Sneeze Fetish Forum

New way to capture YouTube videos!

theangelicdaemon

Hey guys! I just found out that KeepVid is making you buy a program now to download videos from YouTube, and while I very much appreciated their service in the past, it always saddens me when good free services decide to charge :hug:

So, after discovering this I set out on a quest to find new ways of obtaining the embedded treasures (for school projects of course :drool: ) and found out that RealPlayer actually has an optional plugin now for your Firefox or Google Chrome web browser (apparently it's not a huge fan of IE... sorry folks, but get with the age, IE sucks <3 ) that allows you to simply click a link above the YouTube video as you watch it that will download whichever one you're viewing (HD, high, med, or low quality) and save it to your computer. On top of that wonderful feature, it also allows you to convert things from the .flv that's downloaded to WMVs and such (many you have to pay for, but WMV is free at least ^^) and it gives you trimming and exporting options as well! It's really an awesome little thing! So yeah... try it out! I'm amazingly impressed so far :rolleyes:

Link to the Real website: http://www.real.com/

Actually there is also a version for IE - I've been using it for a while, and it works very well! It also has the various converting and trimming features - I've never used them, but they are there.

So, no excuses... :hug:

Wow that is SO much more convenient than Keepvid.

I discovered last night that they now expect money for a service which has been free forever, so thanks for finding this alternative for us.

I have used DownloadHelper (which is a Firefox plugin) for a while; it's free, and has always worked perfectly well for me.

:omg: A way to keep your youtube vids? This is magical, I've never heard of such a thing! I used to just bookmark links in folders titled things that wouldn't give them away! I may need to look into this...

I also use the DownloadHelper Firefox plugin.

On a related note, does anyone have a good way to download videos from MySpace? They have recently changed their site to make this more difficult. DownloadHelper doesn't work and neither does trying to grab them from my browser cache. They are now using a streaming video protocol.

Hm... I don't know. RealPlayer doesn't seem to work either - it used to work until a while ago, but now it says "impossible to download". Funny, though: I started using it precisely because it could download streaming clips that KeepVid could not get to (namely Justin.tv) and it did work on those then. Well, if anyone has a solution, pass it on!

Archived