Sneeze Fetish Forum

Hey, Americans...

Chanel_no5

When the hell are your Republicans done with their primaries this year? That is, when are they supposed to have elected their presidential candidate?

Really, I've been trying to figure that out forever, but it seems that kind of information is hidden for my eyes (or I'm just too dumb to find it because I keep getting distracted by other things when I search for it). Need to know it for research for a story I'm writing, that is supposed to start with this character getting elected to be their candidate. It's easier to write that if I know when the election is supposed to be done and when the candidate can start their own actual presidential campaign.

There. I've probably out-stupided myself by asking this, but yeah, I'd rather make a fool out of myself here than on Facebook..

^_^

If I go into detail this will probably turn into a rant, but I have no idea either. xD I know nothing has happened just yet, but it should be relatively soon.

And honestly, I'm more interested in that random guy who wears a boot on his head who may or may not actually be running for president than anyone in either of the major parties.

Oh, I don't mean to make you ranting.. ;)

Someone said the primaries should be done in august, but it seems no one really knows. :lol:

(pssst; my character is aiming to become president to get her hands on the nuclear codes so she can blow up the world - no really, that is her goal, she's a whack-job).

Hey Chanel. The American political system is bizarre.

The Republican primary schedule is here on Wikipedia. They're done with primaries on July 31 officially, with the convention in Florida the last week of August. Most of the decision-making happens before late June. March 6 is called "Super Tuesday" because that is the day with the most state primaries/caucuses this year.

If you need to know the difference between primaries and caucuses and the differences between bound and unbound delegates, let me know.

Excellent question. It sure feels like it lasts a bazillion years. It's like I've been hearing about Romney and Santorum and Paul since before the dawn of time. @__@

Yes, it is! :lol:

Please, yes, walk me through the system, because the more I try to understand it, the more confused I get. :)

Yes, it is! heh.gif

Please, yes, walk me through the system, because the more I try to understand it, the more confused I get. smile.png

I feel that way too and I live here :laugh:

Chanel, I hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread to ask something additional. I am trying to write some dialogue to be spoken by an American character. He is describing someone who is very drunk. I personally would use the term wasted. It's meant to be a casual conversation but still reasonably polite, so for example I would avoid "shitfaced". What terminology could this character use please?

Chanel, I hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread to ask something additional. I am trying to write some dialogue to be spoken by an American character. He is describing someone who is very drunk. I personally would use the term wasted. It's meant to be a casual conversation but still reasonably polite, so for example I would avoid "shitfaced". What terminology could this character use please?

My friends and I often use the term "wasted" to describe someone who is drunk. "Tanked" is another one I hear a lot of.

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether the same word would be appropriate.

My friends and I often use the term "wasted" to describe someone who is drunk. "Tanked" is another one I hear a lot of.

Those are the ones I hear most frequently as well. Hammered and plastered are pretty common in my area as well. I don't hear sloshed or inebriated very often and blitzed I think I've only heard in reference to being high as opposed to drunk. "Drunk as a skunk" I've heard, but usually only from older people (so it could work or not depending on the character). "Three sheets to the wind" is a fantastic phrase, but it's kind of particular and might not read right across the board, depending on the type of person the character you're writing is.

Oooh I like three sheets to the wind and it's international enough to work. Thanks very much guys. Sorry Chanel, for the threadjack. I'm all done now. I can remove my posts if you would prefer, just give me a shout!

:hug:

Oooh I like three sheets to the wind and it's international enough to work. Thanks very much guys. Sorry Chanel, for the threadjack. I'm all done now. I can remove my posts if you would prefer, just give me a shout!

hug.gif

No, no, don't worry, it's fine as it is. :D (and I found the answers to your question quite useful too.. :P )

• 1 month later...

Wasted, sloshed, three sheets to the wind, inebriated, drunk as a skunk, hammered, bombed, plastered, blitzed, etc

Pickled, tanked, blotto.......

Archived