Buying handkerchiefs

A big collection

Has anyone else noticed the decline in the sale of single handkerchiefs ? These days all that seems to be available is boxed ones.

I suspect you are right about this. Years ago I would walk into a department store and have a reasonable chance of finding individual handkerchiefs, both men's and women's - now it is still possible, I think (John Lewis is one recent example form my experience) but rarer, especially for women's. Tie Rack and some other stores do individual silk ones. Market stalls used to be good places for this but even there they are more likely to be packaged up now.

Still, with Christmas on the horizon, this is the time of year to look around!

Rhino

Indeed, they come in sets rather than single ones, even in market stalls.

For some reason I do not like to have several identical handkerchiefs in my collection (don't ask me why :proud: ).

Same pattern in different colours is OK.

C

For some reason I do not like to have several identical handkerchiefs in my collection (don't ask me why :) ).

Same pattern in different colours is OK.

I don't mind having several handerchiefs the same, but when I decided recently that I could do with getting rid of a few, I decided to jettison the duplicates and near-duplicates. I like having the variety and I would rarely, if ever, use two the same one after the other. That for me would be one reason for buying hankies singly rather than in packs (which often contain two or more the same) - another reason would be the chance to feel the quality before I buy.

Rhino

Archived