Sneeze Fetish Forum

Separate boards for men and women?

Anonymouse

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is another third way; just have a menstruation forum.

That's a cool idea! A menstruation forum, with a fitting red color theme!

... :eek:

Shouldn't the first step simply be to reply to a PM and make it clear that you don't appreciate being approached like that?

Give the offender at least the chance to show his good intentions :razz: If that doesn't work you can still report to the staff.

You know haeeshoo this sounds very good but doesn't work in practice. Pardon my feminism but I think that we women are taught to be polite and over-considerate in situations like this; and we are also told constantly that if we get attention that makes us uncomfortable, the first thing to do is to look at one's own behaviour to find out "if I was asking for it". I think this sort of "give the offender at least a chance" spirit here is the last thing we need if we don't want to need more sub-forums.

It would be all much easier if everone, even women and girls, felt there was nothin wrong with blocking any user and turning down any attention they want to ignore without needing to justify themselves.

It is also possible to block any member from PMing you, if you wish to stop someone who is non-threatening but persistent. I know that pig wrote a discouraging message on her profile about this sort of thing. She tells me she it has worked rather well.

Exactly yes! That is the most irritating kind - persistent, makes one uncomfortable, yet not threatening in a way that would make it feel allright to complain about it to a staff member. As the last thing we want to be is hysterical women persecuting innocent men, you know?

The discouraging message has worked very well I think but there's a couple of things to it. It took me a long time to become arrogant enough to put it in there. Also, I already had some friends on the forum so I wasn't too concerned if putting the message up would turn down people who would genuinely want to know me, and that way isolate myself.

I don't want to scare off people who might want to talk with me about the fetish. Or other stuff. But the stress is on the word "about". I don't want anyone trying to indulge theirs using me. I enjoy the meta-discussion about the fetish but I don't want random people PMing me about how they have been sneezing today. It would be brillant if there was an obvious way to state that clearly in the profile.

Shouldn't the first step simply be to reply to a PM and make it clear that you don't appreciate being approached like that?

Give the offender at least the chance to show his good intentions :eek: If that doesn't work you can still report to the staff.

You know haeeshoo this sounds very good but doesn't work in practice. Pardon my feminism but I think that we women are taught to be polite and over-considerate in situations like this; and we are also told constantly that if we get attention that makes us uncomfortable, the first thing to do is to look at one's own behaviour to find out "if I was asking for it". I think this sort of "give the offender at least a chance" spirit here is the last thing we need if we don't want to need more sub-forums.

It would be all much easier if everone, even women and girls, felt there was nothin wrong with blocking any user and turning down any attention they want to ignore without needing to justify themselves.

(edit: clearly I didn't read your whole post, pig, so the following may not apply to you directly but I still felt it deserves to be said! :razz:)

Don't get me wrong, I've been the victim of harassment on this forum (and elsewhere online) before, so I definitely know where you're coming from, but at the same time this is the internet. People say and do things under the veil of relative anonymity the internet affords us simply because they "aren't able to" IRL.

My guess is that most of the guys (and girls!) who send truly malicious and inappropriate PMs are doing so out of cowardice and only because it's simple to harass a name on a screen rather than having to deal with someone in person.

I spent a lot of time wringing my hands and wondering what to do when these messages came through, and eventually I figured I'd take a page out of their books. If they can take advantage of anonymity, so can I, and I should have no fear of telling some creepy shark to either back off or threaten reporting them to the Staff.

They never bother me again after that. If it was a genuine member who wanted to converse and made an error in judgment, I'm sure they'd explain themselves either to me or to the Staff, but I never hear back after I stand my ground. There is no reason to feel the need to "justify" anything. IMO, telling a creep to back off is not justification. You don't need to give a reason, just state your business ("I don't appreciate these kinds of messages, kindly refrain from discussing such matters with me or else I may need to get the Staff involved") and, hey, if it makes you feel better? Send us a message either way letting us know what's going on in your inbox. We like keeping abreast of the more sneaky types who stick to PMs so that we can keep track of the troublemakers.

