Sneeze Fetish Forum

OCD Issue--Anxious and Jealous of Sister

Celeb Obsessed

All my life, I've been a worrier, worrying about EVERYTHING, including some really stupid stuff that never happened. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for several years now, and he prescribed me Paxil. And I've been in and out of therapy as well. I feel like I have OCD (without the compulsive tendencies) because I tend to obsess and lose sleep and my appetite over it.uhhuh.gif

What's currently bothering me is the fact that I'm jealous of my younger sister. She's 23 and neither of us have ever had a boyfriend. She really wanted one, but I didn't care that much, and she recently met this great guy. He's cute, funny, smart, and romantic, and they're not officially going out yet, but they do like each other. I want to be happy for her because she's been miserable without any romance in her life, but all I can think about is how much I need someone like that in my life--a sweet, great guy who will like me, and the feeling will be mutual. I even panic about developing feelings for my sister's guy and how awkward that would be. And I haven't even met him yet. This sounds totally crazy, I know. All I want right now is to get relief from my anxiety and come to terms with this new shock. So yeahhh...that's what's on my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I know how you feel, in part at least. My sister is four years younger than me, and she just got her first boyfriend. I myself have never had a boyfriend, nor much intimate experience in general, so it is kind of hard for me not to be jealous. I wish I could give you substantial advice, but seeing as I'm in the same boat, I can only give you my thoughts. I just keep telling myself that it will happen eventually. If you open your heart to love, there will be someone out there for you. It sounds cheesy, but I believe it.

• 3 weeks later...

Celeb, this sounds very much like me and my sister. She's 4 years younger and has had WAY more experience than me in the relationship department. She's been with her current guy for 3 years now and it's very hard for me to watch them knowing I haven't ever had a real boyfriend.

I've struggled with anxiety since I was 5, and I was on Paxil for 9 years before I eventually switched to something else because the Paxil stopped working. I've had 7 different therapists over the years, and just recently I found a new one who, for the first time, I feel is really truly helping me.

So, all I can say is don't give up. Keep working on YOU and the rest will follow. A relationship won't solve your OCD/Anxiety, and a healthy, good relationship will only happen when you can really get a handle on your mental health and happiness. Hang in there and know that there are lots of people in the world struggling with the same things...even the ones you think seem perfectly happy and put-together :) <3

I'm on the opposite end, but hopefully I can still offer a little advice. I've been in a relationship for almost a year now but my sister hasn't, and I think sometimes she wishes she was, too. I think it was hard for her at first because we're twins and very close, but she's gotten more and more used to it. We're still good friends and respectful of each other, even though there's another very important person in my life.

However, being in a relationship also teaches you the importance of independence in certain ways. A relationship isn't always an easy thing to maintain, and once you start going out with someone you've only ever treated as a friend or acquaintance, that relationship with them changes quite a bit. It's important to prepare yourself and be ready for whatever comes with the person you feel is right. Also, I didn't enter a relationship until I was 18 years old and I worried I would never find the right person, but I did. There are so many people on this planet; even if it's hard sometimes to deal with being single, just keep your chin up and stay confident in yourself! smile.png

Archived