Sneeze Fetish Forum

Account Limited and no connection?

Heavy-Chevy

I don't think it has to do with inactivity, if that helps! I've gotten it a few times while actively browsing the forums.

But indeed, the message of doom is quite annoying bleh.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got it a few minutes ago just trying to load the site at all. Now it's letting me look around and post ... for now.

I also got it today and yesterday, but I just didn't try logging on again each time right after so I'm not sure how long it lasted for.

Hm, it actually hasn't happened to me today yet. Maybe the issue's being resolved?... *hopeful face*

Well, the hosts haven't responded to me yet, so if it is resolved then it's nothing I've done! :laugh:

It does however mean my first theory that there was a period of very heavy usage recently that skewed our 'average active user' count for a couple of days.

*crosses fingers*

I've also seen it happen a few times today and yesterday.

It should be possible to examine the access logs,

to see if one IP address in particular shows signs of extremely high usage

(which could indicated a kind of denial-of-service attack on the forum; or just someone whose computer got infected

with a computer virus) or if our members just are more active on average (it being spring and all ;) ), or if the number of

active members has seriously increased recently.

Another possibility would be that the new forum system causes much more network traffic than the old system leading to faster exhaustion of the quota.

Don't know if it helps at all, but I haven't had it come up again since when I posted previously. But maybe I've just gotten lucky, I haven't been on much the past couple of days so I may have just missed the times when it was happening.

It happened to me last night so I just closed the forum for the day. uwu;

It's happened to me a few times in the last few days. Thanks, HoL, for explaining what's going on and trying to fix it. I thought I was getting temporarily kicked off the forum for using it too much. blush.png

I've had communication from the hosts on this and apparently I was wrong. It's not related to a number of users, but more to bandwidth usage. The most common cause is apparently, as haeeshoo mentioned, a denial of service attack or some over-active 'spiders' (robots which trawl sites for content on behalf of search engines) hogging the server, which has something like an automatic 'fair use policy' and that's the error we're seeing. I've taken a couple of steps which will hopefully slow things down, but if it doesn't get better in a day or so (and it doesn't seem to be so far *sigh*) I'll get back in touch with them.

Once again, apologies to anyone this is affecting and thank you for your patience while we try to resolve it.

I discovered something interesting. It seems that even when the error message comes up when you try to get to the forum directly by typing in the url it seems you can still get on without any trouble if you get here through a link. I couldn't get on yesterday and so I was using google to try to get my fetish fix and when the story board on the forum came up as one of the results I figured "what the hell" and clicked on it to see if going to something other than the main page would work, which it did, and from the story page I was then able to get to the rest of the forum without any problem even though when I'd try to get there by typing the url seconds before I'd gotten the error message.

I don't know if that's even remotely useful information for you HoL, but I figured it's at least useful for others trying to get on the forum. Assuming it wasn't just a freak occurrence and it will work reliably.

Sweet! *copies link to story board* X)

It hasn't been happening as often to me though, like once a day rather than ten times...... -_-

Okay, the hosts have come back to me again. It seems that we're triggering a limit on what's called 'the number of executions per hour'. They think it is probably being triggered by one of the little modifcations (called 'hooks') I've installed using much more of the server's capacity than it should. Therefore I'm going to turn all the ones I most recently installed off, and then slowly turn them on again, one by one and see if I can work out which one is causing the problem.

Thanks as ever for all the work you do to keep things working around here HoL! We'd be lost without you! Lost and very grumpy :lol:

Archived