Back to the original topic, I do believe that adding a "Boys'/Girls' Club" distinction seems like a good idea in theory but simply wouldn't be practical (and even more so if it's just a place for the ladies to do period talk or man-bash).

As a sidenote, I'd like to echo tma's offer and state that any sensitive "girl issues" that anyone may feel uncomfortable posting about on the boards can always be directed to my inbox. I'm not qualified by any means, but I certainly don't mind listening and offering my two cents or helping anyone look for otherwise helpful resources.

The Staff have always got your (collective) back! Even if you're not sure of how to reply to a sketchy-sounding PM, please don't hesitate to shoot one of us a message. We're not just good for "forum business", we're members too and I think I speak for everyone on Staff when I say we'd be more than happy just to discuss anything that warrants concern. :D Please don't be shy. We don't bite (hard) and we're good folks. If you're having an issue with anyone (including someone on Staff -- hey, we all have folks we don't get along with) any one of us would be happy to hear from you and we can discuss any course of action you'd like to take.

I don't want to scare off people who might want to talk with me about the fetish. Or other stuff. But the stress is on the word "about". I don't want anyone trying to indulge theirs using me.

SO MUCH THIS. A lot of these guys think they're being all sneaky and casual, but it's like...dude, I know you're going to try to get your covert jollies once you get your foot in the door. Murphy don't play dat. IGNORED.

Firstly, bear in mind that if there was a women's board, it wouldn't be an adult forum.
Back to the original topic, I do believe that adding a "Boys'/Girls' Club" distinction seems like a good idea in theory but simply wouldn't be practical (and even more so if it's just a place for the ladies to do period talk or man-bash).

And on Prodigy's point, a women's or men's board wouldn't be a snake pit either, so any bashing would have to be done on the public boards anyway.

I feel like it's easy to forget that this is a SEXUAL forum. A lot of people aren't here to make friends or to have deep, philosophical conversations with people. It's nice that some of us can have that - I can't imagine my life without some of the folks I've met here, quite a few who I count amongst my best friends - but the fact is that this is a fetish board. People are going to shark you. I used to get sharked ALL the time before I married McHotPants. All it simply takes now is for me to say, "I'm not interested," or, if I have to, "I would prefer if you never contacted me again. Please don't make me take this further." The latter has happened maybe 3 times since I returned from my hiatus between 2007 and 2008. But again, it goes back to this being a fetish forum. Some people are here to get off, and that's one of the reasons why boards like this exist! Some of us have been lucky enough to connect with people on a deeper level, but I don't think that's something you should expect when coming here. People are jacking off to your words, folks...it's only a matter of time before they want to say something to you about it. :blushing:

I agree with count and the others who said that the separation is enough as it is.

It is a fetish forum, which is why I think some level of protection is needed for those of us who don't want to be harrassed. We can't really expect not to be because of the nature of the forum, and because of the nature of being female, ever, anywhere, under any circumstances. It might be a sexual forum, but I think a lot of people here are only interested in interacting with others who understand their fetish, not in hooking up. Unwanted sexual comments directed at you can be really unsettling, and while the fact that it's on the Internet makes them easier to deal with, that doesn't mean we should just have to be okay with them.

It is a fetish forum, which is why I think some level of protection is needed for those of us who don't want to be harrassed. We can't really expect not to be because of the nature of the forum, and because of the nature of being female, ever, anywhere, under any circumstances. It might be a sexual forum, but I think a lot of people here are only interested in interacting with others who understand their fetish, not in hooking up. Unwanted sexual comments directed at you can be really unsettling, and while the fact that it's on the Internet makes them easier to deal with, that doesn't mean we should just have to be okay with them.

There is about as much "protection" against harassment on this forum as there is in real life. The fact of the matter is that there is no way to completely avoid these undesirables -- they will continue to prey upon whomever they wish even if there is a separate board dedicated to womens' (and mens') issues, and they'll continue to be sneaky about it. Where do we draw the line between protection and complete segregation? If these people are bothering you (collective) about fetish-related issues, does that mean we should then restrict observations and the like to only similar-gendered members? I realize that this seems like a ridiculous option since the whole point of fetish-based boards is to contribute and share with the community as members are willing -- and I believe that the same is true of the off-topic (including Adult and Youth) boards. You post there because you have something valuable to contribute, not because you are forced to.

