Sneeze Fetish Forum

What Are You Reading Right Now

doggo

I'm alternating between Well-schooled in Murder by Elizabeth George, The Witching Hour by Anne Rice and some truly gormawful Harlequin novella. #ReadMoreWomen

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

I’ve decided to reread (yet again :lol:) the Abarat series by Clive Barker. It’s my favorite! :D 

I'm reading Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky. So far so good, although I hope it's worth the 700plus pages it's printed on. Thankfully, it's not a slow book at all. It's quite a page-turner, warts and all. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Again I'm thinking of "The Cockroach" by Ian McKewan.

Very political, and maybe the worse for it. But god damn it seems right for this moment. I'm worried about my country.

Also trying to get back to Milkman by Anna Burns. But not being brave enough to read a proper book just yet. I'll try again over Christmas.

• 5 months later...
I hope it's okay to still post here.

So, trying to get back into reading. The most I can finish is manga recently, but also lately, not even that. I abandon or stop reading manga, too, only part way through. I had/have a problem lately where I'll start reading a novel/book and stop reading a ways in/like a hundred pages or so.

But, I think this time around is promising. :) I'm currently reading Rent a Boyfriend by Gloria Chao. It's been forever since I've been this excited for some fiction. Like, I'll mostly read/try to read fiction, but always stop. Non-fiction is the same way, too. :(

Anyway, Rent a Boyfriend is the first novel I'm reading by Gloria Chao. She's also the author of Our Wayward Fate and American Panda.

In many Asian countries (in real life), there is a practice/existence of companies where one can rent fake family members, or girlfriends and boyfriends, and people like that. For real.

Rent a Boyfriend is about Chloe Wang and her hired (fake) boyfriend, Drew Chan. She hired him to impress her Taiwanese/Chinese parents (Chloe is Taiwanese-American) and to try to say she already has a boyfriend so, she can't accept the attempts by her parents to try and arrange a marriage with her to Hongbo (a real jerk), and who's only connection to her is that her parents and Hongbo's parents are close friends.

And, the description of the novel hints that Chole and Drew fall for each other over time. :o

Also, I'm currently on Chapter 12 (Page 59) of Rent a Boyfriend. But, I really hope I'll be able to finish this book. I'm enjoying it. :)
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently finished re-reading Gravity by Tess Gerritsen. She is so good at writing the way I like to read. I prefer her stand-alone novels to the Rizzoli & Isles ones, but only because I'm not big fan of police procedural novels. 

At the moment, I'm reading Susan Page's biography about Nancy Pelosi. It's a pretty good read, the writing is a bit clunky but there's a lot packed into it. I suddenly understand exactly why I have this (until now) inexplicable crush on her. :lol: 

Side note, but I loved that the author thought this was important enough to be included in the book: 

Spoiler

IMG_20210525_165928_181.jpg

:shock: 

(As someone who actually watched that speech, I'm just gonna say that she in fact began sniffling about an hour sooner than that, but at that point it had gotten so bad she probably felt she had to address it. :lol: )

And next week my copy of Stephen King's "Later" arrives!! 

Edited by Chanel_no5

After finishing Robin Hobb's farseer trilogy (which was still great) I started reading her Liveship Traders trilogy (now reading the first book). Very interesting world and characters so far

22 hours ago, Chanel_no5 said:

Side note, but I loved that the author thought this was important enough to be included in the book: 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20210525_165928_181.jpg

:shock: 

(As someone who actually watched that speech, I'm just gonna say that she in fact began sniffling about an hour sooner than that, but at that point it had gotten so bad she probably felt she had to address it. :lol: )

I am so freaking jealous of you, oh my freaking god.  Seriously.  You lucky so and so. 

And just so I'm not posting off topic, I am reading Creating Character Arcs by K. M. Weiland.  Its about creating character arcs.  Im reading it so I can learn about creating character arcs.  Exciting stuff I know! 😁

11 minutes ago, SleepingPhlox said:

I am so freaking jealous of you, oh my freaking god.  Seriously.  You lucky so and so. 

Fuck, I am jealous of me!! :rofl: I am SO not complaining, but jeez, the way it's written...! :lol:  I did expect the speech to be mentioned, given that it holds the record for longest speech in the House ever, but not that part, not that detailed. :lol: Especially since this author glosses over other, big events, like a violent carcrash which is mentioned in a single sentence without context. But this was clearly important to document for the future. 🤷‍♀️  (now I'm waiting for a movie to be made with this book as source material, please and thank you.)

1 hour ago, SleepingPhlox said:

Exciting stuff I know! 😁

I mean, who isn't interested in creating character arcs? 😏 Character arcs are important to create. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm still reading Rent a Boyfriend by Gloria Chao. But good news guys, I made it to Chapter 31 (Page 162). This means I made it past my about 100 page limit that seemed to be in place for books I read (could barely read past 100 pages before). Although, I'm still a ways off. There's 70 total chapters and 376 pages for the story itself. 

Also, bought some more books recently. I bought To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han, Kirby Manga Mania volume 1, and Maison Ikkoku volume 2 (Collector's edition).

• 2 weeks later...

I've started reading "How To Be Sick" and slowly working my way through The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. 

• 3 months later...

I am currently reading The Inferno by Dante Alighieri. It’s not your traditional book, rather an epic and yes it is pretty epic!

I’m also really enjoying The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer.

I'm re-reading some teenage favorites "Sagan om häxmästaren" (The tale of the Witch Master) by Margit Sandemo. It's loosely based on Icelandic court records and stories about witchcraft and galdrakonst (I don't think there's an English word for this) from the 17th century.

• 1 month later...

I just finished The Confession of a Child of the Century (La Confession d'un enfant du siècle) by Alfred de Musset and I enjoyed it very much :) 

• 1 month later...

So, I did actually finish reading Rent a Boyfriend by Gloria Chao. Yay. :) (But, this was a few months ago.)

I don't think I've read anything since (other than my Japanese textbook, Genki 1.)

As or what I'm currently reading/in the middle of reading:

Ping Pong Volume 1 by Taiyo Matsumoto (manga)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Deserted Island Diary (volume 1) (by Kokonasu Rumba) (manga)

I Have a Secret by Yoru Sumino (light novel)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Lords of Deliverance series by Larissa Ione. It’s paranormal romance genre and I looooooove it. This is currently my genre obsession and I’m not sorry 🤣 I read all sorts of books but this type seems to be keeping my attention for the past year or so.

Right now, I'm reading Alex, approximately by Jenn Bennett (for like the 100th time now). It's a really cute romance novel about two stangers who met on the internet and they're texting while also living their lives.