Sneeze Fetish Forum

What's everyone think of the new look?

Pilgrim

My reaction was about as follows:

"Oh what hey, total overhaul! We're like some kinda tumblr facebook group thing now or something. This is weird, but I guess kinda cool. Gonna be hard to get used to. Guess I'll poke around...hm everything seems about where it is...huh wonder what's in...the...chat...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

;_;

What do y'all think?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like it. It's confusing as hell and far less organized. Who updates something to be less organized? I wish we could change back. It was fine the way it was. I find this change unnecessary. It looks weird too. But I guess I'll have to get used to it

I agree with whymilk. It's horrible. I wonder why everything always have to be so flashy, why can't anything be simple and classy nowadays? It felt as if I had gone home to my own place where I've lived for years, and suddenly someone had made a complete makeover of everything, making sure I don't feel at home anymore.

Besides, it looks like the security and integrity level has gone down. It usually does when they update to make things more flashy. Kind of worries me.

Agreed, I don't like the 'like' feature because I kind of feel like it makes posts seem like a popularity contest...if that makes sense?

My reaction was is something like OMGWTFHOWDOICHANGEITBACK!!!!!!

It's horrible. I don't like it. Possibly I'll get used to it, but ugh...Chanel about covered it. I hate it when websites completely overhaul their format...

>:C

And do we not have live chat at all now? Whyyyy?

And - a bug? - the "like this" thing appears to be non-functional. Told me I'd reached my quota of positive votes for the day the first time I tried it.

Very applicable here: Why fix what isn't broken??

*Goes to sulk in the corner*

One word: ugly.

If the live chat is gone forever, heads are going to roll. [insert FFFFUUUUU RAGE-face here]

The blogs seems to be gone as well (at least I haven't found them). And the messenger function looks weird. I quite preferred the inbox and outgoing box for messages, instead of these weird "conversations". It confuses me. :bawl:

Probably my biggest issue with this new layout is the 'like' button. Not because it's too socialmedia-ish, but because it tells people that they don't have to reply to posts. It will reduce the feeling on companionship because it makes communication unnecessary. You can get to know someone through their replies and a general 'like' isn't very friendly.

Furthermore, I don't know about other people, but when I post a story the replies are so heart-warming and encouraging that it fuels my desire to write. A 'like' is just going to seem dismissive. In a place with stories and artwork I don't think a 'like' button is acceptable.

... end of rant :bawl:

Okay, before everyone starts leaving in their droves and saying we've destroyed the forum, allow me to first apologise and then explain.

First, I'm sorry we weren't able to give you any prior warning of this upgrade happening. I requested notice from our hosts as to when they were going to carry it out and got nothing.

We've been upgraded to the latest version of the IPBoard Software. This change was carried out by the hosts and not by me, however I obviously gave my consent for it to go ahead. The hosts tell me it was a necessary change as they will be moving the forum to a new server in the next week or two which is not compatible with the old version of the software. This new server will, they say provide faster service and shorter loading times.

As the upgrade was carried out without warning and after I left for work this morning then I can't see or do anything right now. However I'll be looking into everything as soon as I'm home tonight. I will definitely be getting the blogs back and live chat will be there as well.

The most important thing to say right now is don't panic. This look is not here to stay by any means however since it was thrown at me without warning there's nothing I or any of the rest of the Staff could do to prepare for it.

Once again please accept my apologies and thank you in advance for your patience while we get everything sorted!

~High on Lullabies

*hugs* Don't stress, hon. It's just one of those gut-reaction things that people are having. You explaned things (as usual) very nicely and I'm sure that for as "WHAT!!??!!" as we felt- it was much moreso for you.

I actually at first thought that I somehow had pressed a wrong button and gotten onto a totally different site. :blushing:

Anyway... HoL - no stressing allowed- do what you need to for normal life and we know that you will restore order to the universe as soon as you can. :hug::bawl:

This happened over on the red forum as well. From what I understand the software provider isn't really giving forum owners a choice in the matter. Something to do with security issues in part. There's not really anything that can be done, we have to deal whether we like it or not. On the whole, I think a lot of the new features are actually really nice. Though I agree about the "like" button, I think it's a terrible thing to have on a forum. And I really do hope there's a way to get the chatroom back! It'd be terrible if we lost that. Aesthetically though there may be the possibility of importing other skins that aren't deemed as ugly. I don't mind this one so much, but it's definitely got room to improve.

Edit: Okay, no, you're right, the layout on the main page is hideous. Once you get into a thread it's fine, but the home page is indeed ugly. Someone needs to fire whoever designed this layout laughing.gif

Edit #2: ARGH! Emoticon fail! I hope that can be fixed? Oh well...

Well I haven't had too much chance to look around yet, but I have to say that from what I've seen so far, I really hate the new look as well. The main page is not only ugly, but it also hurts my eyes for some reason, and while the actual topic pages are somewhat more aesthetically pleasing, I'm finding that they are also putting a strain on my eyes as well.

Maybe my eyes will get used to it after awhile and it won't hurt so much, but I'd rather not have to. I really liked the forum exactly the way it was, and it just felt like it was a case of, it wasn't broken so why fix it.

I have to say that I'm not fond of the like feature for reasons others have mentioned. I also noticed all these buttons to share stuff via Twitter, Facebook, Digg, etc, and that actually makes me really uncomfortable.

ETA: Another problem I noticed is that with the old layout, you used to be able to change certain aspects about the way you viewed the forum which doesn't seem to be possible anymore from what I can see. Like you used to be able to choose how many topics you would see listed on one page, and how many posts on one page within a topic. I used to have those settings set on the maximum you could view one one page, which I think was like 100. I had it set like this cause even if it took somewhat longer to load, I preferred that over clicking through more pages of topics/posts.

HOL: I don't think anyone was or will be attacking you on this matter. I think everyone realised that it was a host thing. *hug* But it was a shock and it looks absolutely god-awful. I'm however totally confident that you (and staff) will be able to sort this out in some way, at least to some extent. You always do. *joins VoOs in worshipping*

And yes, I'm with Shayla... the whole "sharing on FB"-links... makes me uncomfortble. As does the fact that Google and other search engines are here; maybe they always were and only listed as guests, but it seems unpleasant to me. Security and integrity are very important to me when it comes to this place, and like I stated before, it seems the flashier the layout, the less security it has. Are we CERTAIN guests and search engines can't view private boards or settings, because upgrading often seems to chafe up privacy?

God, I wish things could just stay classy instead of being upgraded to the modern hype of tackiness.

Yes, over in another place this happened last week and they have already managed to import some skins, or "Themes" [so it is now green instead of red!]. And blogs are being restored.

Years ago wasn't there briefly a sort of "[like" button? I think it was so unpopular it was soon removed....

Archived