You can and should expect that your time spent on this forum can be perceived as safe and fun regardless of gender, age, sexual preferences, religion, race... All of these factors are covered as part of the inclusion policy listed in the Constitution. You should feel confident in the Staff to back you up should you raise a concern and at the same time you should feel confident in your own ability to attempt to put a stop to any unwanted PMs. This does not mean "just having to be okay" with unwanted contact. On the contrary, I believe it should be empowering to know that the Staff is committed to a rewarding and enjoyable experience for every member and that we are willing to take steps to discipline and weed out undesirable ne'er-do-wells.

There is about as much "protection" against harassment on this forum as there is in real life. The fact of the matter is that there is no way to completely avoid these undesirables -- they will continue to prey upon whomever they wish even if there is a separate board dedicated to womens' (and mens') issues, and they'll continue to be sneaky about it. Where do we draw the line between protection and complete segregation? If these people are bothering you (collective) about fetish-related issues, does that mean we should then restrict observations and the like to only similar-gendered members? I realize that this seems like a ridiculous option since the whole point of fetish-based boards is to contribute and share with the community as members are willing -- and I believe that the same is true of the off-topic (including Adult and Youth) boards. You post there because you have something valuable to contribute, not because you are forced to.

Yeah. And what happens if a lesbian is inappropriate with me? I'm not being facetious, by the way...it's simply another scenario that absolutely can exist. Separating the boards by gender so you don't get harrassed sure leaves out the gays, lesbians, and bisexuals here.

The world is an unfair place. Take responsibility for your own safety, because it's far too difficult, as Prodigy says, to completely avoid people who are less than respectful. If anyone here is threatening you or making you nervous, report them to the staff. Think of the staff as the police in your city. Do what you can to keep yourself safe!

I personally would prefer this didn't happen, but my reasons are so much in the minority that my view perhaps shouldn't really be bothered about.

I personally would prefer this didn't happen, but my reasons are so much in the minority that my view perhaps shouldn't really be bothered about.

Your view counts as much as anyone else's. Never think otherwise.

:twisted:

Give the offender at least the chance to show his good intentions ;) If that doesn't work you can still report to the staff.

I know I would take it very seriously if someone told me to back off.

Am I the only decent person (in this respect at least) on this forum? I hope not.

With "Giving a last chance" I was really thinking of sending a cease and desist msg: "Leave me alone or I'll report you to the staff".

I see very limited kindness and only basic politeness in such reply, but I find it a bit sneaky to report someone to the staff immediately before

giving that person a chance to back off voluntarily. It's like calling the police because your neighbours make too much noise,

without asking your neighbours to diminish their volume first. I don't know - maybe customs are different here.

Just a couple of things.

First... count- where is all this division in the boards that you are referring to? ;) I believe that if you are going to allude to it, you do it in the open so that everyone knows of what you are speaking of (so that there aren't misunderstandings :heart: ). The way that things are I don't see a lot of divisions.

Ok... I know this isn't necessarily popular, but- in *my* opinion- "Sexual"- does NOT mean the same thing to everyone- and not everyone is comfortable with the same things.

I know that things happen here and everywhere. I also know that people *Can* and should report things- and be honest if a situation is uncomfortable. The reason that I offer my support and why I know that there are other wonderful people that will help out others is because 1) It is Very difficult for some people(myself included) to tell someone "no thank you". It *feels* impolite- I *know* that it isn't- but it took me a Long time to feel comfortable doing that (because usually the people pestering need Extreme bluntness). Due to this I have had a couple of people question that I actually have the fetish :hug: 2) Also, sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint why you feel uncomfortable and a person might want to bounce their situation over with a non-judgemental person.

One other thing that I have noticed is that if someone has been a member of the community for a Long time it is Very difficult for people- especially young/ and/or new members to find courage to report or say that something makes them uncomfortable because they feel that they *must* be mistaken or that no one will believe them.

