Sneeze Fetish Forum

Comment

A big collection

I was in a bar the other day and a girl who was sat with us called a tissue a hanky. Being a hanky lover i was appalled ! Do people agree with me ?

Yes, that is quite annoying, especially when one is doing web-searching.

But it seems to be common in a lot of countries (languages?). Not necessarily using a separate word for tissues, just saying "paper handkerchief" or "cloth handkerchief" if the meaning is unclear.

So I guess the solution is, promote the use of the word "tissue" in every language, so handkerchief means "cloth handkerchief" more reliably!

Yes, that is quite annoying, especially when one is doing web-searching.

But it seems to be common in a lot of countries (languages?). Not necessarily using a separate word for tissues, just saying "paper handkerchief" or "cloth handkerchief" if the meaning is unclear.

So I guess the solution is, promote the use of the word "tissue" in every language, so handkerchief means "cloth handkerchief" more reliably!

Indeed, Dutch has the same problem. We talk about paper handkerchiefs and cloth handkerchiefs, or 'zakdoekjes' (small handkerchiefs) and 'zakdoeken'.

C

Well, I have a different view, because I just love the words "hanky" and "handkerchief", so the more they're used the better as far as I am concerned. "Tissue" doesn't do it for me. Plus if the meaning is unclear it gives you a chance to ask what the person meant! As in "Did you mean a tissue or a cloth hanky?"

Rhino

I could not agree more. For me. the word Hankie is full of hidden , erotic meanng [like Basingstoke], whereas tissue is a misnomer and reminds one of that horriblest of retail euphemisms, "toilet tissue" , meaning lavatory paper. Eurgh!

So it is "paper hankies " for me.

Infact I can't remember "tissues" ever being used when I was little, so it may be an ancienrt thing.

• 3 years later...

Archived