Sneeze Fetish Forum

What Are You Reading Right Now

doggo

The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. (My son has been begging me to read it since we saw the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" movie a couple of months ago.) It's not bad.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

hehe Trillium - my son is insisting I read it as soon as he's done with it :crazy:

hehe Trillium - my son is insisting I read it as soon as he's done with it :wacko:

I'm almost done with it -- I'm changing my mind, it's quite good. Much better than the movie, just as my son insisted it was.

Hey, I read all of them a few weeks ago. Pretty good, actually. Then again, I'm a Harry Potter fan and a Greek Mythology geek...

I've just finished "23-salen" by Ingvar Ambjørnsen. It's in Norwegian, and I don't know if it exists in any other languages :c Anyways it's great, it's about when the author worked at a mental hospital in '74 and '75 (not sure, but it was in the 70's). It's really shocking to read about how the patients were treated, and it's written in a very fictional way. Everything is true, except the names and the nurses at the hospital. You should read it ^-^

(I know I'm not supposed to write so much about the books, but I do it anyway x3)

Atm I'm reading "Asylet - Gaustad sykehus 150 år" (The asylum - Gaustad hospital 150 years), which contains different stories by various people who've had something to to with Gaustad hospital in Norway. All this hospital stuff is because I'm writing a text at school about mental hospitals in Norway in the 20th century.

Finally finished Black House, so I picked up 1984 by George Orwell. I've never read it before, since it's not required reading in high school for French schools :D

A bunch of childrens' books for a school project: Catwings, The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, Henry and Mudge, Olive the Other Reindeer... I feel so nostalgic. :D

I've just finished 'The Poison Belt' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and 'Flatland'.

Now I'm in doubt whether to start in Marion Bradley's 'Ravens of Avalon' by Diana L. Paxson or the 'Mabinogion' (in which I had started before realising I could not pronounce any of the names... hello, Welsh pronunciation guide :) )

Suggestions would be welcome :P

I've just finished "23-salen" by Ingvar Ambjørnsen. It's in Norwegian, and I don't know if it exists in any other languages :c Anyways it's great, it's about when the author worked at a mental hospital in '74 and '75 (not sure, but it was in the 70's). It's really shocking to read about how the patients were treated, and it's written in a very fictional way. Everything is true, except the names and the nurses at the hospital. You should read it ^-^

(I know I'm not supposed to write so much about the books, but I do it anyway x3)

I'm sure you can write as much as you like about the books. And I might go and look for this one shortly so thanks for the recommendation.

Currently reading Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence. It's straightforward enough to read but I'm just not really that gripped by it.

Life of Pi! It's really dynamic with a slight, subtle twist.

I've always wanted to read it after this kid L in my class and melonbun suggested it to me! Tell me if it's good. :)

Life of Pi! It's really dynamic with a slight, subtle twist.

I've always wanted to read it after this kid L in my class and melonbun suggested it to me! Tell me if it's good. :)

Okay, I will. I'm on page 194, I think. It's really unique...there's barely any dialogue, but it's really consistent. It's almost like the pages can't turn fast enough...

1) "Fatally Flaky" by Diane Mott Davidson (the newest of her Goldy Shultz series)

2) "Bloodstream" by Tess Gerritsen

3) The Sherlock Holmes stories, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (currently up to "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" in "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes")

-White Fang by Jack London - Meh... I've been reading it for several months, can never quite bring myself to finish it. I'm just not an animal person. I need characters in my books! (I do like it marginally better than Call of the Wild, though)

Oooh, I love that book! I won it as a prize at some sort of gifted children's camp I went on a fair few years back, with really gorgeous colour illustrations and everything...I wuv it :drool: I spend as much time looking at the pictures as I do actually reading the story :wub:

Right now, I'm reading Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist for the second time. Trying to decide whether I rent the movie or not...it's in Swedish...I hate watching movies in other languages, even with subtitles :)

The selected works of T.S Spivet by Reif Larsen. Fascinating stuff...

I just finished "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King and "The Shining" by the same author. Is now glancing at my bookcase wondering which one to (re-)read now... :drool:

Oh, by the way! Does anyone know any writers that do about the same stuff as Stephen King?! I'm in desperate need!

I do read Dean Koontz at times but he's not King... and I have read "Floating Dragon" by Peter Straub, but it wasn't quite what I imagined... I believed he wrote the same style as King, but I didn't like his way of writing. I have read "A heart-shaped box" and "20th Century Ghosts" by Joe Hill, King's son... and he doesn't write stuff the same way either. Yeah I know there will only be one King of horror, but are there other authors even writing the same kind of stuff?! It seems to me most new(ish) novels are either lady-romance-historic type, or criminal novels. I'm not particularly fond of either. I want soul and scare, and a colourful language within a good story. :jawdrop:

I just finished "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King and "The Shining" by the same author. Is now glancing at my bookcase wondering which one to (re-)read now... :drool:

Oh, by the way! Does anyone know any writers that do about the same stuff as Stephen King?! I'm in desperate need!

I do read Dean Koontz at times but he's not King... and I have read "Floating Dragon" by Peter Straub, but it wasn't quite what I imagined... I believed he wrote the same style as King, but I didn't like his way of writing. I have read "A heart-shaped box" and "20th Century Ghosts" by Joe Hill, King's son... and he doesn't write stuff the same way either. Yeah I know there will only be one King of horror, but are there other authors even writing the same kind of stuff?! It seems to me most new(ish) novels are either lady-romance-historic type, or criminal novels. I'm not particularly fond of either. I want soul and scare, and a colourful language within a good story. :lol:

Have you tried Clive Barker yet? Some of his stuff is horror and other stuff is more along the lines of dark fantasy, but he's generally pretty sick and disturbing and he comes up with some great plots and characters. His stories aren't the same breed of horror as Stephen King, but he's still worth checking out if you're a fan of King. :jawdrop:

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got my hands on a copy of Little star by John Ajvide Lindqvist, and now I can't put it away. This man writes some of the most disturbing, horrifying stories I have ever read.

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Yay, I absolutely LOVE that book! I re-read it quite recently...just so funny and enjoyable.

I'm currently re-reading This Charming Man, by Marian Keyes. It's pretty much 'chick-lit' but the writer is sooooo good at creating believable characters that you actually care about, and discussing issues that usually only get brought up in much more serious novels. I highly recommend her books!

Edited by estrelleta