Note- I am NOT pushing for more separate boards- just encouraging people in my own goofy way to *Know* that this is a safe community and there are staff and members who care and are protective and supportive.

Ok... long-winded waffling is over.

And on Prodigy's point, a women's or men's board wouldn't be a snake pit either, so any bashing would have to be done on the public boards anyway.

I didn't suggest separate forums so that the genders could bash each other in secret. I don't really like the idea of members bashing other members, openly or privately. After reading everyone's reasoning I'm not really trying to advocate for male/female boards anymore. It was just an idea that came to me so I wanted to see what others thought about it, and I see now that it just wouldn't be practical.

It is Very difficult for some people(myself included) to tell someone "no thank you". It *feels* impolite- I *know* that it isn't- but it took me a Long time to feel comfortable doing that (because usually the people pestering need Extreme bluntness).

I think this is my problem. I know I should grow up and take responsibility for my own safety and comfort but I have a sort of learned helplessness thing with creepy guys (I haven't had a girl contact me in a way that made me uncomfortable in a while, and never on this forum). If they're making me feel uncomfortable sometimes I can't do much except feebly protest, and of course that probably doesn't get my true feelings across. I just get irrationally frightened of being blunt or even outright ignoring/blocking them.

But again, it goes back to this being a fetish forum. Some people are here to get off, and that's one of the reasons why boards like this exist! Some of us have been lucky enough to connect with people on a deeper level, but I don't think that's something you should expect when coming here. People are jacking off to your words, folks...it's only a matter of time before they want to say something to you about it. :hug:

They can do that all they want, I just don't like hearing about it when my profile clearly states that I don't want to engage in 18+ discussion.

^ Basically my feelings in a nutshell. I found this forum by accident and I joined to learn more about this part of myself, not to find a fetish soulmate. ;)

I'm sorry if I offended any men (or women) by making this suggestion. That was not at all my intention. Most of the men and people in general I've talked to on here have been awesome and respectful. I just wanted to see what other options were available. I guess my problem did stem partially from some the PMs I've been getting, but also because I just feel more comfortable talking about certain things in general (not just my period) with other women. I guess I'll just have to stick to individually PMing other chicks. I wouldn't want to see people getting left out of discussions when they might have interesting things to contribute just because of their gender.

I know I would take it very seriously if someone told me to back off.

Am I the only decent person (in this respect at least) on this forum? I hope not.

With "Giving a last chance" I was really thinking of sending a cease and desist msg: "Leave me alone or I'll report you to the staff".

I see very limited kindness and only basic politeness in such reply, but I find it a bit sneaky to report someone to the staff immediately before

giving that person a chance to back off voluntarily. It's like calling the police because your neighbours make too much noise,

without asking your neighbours to diminish their volume first. I don't know - maybe customs are different here.

I don't think it's about different customs, it's about the fact that people have very different levels of comfort with confrontation. It might be more polite to talk to the neighbours and ask them nicely to be more quiet rather than make a call to the police, but I know from experience that some people find it incredibly stressful and unpleasant to have to do something like that.

We're all different, have different backgrounds and hang-ups and expectations and desires, but we just have to muddle through the same as anywhere else in life. You can't please all the people all the time, and measures that make some feel safer will make others feel oppressed. If there's one thing that almost always helps though, it's getting issues out in the open and discussing them, and in that spirit I'm glad this thread was started, whatever the outcome.

I wouldn't want to see people getting left out of discussions when they might have interesting things to contribute just because of their gender.

This in a way is a lot of what my own discomfort with the idea of separate boards is due to. Because, well, not everyone's gender and sex are going to be accurately reflected by what it says in their profile, especially not you are required to list your gender rather than being able to leave that area blank. My profile lists me as male which while it is a far more accurate description of how I see myself and present myself in the world it's not at all accurate in describing my anatomy, my genetics, or my life experiences and I would actually probably have a lot more to contribute to discussions on a "female" labeled board than I would a "male" labeled one. But then at the same time that feels awkward because if nothing else I'd be posting in there with "male" written under my user name which is pretty much the equivalent of walking into a women's toilet while sporting a beard; it doesn't matter what genitals you've got, you're going to stick out visually as seeming to not belong. And I'd simply feel a bit odd being segregated into a female board when I identify myself as being primarily masculine in gender. But it also seems unfair for me to then request to be given some sort special status and allowed access to both boards or something.

