one might stifle completely silent but hear the sound themselves becuase of the rush of pressure that goes into their head.

It is basically impossible to re-create that rush of pressure without sneezing, thus not being able to re-create what you THINK your stifle sounds like. Re-creating your own let-out or loud sneeze becuase you have no pressure in your head from blocking it to interrupt the sound you will hear and so you can hear it with your own ear.

I mean, that may just be a load of rubbish as to what is the truth. But you know... That's what i think :lol:

If I'm reading a fic where I don't know the character, I like really detailed spelling so I can get a good idea of it in my head. It may or may not scare those writers to know that when I am reading your fics, I read and act the sneeze spellings OUT LOUD so I can really appreciate them. So, the more "accurate" the spelling is, the easier it is for me to get a feeling for it.

I do that too :lol: I'm pretty sure a lot of people do, or maybe i'm just wierd.

Ok, how many people here do that? :lol:

Eep, sorry to threadjack. Should we make a new thread for this? :lol:

Hmm, interesting question! I agree, the sneeze is much better when it suits the character/emphasises the persons character.

Mainly though, I like must sneezes with a "Heh" or "Huh" at the beginning, like:

~"Heh-kshuu!"

~"Huh-tchu!"

~"Heh-ashoo!"

But I also like sneezing beginning with and Ip noise :lol: Like "Ipsch'uuh!", or an Eck (don't ask me why-it sounds like they're being strangled when i write it down :lol: ) sound like "Eck-kshuu!"

I also like it when part of the sneeze or one sneeze in a fit is emphasised (Heh'kshuu! Heh'nxgt! Heh'Kitschoo!)

So yeah :lol:

I blush just at the thought of spelling sneezes! It prevents me from writing obs. I always worry that I will spell things lousily or I don't know, do something else wrong!

Just really self conscious about it! :angry:

hi everyone

wel, you probably know where I stand with my sneeze spelling sounds, seeing that I am an old fashioned romantic....preferring feminine sneezes.I love the feminine A..TISH...OOO! very much.... it always sounds so plaintive and, dare I say erotic. Also the female A...SHOOO! is also really beautiful. but thats just me. what do you think?? love. poetmusxx

I'm with Poetmus here; I like Achoo and Atishoo sneezes, and in fact lots of people do sneeze like that, and I like it when they do; though in stories elegant variation, as exampled by hippo and GS, is probably preferable.

It occirs to me that I want to have , not realistic sneezes, but perfect sneezes; depicted, like men, not as they are but as they ought to be. There is a lovely Serotica story called "Star Ptarmic " where a girl visits a planet where everyone tries to sneeze in one of three or four perfect ways; she starts off unable to alter her natural sneeze, but practises and gets much better at it; fabulous idea, fabulous spellings.!!!

• 7 months later...

Well,for me,It depends on what the personality of that character is.

Right now I'm righting a Fic where Shadow The Hedgehog catches a cold,and he seems the sort of person

who would cover up his cold,and Stifle his sneezes :laugh:

Problem is,I don't know how to spell them.Could I have some suggestions? :cryhappy:

And Personally,I like stifles best.I just can't spell them.:)

Guest UncommonCold
Well,for me,It depends on what the personality of that character is.

Agree.

Personally, I'm not much for spelling sneezes. But when I do it'll be simple "Ashoo!" or "Hetchoo!" or something like that. When I write a fic, I want my fic to be enjoyable for fetishists and non-fetishists alike. So I don't have excessive use of those spelling in my fic. But that's just me.

Oh, and I like to spell a sneeze as it is interpreted in my native tongue, "Hudchei!" since it looks exotic when romanised. Although I never actually carry that in my fic.

I never phonetically recreate sneezes in any of my fics, because like UncommonCold, I write for non-fetishists as well. I've read too many stories that were otherwise good but the spelled-out sneezes were unrealistic or not the type of sneeze that appeals to me; either way, it ruins the story IMO. I'd rather leave it open to my reader's imagination!

I try to phonetically spell sneezes as close as I can remember them in my obs because I feel that it helps the reader imagine the scene better. I have encountered some obs or stories where I didn't like the spellings, and either I get past it or I don't...but I much prefer having them spelled out. I enjoy the word 'sneeze,' but spelled out sneezes are so much more erotic

I guess I'd have to say that my preferred spellings are most things ending in "oo," like Hushoo, Hashoo, Achoo, Eshoo, and variations of those, like Ishuh, Ashuh, and 3-syllable sneezes with "ish," like Huh-ishoo, Hah-ishoo, Hup-chishoo, stuff like that

Honestly, I prefer the more typical sneezes, and anything that sounds like my boyfriend :\

I have a hard time with sneezes with R in them...The worst one (Weird, this is actually hard to type out) is A-rash, and I think it's because that's how my grandfather sneezed. Not somewhere I want to go. Same with male sneezes with a high pitched and dramatic "oo" sound at the end, because that reminds me of my uncle.

• 8 years later...
On 7/16/2007 at 7:53 AM, JellyBelly said:

I blush just at the thought of spelling sneezes! It prevents me from writing obs. I always worry that I will spell things lousily or I don't know, do something else wrong!

Just really self conscious about it! :angry:

You shouldn't be self-conscious, it prevents you from writing a good story!

Archived