Sneeze Fetish Forum

Connection problems

Joal 555

Not sure wheher anything can be done but I just wanted to mention that a few people (me included) have been having intermittent problems including:-

1. Logging on to the forum

2. Opening a second tab while in the chatroom

3. Entering the chatroom

4. Being "kicked out" of the chatroom

How many other people are experiencing these problems? And are any of the staff aware of any possible solutions?

Thank you

The problem I've been having is that the forum doesn't load at times, which also messes up chat if I'm already in there at the time.

At the current time the staff does not have a solution for this, although the forum software is best compatible with Internet Explorer.

Well, maybe that's why I'm having issues-- I use Firefox. However, my problems are really just recent. I can't remember ever having trouble getting into the forum before....

Well, maybe that's why I'm having issues-- I use Firefox. However, my problems are really just recent. I can't remember ever having trouble getting into the forum before....

I used to use Firefox myself and the forum gave me so much trouble (chat lagged, loading times were very long) that I've started using Chrome. It's still not as compatible as IE, but it appears to work a lot better at least for me.

I was having issues with the chatroom lagging and slower load times when I was using firefox. I switched to Safari and so far I haven't had that problem reoccur.

I frequently have issues where the forum won't load. It generally resolves itself within an hour or so, but then sometimes happens several times in one day. When it does that I find using other browsers doesn't help. It also does that on my phone at those times (so, different connection). It's only started within a couple of months, possible around the time the upgrade happened, I don't remember xP

Well i can't say anything about frequently since i'm not back that long tonguesmiley.gif. But i've already had the "unable to reach site" problem 3 times. For some reason getting a new IP seems to resolve this a lot faster. Maybe it is some kind of IP based spam protection of the forum software or something like that?

edit:

Yup changing my IP seems to allow me to reconnect immediately. Dunno if knowing that helps narrowing down what causes it, but i thought i would point it out tonguesmiley.gif.

edit2:

Upon further "research" the forum seems to crash for me if i

1. Try to open a tab in a browser other than IE while in the chat in the same browser. Using different browser and opening the chat in one and tabs in the other seems to work fine.

2. Try to leave the chat with the leave button in any browser. Just closing the chat Tab/Window seems to work fine.

Once it crashes i can't reconnect until i either reset my IP or wait somewhat longer than 30 minutes.

the forum software is best compatible with Internet Explorer.

How unfortunate sadsmiley.gif

The error I always get is that the server where this web page is located could not be reached. It's very frustrating when it pops up just after I've hit the button to submit a post. In fact, that seems to be when it's most likely to happen to me. I switch back and forth between Safari and Chrome, although it seems to happen equally with both browsers. Next time I'll try Mirf's suggestion of getting a new IP.

The error I always get is that the server where this web page is located could not be reached. It's very frustrating when it pops up just after I've hit the button to submit a post. In fact, that seems to be when it's most likely to happen to me. I switch back and forth between Safari and Chrome, although it seems to happen equally with both browsers. Next time I'll try Mirf's suggestion of getting a new IP.

That's the same error i meant with the "unable to reach site" thing. Do you remember if you used the quick reply or the full reply thing when it happened?

Also if you change your IP fast enough you don't lose your post *inset cooler ninja smiley than ninja.gif*

I pretty much always use full reply because I'm trapped by limitations of my own feeble mind, and I can't proofread effectively unless I see it as a post. So I have no idea if it happens with quick reply! And I doubt my ninja skills compare to yours.

Thanks for doing that research Mirf, that might at least help the hosts narrow down what's causing the problem.

Are these errors everyone is getting coming from your browser or are they from the forum (as in it loads a forum page with a pink box and error message)? It sounds to me like they are coming straight from the browser and that suggests some problem with the server. The hosts did apprently note up to a new server a few days ago and from the sounds of it they didn't do it very well! *sigh*

I'm not aware of any anti-spam protection, but that doesn't mean it's not a possible solution. :)

Anyway, if everyone could please post the exact errors they are getting (on a screenshot would be wonderful if you can) I'll put together a message for our host and see what they say.

Yes they're browser errors. Same error you get if a server is actually offline or you have no connection to the internet. I can post screen shots but i don't really think they'll help much since it's no specific code or anything. Aahh why not.

Err.. now i can't reproduce it. No multiple tabs or anything crash the forum for me and even the leave button in the chat room which worked a 100% in every browser earlier seems to kick me out anymore. That's so weird.

I still think it's some kind of protection protocol or maybe some kind of DNS problem but i've no idea how it is triggered.

edit:

Nevermind .. "worked" while replying for me too tonguesmiley.gif

Collage time

collagep.png

I so hope this get's resized tonguesmiley.gif

edit2:

Yup ... they do. Also sorry for the German text :bleh:

I was getting the pink box/error message from the forum when I couldn't get into chat. The only time I've seen the browser errors is when I'm having trouble getting onto the actual forum.

I'm not sure if this is fully related (and sorry to muddy the waters if not) but I've had the forum crash a few times now in the past couple of days while replying to posts. I use Internet Explorer, and all the replies have been with the "quick reply" option, and essentially rather than the post going through once I ok it, I just get an indefinitely "saving post" and nothing actually happens. Every time after having this happen the forum won't load at all for about 30 minutes.

I'm not sure whether or not this is coincidental, but the 5 or so times I've had this problem occur I had the smilie quick tab open while submitting the post, and every post that's been successfully submitted I'd never opened the tab at all. Again, I'm not sure if it's just coincidence, but so far I'm 0/5 with the smilie tab opened, so maybe there's something there.

I get the indefinite "saving post" if I try to edit the same post more than once without going out of the topic and then back in. I haven't had any problems loading afterwards though.

I get the indefinite "saving post" if I try to edit the same post more than once without going out of the topic and then back in. I haven't had any problems loading afterwards though.

That just happened to me a few minutes ago. I never really noticed until now.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, well I contacted the hosts about all these problems and during their testing they were unable to recreate any of them, which isn't very helpful *sigh* That said I notice no-one has posted in this thread for a week or so, so are people still experiencing these (or other) issues with the software/server or does it seem better now?

It seems to have improved in the last couple of weeks - i have had no trouble logging in or accessing chat lately :)

No problems here anymore either. Are you sure they didn't do something? I bet it's a conspiracy to cover up some really huge mistake bleh.gif.

Or ... not laughing.gif. Seriously PC's and the Internet are weird.

Yup. I can easily stay connected in firefox AND chrome now. Something tells me they flipped a setting switch somewhere and flipped it back with no fanfare. I'm convinced my previous ISP did this on a regular basis, since the connection NEVER came back until i'd been on the phone with them for at least 10 minutes (with them swearing up and down that there was nothing wrong with my line - new ISP, no problems in over a year - after SIX YEARS of constant issues with previous ISP).

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the 'indefinitely saving post' issue a few times now, and it happened again yesterday while I was trying to edit something I posted. It didn't cause the forum to crash though, all I did was come out of the topic and went back in again, to find it had actually saved the changes. Haven't had any problems getting into chat which is great, and have only had the browser error a handful of times, but it usually resolves if you leave it for a while and come back to it a bit later. I use Google Chrome for accessing most of my stuff online now, as I find it better (and faster) than Internet Explorer.

Archived