As I said before though, my concern is very, very narrow and statistically of the roughly 2,000 registered members it would likely only affect at most 5 people including me and it's somewhat absurd to suggest that the majority, if they want something, ought to be out-ruled by 5 people who happen to have unusual circumstances, even if their resulting concern is perfectly valid. If private male and female boards are made I can simply choose to ignore them entirely and so side-step the issue with the only downside being that I might miss some interesting conversations. But then such is life.

[
But again, it goes back to this being a fetish forum. Some people are here to get off, and that's one of the reasons why boards like this exist! Some of us have been lucky enough to connect with people on a deeper level, but I don't think that's something you should expect when coming here. People are jacking off to your words, folks...it's only a matter of time before they want to say something to you about it. :)

They can do that all they want, I just don't like hearing about it when my profile clearly states that I don't want to engage in 18+ discussion.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. People SHOULD respect our wishes not to engage in 18+ discussion. It's there on our profile for a reason, and it would be nice if it was looked at and cared about!

The only reason I'd want a female board would be primarily to discuss sexual/period things I wouldn't be comfortable openly talking about on the adult board. If they didn't have an 18+ section I wouldn't really be interested anyway xD I'm not concerned about crude messages or whatever, I'm perfectly happy telling people to buzz off (which I've had to do more often on other forums rather than this one, funnily enough xD) but I just don't feel comfortable posting overtly sexual stuff about myself where men can see it. It's the same reason I don't post self-obs. It feels a little akin to changing on a public beach rather than in a women-only changing room xD

Messaging friends is all very well, but if I'm curious about something sexually related and want to make a poll about other people's experiences for example, I wouldn't want to message all my female friends about it. That's just a bit weird :)

But - guys don't really even... talk. :lol: We already have enough topics about sports, beer and cars in the general off-topic board, don't we? :lol:

All kidding aside, my predictions are that a] the female board will be far more active than the men's :laugh:, and b] I will not use the male board all that often. However, I am not against the idea at all :nohappy: I'm all for it!

I didn't suggest separate forums so that the genders could bash each other in secret. I don't really like the idea of members bashing other members, openly or privately. After reading everyone's reasoning I'm not really trying to advocate for male/female boards anymore. It was just an idea that came to me so I wanted to see what others thought about it, and I see now that it just wouldn't be practical.

I know you didn't AnonyMouse, I was actually being a little glib with that comment - though I do also think it is an important point to emphasise what a new private board wouldn't be.

My concern with allowing this change to be made is that then we'll have all kinds of new registrations for people who wish to misrepresent their gender to get into the "other side"'s forum. The creepy PMs won't stop just because you're posting about your period in a more secluded spot :lol: (you all know, I hope, that you can block any member from PMing you, and if people complain to the staff about being harassed by others, we can remove their PM privileges). In other words, it will mean a massive amount of extra work for me (specifically). :laugh:

Seriously though? if someone is being all skeevy in PMs to you, TELL US. We can't help if we don't know. And no, we would never tell anyone who made the complaint.

I wanted to start by saying that I'm also really happy this thread was started, and I think it led to some really progressive discussion that's helped clarify some pretty important issues.

Personally, I'd not like to see gender-seperate boards created either, for pretty much the same reasons as already stated.

I also wanted to add the I absolutely hate the idea of creepy members of any gender dictating how anyone here posts. One of the things that I (and I know the staff all echo this sentiment) take the most pride in is working to keep this place safe - not only with respect to ensuring that the rules are being respected, but also that the our members feel safe here as well. I'll add to what everyone else has said here, if anyone makes you feel uncomfortable in any way - whether or not they're a longstanding member and you're brand new, whether or not they've broken the rules or are just being too persistant, I'm always here to listen and give advice, with assured anonymity. As Dom said, we do everything we can to make member safety our first priority here, so even if it's something as small as a "someone said this to me earlier and it made me feel uncomfortable - what should I do?" don't hesistate to send myself or any of the staff a PM and we'll do everything possible to work with you to find a solution that works. From what I've heard here much of the perception seems to be that once the staff are contacted it's going to result in a warning/trouble for someone else, but that definitely doesn't always have to be the case - sometimes it's just as helpful for all parties to keep things quiet and discuss what's going on.

