Sneeze Fetish Forum

I really need some help.

kilala

I need some help big time especially from fellow emetophobes because I am freaking out. One of my co-workers was sick with a sv* on Sunday. I did not see him Sunday because we are closed and Monday he took off work, he only v* on Sunday Monday he just needed to recoup. Tuesday he was back at work and said he was feeling much better. He had a bag of popcorn with him like always and offered me some, and without thinking I took a little, because he keeps it there and we always snack on it. Last night when I got home I thought about the fact that he had been sick and I took food from his, it's been a little over 24 hrs since I ate it & I feel pretty sick but I'm so nervous and scared and can't calm down so I can't tell if it's just nerves. I just really need to know if that could have given me the sv*, Like I said he hadn't v* in two days when I ate some (& I ate it out of the bag, not his hand, but he ate some too) I know he had showered and washed his hands several times since he was sick. He was perfectly fine yesterday & part of my mind is trying to tell me logically that I can't have gotten sick from that but I'm so freaking scared, I really need to know what's going to happen to me. And also for you emets do you have any relaxations techniques you use if this kind of thing happens? thanks so much!

Oh Kilala, I'm sorry you feel this way. I was an extreme emetophobe from being a child to mid-teens, so I can kind of relate. I don't think I am a very good person to give advice...

So I will abstain, as I'm sure others will do better.

However, relaxation techniques I use when frightened (usually by trypophobia) is to think about the last time I was scared, and how nothing harmed me at all- it makes me aware of the irrationality of my fear, more than I am normally aware, which can help me massively. I then think about fun times I've had, fond memories, watch my favourite shows...all that fun stuff. I also recommend talking to or being around others- it can make you feel safer and less alone in your fears.

You can get through this. :hug: I hope the other emets can do a better job. In the mean time, try your absolute best to remain calm.

I'm emetophobic, not as bad as I used to be, but the idea of me vomiting still makes me cringe. A couple months ago I was working next to a guy who seemed to be sick and about halfway through my shift he had to bolt from the computer to go throw up in the bathroom. He came back and I was shaky having to sit next to him, afraid firstly of him getting sick in front of me and secondly him infecting me with a stomach bug. I finally got a chance to move, but I had sat next to him for at least four hours and when I got home I felt really sick. I knew logically it was all in my head and it probably wouldn't happen that fast, but I felt nauseous and was seriously convinced I had a stomach virus. The only thing that helped me was being around someone, because if I had been by myself with those thoughts, I would have panicked. Call someone up if you can't be near someone, but seriously my roomie and I just watched TV and hung out, and I forgot all about feeling sick and realized halfway through a movie that it had all been in my head.

Ughh it sucks being an emit, because something that is nasty to everyone is terrifying to us. I can totally relate. I've gotten better over the years and now am afraid of seeing it and having it happen to me, but I've been able to take care of my roomie a few times when she's had too much to drink. Albeit, I merely brought her a trashcan, talked to her from a different room because I still can't bear to see it, and then rinsed the bin out, but that's huge progress for me. There was a time I wouldn't have been in the apartment much less able to talk her through it. It just takes time, and knowing that as scary as the idea of being sick is, there will be a time soon that this fear will be over whether you are sick or not. I know that's not helpful now, but one day hopefully it will be. :)

My understanding is that the most common cause of infectious gastroenteritis is Norovirus, and I also know that the recommendation is that you should isolate yourself for 48 hours after vomiting, so if it was two days since he had been unwell, then the chances of you catching anything are small. In addition, you ate popcorn. Even if there were germs around, popcorn is dry stuff and a lot less likely to get contaminated than sticky or wet foods.

Best of luck.

Archived