• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCakeIsAlive

• NoV

• Bondi

• Chanel_no5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say 'yet' because I have not started the rather epic sequel 'Words of Radiance' and there is still every chance that this character's allergies may play into the plot...

Quoting myself, because I have now waded through the weighty 'Words of Radiance' and there is indeed sneezing in it. The character Shallan Devar stifles a sneeze due to pollen allergies at one point and there is another mention about how much she sneezes due to her allergies during another scene. For those who like their epic fantasy, I feel this series of books is a must... :D

• 2 weeks later...

101 Ways to Bug Your Parents.

Sneezing, sneezing, sneezing. The main characters nickname is even Sneeze!! My sister gave it to me a few years back and I surprised to find sneezing. The whole book is actually worth reading, but the sneezing parts are just...great.

Also in The Baby-Sitters Club series, Logan (who is a member of the club) has a little brother named Hunter who has major allergies. Unfortunately, Hunter is rarely in the series but in the book "Mary Anne and the Search for Tigger" he has a few sneezing parts.

Later in the series (books #90 and beyond) there's a new character named Abby Stevenson who has major allergies and her sneezing parts are fantastic. I wish they made movies with her character because she seems pretty hot and I'd love to see her sneeze in real life :shocking:

I just scanned this entire thread to make sure the book I was thinking of hadn't yet been mentioned. Spellbinder by Melanie Rawn has a fair amount if sneezing. The protagonist (female) has an allergy that becomes a significant plot point.

Now THAT is something I'd like to see OwO
  • 1 month later...

Okay guys I know I posted about it on here somewhere else a while back when I was on the second book....but...I'm going to go ahead and call it. Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series...she HAS to be one of us. I mean I'm on the 5th book, and not a single one goes by without the mention of sneezing or illness, usually in reference to the main character, Jamie.

There's obviously a lot of plot and wonderful character development and such, but even then the character's noses are ALWAYS mentioned. Right now Jamie is sick again, and although she doesn't spell out the sneezes...she mentions them. And in the second book he had an allergy attack from hyacinth. The first couple of times I thought...oh well this must tie into the plot later. Nope. It was just there.

I mean, it reads like a fic sometimes! A lot of hurt/comfort. God it's wonderful. But I just can't help but think....she MUST be one of us. Right? If not, why so often? I mean, trust me I am NOT complaining, just burning with curiosity.

Thoughts? Anyone out there read some, if not all of the Outlander series? Mmmmh Jamie is delicious!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys I know I posted about it on here somewhere else a while back when I was on the second book....but...I'm going to go ahead and call it. Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series...she HAS to be one of us. I mean I'm on the 5th book, and not a single one goes by without the mention of sneezing or illness, usually in reference to the main character, Jamie.

There's obviously a lot of plot and wonderful character development and such, but even then the character's noses are ALWAYS mentioned. Right now Jamie is sick again, and although she doesn't spell out the sneezes...she mentions them. And in the second book he had an allergy attack from hyacinth. The first couple of times I thought...oh well this must tie into the plot later. Nope. It was just there.

I mean, it reads like a fic sometimes! A lot of hurt/comfort. God it's wonderful. But I just can't help but think....she MUST be one of us. Right? If not, why so often? I mean, trust me I am NOT complaining, just burning with curiosity.

Thoughts? Anyone out there read some, if not all of the Outlander series? Mmmmh Jamie is delicious!

Outlander is WONDERFUL! :wub: I agree that the h/c content is amazing. I don't think she's a fetishist. I think it has to do more with Clare being a nurse and the general poorer health of people in that time period. But it's chock-full of hurt/care (I mean, sea sick Jamie! Wow!). The hyacinth scene does seem totally random and gratuitous though! I think I love the bit in the 2nd book when he's got a bad cold the most though :)

Outlander is WONDERFUL! wub.png I agree that the h/c content is amazing. I don't think she's a fetishist. I think it has to do more with Clare being a nurse and the general poorer health of people in that time period. But it's chock-full of hurt/care (I mean, sea sick Jamie! Wow!). The hyacinth scene does seem totally random and gratuitous though! I think I love the bit in the 2nd book when he's got a bad cold the most though smile.png

I always rather loved the hyacinth bit. Absolutely gratuitous but lovely! And it did always make me wonder a bit, as I did feel she did take things a bit further than other authors description wise.

If you guys haven't gotten to the 5th book...well it's the most impressive. Jamie is really sick with an awful cold that gets into his chest, and he's got it through a few chapters. There's sneezing and coughing, fever and a lot of hoarseness. Lovely!

'Ghosts' by John Banville has a scene featuring a prolonged fit of loud sneezes from a butler who is coming down with a cold. There is also speculation about who he caught the cold from and descriptions of the mess he makes when he sneezes towards the floor

'I have a bed made of buttermilk pancakes' by Jaclyn Moriarty. It is a sweet whimsical story and one of the main characters has allergies throughout the story and a cold at one point. Really recomend it.

• 1 month later...

Some folks have mentioned The Dresden Files books (which have tons, upon tons of really great h/c stuff jampacked into every single novel in the series, in addition to the sneezes from Storm Front). However, I noticed that nobody has mentioned the Dresden Files graphic novels! The graphic novel Ghoul Goblin (which fits in story-wise between Fool Moon and Grave Peril) sees Harry suffering through a head cold for the entire story. He sneezes once in panel, and makes reference to it several times, even using tissues on panel twice. Though the artist missed the opportunity to fully illustrate the situation (there's no reddened nose and cheeks, and there's just the one on-panel sneeze), there should be enough to make any fetishist Dresden fan happy.

