Sneeze Fetish Forum

What Are You Reading Right Now

doggo

I'm a really poor reader- but I have started again, and I just had to say I'm reading Grimm Tales by Philip Pullman.

It's a collection of older versions of lots of fairy tales (some well known, lots obscure and weird) and I think it's wonderful.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

I'm reading obscene amounts of Merlin fanfic. 

Apart from that I'm reading "Mr Darcy's Guide to Courtship" by Emily Brand and "Aliens: Science asks: is there anyone out there?" Edited by Jim Al Khalili. 

... it can not be said that I have a one-sided taste? :lol: 

I'm balancing too many books right now. I've got three comics (Punisher War Journal, Green Arrow Vol. 2 and Back to the Future Vol. 1) And two regular books (Meg: Terror of the deep, and Winchester: 1887, which is a sequel to a book I haven't even read yet.

I should probably drop one or two. 

I'm currently reading Lockwood and Co, and loving it just as much as its predecessors. It's spooky and funny and just generally awesome.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, Bob97 said:

I'm balancing too many books right now.

I'm amazed by how some people can read so many books at once, I salute you!

I'm going to be reading Another by Yukito Ayatsuji again in a few days.

And I'm reading my textbook for class. (Russian)

I'm also reading episode 1 of Umineko When They Cry. It's a kinetic visual novel.

On 12/17/2017 at 0:27 PM, Masked Chaos said:

I'm currently reading Lockwood and Co, and loving it just as much as its predecessors. It's spooky and funny and just generally awesome.

I'm amazed by how some people can read so many books at once, I salute you!

Well thank you. Still, I don't recommend it at all. You end up getting characters confused on which story they're in. 

"How not to Die" by Dr. Michael greger! He had great advice for how to eat amd live healthier, and his anecdotes are hilarious! 

I'm reading my textbook for class. (Russian)

I'm also reading Cafe 0 The Drowned Mermaid. It's a visual novel.

On 12/29/2017 at 10:07 AM, March Hare said:

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I have a new favourite author. :wub:

Excellent book! The PBS miniseries is pretty good too. 

I'm reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower for the first time (despite being in my mid-30s :lol: )

Also just finished "Perfume: Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. Two days later and I still can't tell if I liked it or not. 

1 hour ago, matilda3948 said:

I'm reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower for the first time (despite being in my mid-30s :lol: )

Oooh, how are you liking it?

5 hours ago, March Hare said:

Oooh, how are you liking it?

It's made me feel very melancholy. My high school experience was nothing like this. I was more of a "wallflower" than the main character is at his worst. But I see why so many people like it. I bet it's what high school was like for most people; I just don't really identify with it.

Am about halfway through Phillip Pullman's newest book- a companion companion series to His Dark Materials.  The series is: The Book of Dust, and book is called La Belle Sauvage.  It is thus far *just* as fantastic as the previous trilogy. ☺

Insomnia led me to finish The Power by Naomi Alderman this morning. Just as great as everybody said. Now back to a biography of Catherine  of Aragon.

I'm attempting to read/finish (for the 5th time, I might add) Steven King's uncut edition of The Stand. Epidemics totally freak me out, so this book really gives me the heebies. I'm about 330 pages into it, and still have over 1000 left to go. wish me luck :laugh:

48 minutes ago, Always said:

I'm attempting to read/finish (for the 5th time, I might add) Steven King's uncut edition of The Stand. Epidemics totally freak me out, so this book really gives me the heebies. I'm about 330 pages into it, and still have over 1000 left to go. wish me luck :laugh:

Good luck! :P I love that book! I read the shortened version when I was younger and I didn't get why it was considered by many to be his best. Then I read the uncut version and HOOOOOLY SHIT, it's like a different book! The character developments (particularly Larry and Harold) are INCREDIBLE!!  

It's a bit dated in places, but as long as the reader keeps in mind that it takes place in 1990 (and is written even earlier than that), it's an amazing read. 

I'm reading "The Three Waves of Volunteers And The New Earth" by Dolores Cannon. I'm currently in the midst of a spiritual and intellectual awakening, and her works give me so much comfort and insight. It really resonates with me on a profound level.

On 02/01/2018 at 8:51 PM, Bruyere said:

Insomnia led me to finish The Power by Naomi Alderman this morning. Just as great as everybody said.

I really enjoyed The Power last year too! It was a fast-paced read with lots of clever ideas, even if it isn't going to win any awards for stylish writing. 

I've just started the most recent C. J. Sansom novel, Lamentation. He's written a series of Tudor murder mystery novels about a hunchback lawyer called Shardlake, and I love them. The characters are really well-developed, the plots are complicated and move quickly, and the author is a historian and does a brilliant job of adding lots of interesting, authentic details about the time without beating you over the head with them. The language they speak is just subtly archaic, without it grating at all, and the characters feel 'of their time' while still being very relatable, which I love. I've read a bunch of historical fiction set in Tudor times (Philippa Gregory, Hilary Mantel etc) and these measure up very well.

Next on my list is either Garth Nix's Goldenhand, which I've had on my shelf since it was published and haven't gotten round to - I loved the Sabriel series as a teenager - or The Expanse series, which is gritty sci-fi. I've just raced my way through the TV version on Netflix, and had the books recommended to me by someone I trust. I'm interested to see if the characters are at all different.

• 3 weeks later...

I found The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at Goodwill and bought it because it was only $1 and there are a couple references to it in my favorite album. And it is one of the funniest things I've ever read...I'm so pleasantly surprised

Recently finished the Flamestone Society Trilogy, and absolutely loved it. I have recently started the 'oddly large book' Godsland Series,  and it's pretty good so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

I'm still reading it. Sometimes I need a break because it can be pretty dense but i like it because it explores certain philosophical ideas. There's a lot about gnosticism/dualism, humanity, violence/war ..

It has such beautiful prose for such a brutal and heartless story.

“Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery.”

• 1 month later...

I've started reading The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. It has a very crisp calmness in its language and I am very much enjoying it so far.

I'm reading Metro 2033 again. When I'm finished, if I feel like buying it, I might read the sequel, Metro 2034. I'm not sure yet.