While this is a sexually-based forum it all comes down to respect. Alot of us come here for sexual release, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, and as haeeshoo said I think most decently raised guys will be able to respect a female member's wishes if they're told they've overstepped somewhere. But at the same time there are others who lack that sense of respect and take advantage of whoever will let them, and to me that's unacceptable no matter the setting - sexual forum or otherwise. As much as it may seem impolite or difficult to some to seek out help to deal with them, it's these types who deserve some sort of consequences for their actions. There's also always the fact that if one person just tries to brush off being genuinely harrassed and the pepetrator faces no consequences for having done so, then they're basically free to carry out the same behaviour with other members - with the staff wholly unaware that anything's wrong.

In the end, I'd much rather our female members feel that they can come to us in any situation where they're nervous or uncomfortable (even if a majority of the cases don't require official staff intervention) than have members try and deal with everything on their own and have cases of serious harrassment slip through the cracks because of it.

There's definitely no perfect answer, but I at least wanted to reiterate that we're here for and more than willing to listen to anyone who'd like to come to us.

In the end, I'd much rather our female members feel that they can come to us in any situation where they're nervous or uncomfortable (even if a majority of the cases don't require official staff intervention) than have members try and deal with everything on their own and have cases of serious harrassment slip through the cracks because of it.

And vice versa with male members as well! In faaact, every member can contact the staff when they need to :D

While I think the idea of having two boards is a cool one, I don't personally feel the need to have a female exclusive board to talk with female members. (:

While this is a sexually-based forum it all comes down to respect. Alot of us come here for sexual release, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, and as haeeshoo said I think most decently raised guys will be able to respect a female member's wishes if they're told they've overstepped somewhere. But at the same time there are others who lack that sense of respect and take advantage of whoever will let them, and to me that's unacceptable no matter the setting - sexual forum or otherwise.

I do agree with this, and I hope that my first post didn't make it seem like I was saying, "Hey guys, this is a sexual forum, so just deal with the harrassment!" I know that I personally have been on the receiving end of that harrassment and it sucks. It REALLY sucks. And when you go out of your way to make it known on your profile that you're not interested in sexual discussions, those boundaries shouldn't be overstepped by anyone. I think I just felt a need to verbalize the fact that yes, in fact, people DO come here to get their jollies, and some come for that reason alone. So no, it's not a surprise when we get sharked (at least it's not to me) - and perhaps if we don't make it clear in our profiles, we can't really blame some members for trying to start conversations with us, even if they seem a bit sketchy. We're not exactly on a perfectly "innocent" forum. BUT...and this is the most important part...the first time you say, "I'm not interested," should be the LAST time it happens.

Hope I didn't come off too callous...didn't mean to! Beers all around, 'k? :D:unsure:

Personally, I would hate to see segregation like this happen. I'm not going to go into great detail as to my reasons since all my thoughts have already been stated by a number of people already, but I'd still like to add my vote. I think all that it would do is hurt the community as a whole since it would be cutting us in half, the concept over-generalizes and is unfair to anyone that doesn't fall into the stereotypical role of their gender, and it wouldn't stop harassment but only increase the number of people who lie.

Honestly, I always find it extremely interesting when a man shares his thoughts on a predominantly 'female' topic, and vice versa. It's getting a perspective from 'the other side' or however you want to put it and, when done respectfully, is generally thought-provoking and enjoyable. I'd hate to see that vanish because of a few creeps that are going to find ways to harass no matter what sort of walls you put up. And I vehemently agree with the point that once segregation like that starts it opens the door for more and more groups to close themselves off and this wonderful melting pot of a community will become fragmented and will be much lesser for it.

Archived