• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCakeIsAlive

• NoV

• Bondi

• Chanel_no5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm back on th Iain (M) Banks trail again!

'The Bridge' contains some great female sneezing, when a yound lady searches through a dusty closet.

'Use of Weapons' has some male sneezing early on in the story.

Has anyone else read any of his stuff? Nearly always a sneeze somewhere, kind of like another British author - David Mitchell (not the comedian!!) - who includes a serious amount of sneezes in his books - usually male unfortunately for me :( PM me if you want some more specific details :)

The book "Monkeewrench" by PJ Tracy has some male sneezing from dust near the end. Not very descriptive, but it's there. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Should have posted this before, but in the Alison Weir book 'Innocent Traitor' ( about Lady Jane Grey) it starts at the births of Lady Jane Grey and the future Edward VI, each chapter is narrated in first person- the chapter regarding Edwards birth is narrated by Jane Seymour, basically she has a difficult labour and at one stage describes "the midwife holds a handkerchief to my nose, it smells of pepper and makes me sneeze violently", it's not spelled out or anything, and as we know Jane died a few days after giving birth to Edward so the next chapter references that.

In another historical fiction book "The Queens Husband" ( about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert) one chapter mentions how they where out skating together on a lake and the ice broke and Albert fell in, afterwards the narrative says that "Albert was sneezing violently" the book always points out Albert's tendency to catch colds and poor health.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know if its being mentioned on this topic, but Whatever Love Means by David Baddiel has lots and lots of sneezing in it, the main character Vic has hay fever and its quite a big part of the story. I wont ruin it by telling you why :bleh:

But aside from the sneezing, its a really good book about adultery amd betrayal etc. I would definitly recommend it :)

For lovers of sneezing-while-hiding, Graham Greene's 'The Quiet American' has a scene where the main character has to avoid just that (unsuccessfully).

Guys, Neil Gaiman has written a children's book, and it hasn't come out yet. I was put off because it was a panda, but for anyone that doesn't share my loathing of pandas, this may be in your interests. because look at the page he's teasing with.

YES, it's a children's book about the Sneezing Panda meme, as strange as it sounds. The art style is wonderful, though biggrin.png I think it comes out today, actually. Today or tomorrow, I don't remember.

Edit: It actually came out yesterday, but my point still stands xD

Edited by Paws

And if that audio-read weren't enough, have this as well, at the end of the video:

I apologize in advance since this is kind of thread hijacking but it's also still on-topic at the same time.

OH MY GOD I THINK I HAVE DIED THIS MUST BE HEAVEN WHAT IS AIR

Also not specifically books, but books-related, author John Green is going to be speaking at Carnegie Hall on Tuesday at which time he may-or-may-not have the flu. The event is going to be livestreamed to his youtube channel. (source)

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading a book called Year Zero by Rob Reid. It's a very funny book in which the entire universe thinks that Earth has the best music and before they became familiar with our laws they pirated so much Earth music that the entire universe became bankrupt due to fines.

Anyway in the book two male characters have colds so there's sporadic sneezing in it and one of the characters is described as having really huge sneezes. It didn't really do anything for me cause colds aren't my thing, but I absolutely loved the book based on the plot and humor content. So fetish content aside I'd really recommend this book to anyone who enjoys authors like Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Terry Pratchett fans in particular will really appreciate the use of humorous footnotes.

I'm currently reading Nick Hornby's classic "High Fidelity" and I love it!

Towards the end, the main character Rob calls his ex girlfriend Laura because there was a message for her on the answering machine.

He doesnt know that her dad had died this morning and she was crying the whole time.

When he hears her stuffy voice over the phone he greets her with "wow that cold is enough for two!"

I thought that was cute, albeit the whole scene is rather sad.

• 2 months later...

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones is the most perfect example I've ever found. The main character Howl (perhaps you've seen the movie based off the novel?) spends a decent two or three chapters with a nasty cold. The illness is greatly detailed, and I would think it was written by a fetishist if all the sneezes were spelled out. Other than the awesome illness scenes, the book itself it wonderful!

I remember that Nathanel (the young magician) falls ill in the first book of the Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud .

But I don't think it was too detailed, maybe about one chapter? But the circumstances how he caught cold are sweet :)

I need to look for that scene, if I find it, I'll post a little bit of it on here!

Whatever Love Means by David Baddiel is truly wonderful wub.png

Edited by TheCakeIsALie
Threads merged so removed link.

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells involves the titular character having a cold throughout most of the book, and his sneezes are mentioned quite a few times.

The book Need by Carrie Jones. The main character, Zara, sneezes twice from dust.

Thank you all so much for the help! I'm going to check all of these out. I didn't realize there was that much fetish material out there. This is rather exciting!

I just remembered this from my childhood. Enid Blyton wrote a series of books called 'The Naughtiest Girl in the School'. One of them is something like '...Becomes a Monitor'. There's a whole scene lasting a number of pages where someone puts sneezing powder in the pages of the girl's textbook. As she turns the pages she's beset by a long and well-described sneezing fit, and gets sent out for disrupting the class.

A bit too similar to something that happened to me at school for me to really enjoy the memory, though.