In the short story anthology Make Something up: Stories You Can't Unread by Chuck Palahniuk, which was released 5 days ago, there is a story called "Tunnel of Love." At one point in the story, the main character recounts the worst massage he ever had to one of his clients, in which back in 1985, the massage therapist, he says, must've had a bad head cold or allergies because she kept sneezing all over him and he goes into detail about what it felt like. At one point he says "She did it so easily that I started to wonder if it wasn't a new kind of massage. Without missing a beat, she'd just rub the next sneeze into my skin. It must've saved her a fortune in oil."

• 1 month later...

This is bugging me. Children's book I remember reading, I remember two stories but there may have been more.

In one case, the brother and sister are having a roller skating race, she is losing but then sneezes and rockets backwards to the finish line winning the race.

In another they are made to clean / tidy up and she sneezes so that the dirt on her ... trainers?... flies in to his.

Bugs me that I can't recall the title - ad K recall it was heavy on the talking while dneezing.

This is bugging me. Children's book I remember reading, I remember two stories but there may have been more.

In one case, the brother and sister are having a roller skating race, she is losing but then sneezes and rockets backwards to the finish line winning the race.

In another they are made to clean / tidy up and she sneezes so that the dirt on her ... trainers?... flies in to his.

Bugs me that I can't recall the title - ad K recall it was heavy on the talking while dneezing.

I think I can remember reading the same story, but alas, cannot remember the title either. I remember in one part, they are in a shoe shop or something, and stamps her foot or something, causing the dust to make her sneeze and blow all the shoes of the shelf... I'm pretty sure it is the same story. Hopefully we'll discover the name of it :)

• 2 months later...

There's a children's book called A Sick Day For Amos McGee about a zookeeper who's too sick to go to work so the animals come visit him. Very cute.

I actually discovered this one through sfgooglebooks, but it's worth a share here:

Bewitching by Jill Barnett is a (historically rich) love story that features the main character Joy -- a Scottish witch -- having the power to conjure up whatever she is thinking about when she sneezes. She catches a cold about halfway through the book when she and her husband are stranded together, and later on has a few run-ins with accidentally inhaling a friend's snuff during a party.

And while there's no sneezing mentioned during this part, her husband (Alec) comes down with the measles at one point. Which is adorable and so very amusing.

Edited by Paws

Does anyone recall which Nancy Drew has Bess sneezing while hiding? It's the one that you can google a fetishy sample of the graphic novel reboot - Mr Cheeters is missing.

Late night memories of early fetish awareness!

• 1 month later...

Hellstrom Hive, by Frank Herbert, has a female character named Clovis, who stifles a sneeze from grass dust when she and her agency is about to prepare for a raid upon said hive, which is located on a farm. It would be hard to call her a major character as the closest thing this book has to a main character is Hellstrom, and most of the other characters up to this point (I'm 80% through the book) have died right when they kind of started to get the least bit interesting. Overall, yeah, this book is nowhere near as awesome as Dune but is engaging enough to read through to the end of its 300 or so page-count. There's also another male character Carlos (I don't remember his last name at the moment) who holds back his sneezes early on in the book from grass dust.

Oh man, there's some great material in this thread. I can think of a couple examples to add:

-In one of the books in Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont's Malazan Book of the Fallen series (I thiiiink it was the fifth book, Midnight Tides?), a female character called Seren Pedac has a severe allergic sneezing fit as a reaction to some kind of spore or plant. (Highly recommend the series as a whole, though the books are very long and can be hard to get into; it's a unique fantasy series with a diverse and huge cast of characters, which avoids a lot of the usual tropes you see in high fantasy.)

-The Strangers in Paradise graphic novel series has a number of sneezing scenes, usually female. One of the main characters even has a name that sounds like a sneeze ("Katchoo", short for Katina Choovanski). (Not gonna lie, I wonder if the author of this series is one of "us"?)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading The Laughing Policeman for one of my classes. It is the 4th of a 10-book-series, in which the main character is the policeman detective Martin Beck. In this particular work, he is suffering from a cold throughout the whole book!

Most of all, he just coughs and blows his nose (lots of mentions of those), and he only sneezed once. Sad, but still... (it was rather hard to focus on the plot when I was aware that the main character had a cold and I kept waiting for a mention... :P )

• 5 months later...

Just finished reading FRISK by Phaedra Noble. The sexy main male character catches a beaut of a cold half way through the book and there is a sneezy suggestion of him coming down with another after dashing outside in a blizzard having just got out of the shower. Loved this book. Might just go back and read it again... :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2015 at 11:10 PM, Dynein said:

Some folks have mentioned The Dresden Files books (which have tons, upon tons of really great h/c stuff jampacked into every single novel in the series, in addition to the sneezes from Storm Front). However, I noticed that nobody has mentioned the Dresden Files graphic novels! The graphic novel Ghoul Goblin (which fits in story-wise between Fool Moon and Grave Peril) sees Harry suffering through a head cold for the entire story. He sneezes once in panel, and makes reference to it several times, even using tissues on panel twice. Though the artist missed the opportunity to fully illustrate the situation (there's no reddened nose and cheeks, and there's just the one on-panel sneeze), there should be enough to make any fetishist Dresden fan happy.

You are a saint. Thank you for this - I was dabbling in a Dresden sicfic, but ohhh I will DEFINITELY need to check this out. :jump: