Sneeze Fetish Forum

Old movies with colds

Hedgehog

I'm not sure if somebody already posted something like that. (unfortunately I'm not allowed to use the search function yet sadsmiley.gif ) So, please excuse me if there is already a thread about this...

I remember a few movies I've always liked and I always see them when they happen to be on tv. Here are two wonderful examples:

1. The Apartment (1960)

with a wonderful cold-stricken Jack Lemmon.

Here is

, but there is much more in the movie. smile.png

2. Barefoot in the Park (1967)

In this one Robert Redford is the poor man with the cold. He is more or less sick over the whole movie. biggrin.png Here is

(sorry about the quality, I couldn't find a better one).

Do you know other movies with similar scenes?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wig_Powder

• Bluebird

• James

• Hedgehog

Oh-ho-ho, you've just started a topic that is very relevant to my interests. I love old movies and I'm always excited when an unexpected sneeze shows up. So I'll do my best to add to the lists as I come across them.

Some that come to the top of my head. Sorry, some of them are allergies, not colds, but you might like them anyway.

The Barkleys of Broadway: Fred Astaire is left out in the cold and the snow for a long time, waiting for his wife to come join him. When he finally comes back in, he's cold and sneezy, complaining that he's going to catch a cold. He doesn't (he's just trying to make his wife feel bad, since she was flirting with another man), but it's still fun to imagine for us fetishists.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse: the female love interest sneezes after getting caught in a flooded room. Just the one, and you'll need to watch the original silent Dr. Mabuse to understand the sequel (it's brilliant but a bit heavy), but it's a nice bonus.

Rhubarb: There's an entire subplot about a girl who appears to be allergic to a cat, including the wonderful line "You're sneezing under oath!"

Pride and Prejudice (the Olivier version): Jane sneezes when she falls ill in the Bingley house.

That's all I've got for now, but I'm sure I'll discover more as I go along. Thanks for starting this thread!

In It's a Wonderful Life, the main character George Bailey sneezes (I think into a handkerchief) after walking home in the cold. :) It's in the first half of the movie sometime after things begin going downhill, but before the central conflict begins.

Great topic!

It's hard sometimes to remember the titles of old movies with male sneezing in them. So many old movies contain a sneeze or two that it's hard to sort them out. I'd never heard of the one mentioned with Fred Astaire sneezing. Several do come to mind however.

1. "That Darn Cat" A Disney movie with Haley Mills and Dean Jones. Dean plays an FBI agent who is super allergic to cats. Several good sneezing scenes throughout the movie. Even a "trying not to sneeze while hiding" scene.

2."The Lost World". The fifties or early sixties version directed by Irwin Allen. Very early in the movie the young reporter has an amusing sneezing scene after having got soaked in the rain.

3. "In Search of the Castaways" Another Disney movie, strangely enough also starring Haley Mills. This one has an amusing scene with an older British gentleman played by Sir Alfred White? in which his sneezing presents itself in what seems like a dangerous situation with a jaguar.

4."Charade". Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant star in this espionage movie. Grant is not the sneezer. I can't remember the circumstances of the sneezes or the actor, but the sneezes are strong and memorable.

5. "Taking of Pelham 1,2,3." The older version starring Walter Matthau. One of the criminals has a bad cold and sneezes several times in the course of the movie, including a climactic sneeze at the end. I think the actor's last name is Shaw.

6."Waking Ned Divine". I think this was in the 80's or early 90's. The lottery investigator has hay fever and his sneezing has a major role in the plot.

7. " Hawaii" Starring Max Von Sydow and Julie Andrews. Movie of the James Michener book. Van Sydow has a sneezing scene from sickness early in the movie when meeting Julie Andrews character for the first time.

1. "That Darn Cat" A Disney movie with Haley Mills and Dean Jones. Dean plays an FBI agent who is super allergic to cats. Several good sneezing scenes throughout the movie. Even a "trying not to sneeze while hiding" scene.

"That Darn Cat" is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7rGqdwFKOg !!

The first sneeze is around 36:27, after he mentions his allergy to his boss (its super cute). The rest are scattered throughout but very well-done

Wow! Thank you all. There are a lot of movies in your lists I haven't known yet. :)

There are also a plenty of cold sneezes in the 1955 movie version of famous Broadway piece "Guys and Dolls".

^ I unfortunately got caught watching the end of that one (with my grandfather of all people) a few years ago. Still a great musical, though, but I always say that x3

Anyway, thank you so much for this list! There are quite a few movies out there that I should check out, then! :)

The actor playing "milord" in In Search of the Castaways is Hyde White, also known as Wilfred Hyde White. Of course , the lovely Hayley Mills is queen of the sneezepic, sneezing herself in Endless Night, etc.

One outstanding film that never seems to get mentioned is Hellzapoppin. There is a prolonged and excellent sneezing powder sequence with Martha Raye and less satisfyingly Mischa Auer. Plus an unknown bit part actor who has two quite extraordinary buildups and violent sneezes.........

Edited by count de tisza

Ohhh, I like these movies so much <3

Especially "That Darn Cat" is sooo cute =D

By the way, I've found a page where you are able to watch "The Apartment" online.

It's here ---> =D

I'll try and find links to the other movies...Thank you so much for posting these here, I absolutely love old movies,

and old movies + sneezes = simply amazing!!!

Oh, thank you so much, Linda! All the wonderful scenes are between 16:30 and 36:50. :)

• 1 month later...

There is another movie worth to be mentioned. Although it is not that old. (It's from 1992)

I mean this one: Schtonk

This is a satire about something that really had happened in Germany in the 80's: A magazine had published the "diaries of Hitler" and a bit later it became clear: It was all a fake.

So in this movie the falsifier gets ill with a bad case of a cold and writes a diary entry of "Hitler" just getting a bad cold. This scene has everything you could wish: Sneezes, tissues, some mess, fever (he even tells the temperature!); and not only one, but two beautiful women who take care of him. :D It starts after about one hour and 5 minutes. Have fun! :)

Some of my favorite sneezes are from Harpo Marx in the Marx Bros. movie, "At the Circus." He sneezes when he and his brothers go into a short guy's train car and it ends up knocking over all the furniture in the room. Groucho remarks, "I stand in the rain, and HE sneezes."

• 1 month later...

I'm not quite sure if my memory serves right,

but there's a German production of "Edgar Wallace" from 1964

"Der Hexer" (The Mysterious Magician) and there's a butler who sneezes in the beginning of the movie.

I thought it was really cute and was surprised because it had no relevance for the plot *shrugs*

It's been at least 6 years that I've seen it, so I'm not too sure about the details.

At 0:39 you can see the guy on the left, it's him.

Sadly I can't find the movie online :(

Edited by LovelyLinda

There's an old movie called 'Imitation of Life' where a girl is trying to get work as a photographer's model and has to hold some flea powder that she's allergic to. She has to remain still trying not to sneeze while the photo's taken, but sneezes anyway. I can't remember the actress, but there is a couple of well acted sneezes.

I recently saw a movie called Without Love, starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, where I can't help but wonder if the screenplay writer was a fetishist. Hepburn sneezes for no apparent reason at one point (mainly in service of a "can't wipe her nose" gag), there's a small bit with a flower girl who has hayfever, and the supporting character played by Lucille Ball almost sneezes because of dust (at least, her face looks like she's about to sneeze.) None of these are plot points, but it shows up so much that it seems like more than a coincidence.

Ooh, there's a mental image....:evil:

Does Veronica Lake sneeze in Sullivan's Travels?

I watched most of it one weekend on TV purely by chance and VL did not sneeze, only the male lead.

What is the name of that early talkie where the very Jean Harlow-like platinum blonde heroine has multiple sneezes inter alia supporting herself against a column at a party ? Indeed, who was she?

PS Hellzapoppin is on YT and the sneezing scene is the first part of Part 5/6

Edited by count de tisza

Possibly the movie is The Richest Girl in the World (1934) with Miriam Hopkins as the sneezing platinum blonde. The remake 1944, Bride By Mistake (1944) had Laraine Day doing the sneezing (I think that both movies have additional characters sneezing in them as well - from colds).

• 2 weeks later...

As a keen film buff as well as a sneeze fetishist I've made my own list of movies which involve female sneezing. You asked for old movies so here's my list for the thirties, forties and fifties, including the name of the actress who sneezes (where known). the only ones I've omitted are those where the actress was (or might have been) under 18 at the date of the film.

1934- The Richest Girl in the World (Miriam Hopkins)

1935- The 39 Steps (Madeleine Carroll)

1936- The Bride Walks Out (Barbara Stanwyck)

1937- Marked Woman (Jane Bryan)

1940- Cover Girl (unknown)

Pride and Prejudice (Maureen O’Sullivan)

1943- Heaven Can Wait (Gene Tierney)

A Lady Takes a Chance (Jean Arthur)

1947- My Favourite Brunette (Dorothy Lamour)

1949- On the Town (Alice Pearce)

The Perfect Woman (Patricia Roc)

1950- Father of the Bride (unknown)

1955- Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (Jane Russell)

Guys and Dolls (Vivien Blaine)

Rebel without a Cause (unknown)

1956- The Swan (Grace Kelly)

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (Joyce Taylor)

1958- Gigi (unknown)

1959- I’m All Right, Jack (unknown)

Imitation of Life (Lana Turner)

The Nun’s Story (Patricia Bosworth)

I hope to be able to post later years soon.

Here's my list for the sixties, seventies and eighties:

1960- The Millionairess (Sophia Loren)

The Sundowners (Deborah Kerr)

1961- Blue Hawaii (Jenny Maxwell)

A Taste of Honey (Dora Bryan, Rita Tushingham)

1963- The Haunting (Julie Harris)

My Fair Lady (Audrey Hepburn)

1964- A Shot in the Dark (Elke Sommer)

The Tomb of Ligeia (Penelope Lee)

1965- Dr Zhivago (Adrienne Corri)

1966- Cul de Sac (Francoise Dorleac)

The Trouble with Angels (Hayley Mills)

1967- Fathom (Raquel Welch)

1969- The Sterile Cuckoo (Liza Minnelli)

Viva Max! (Pamela Tiffin)

1970- The Out-of-Towners (Sandy Dennis)

1973- Carry On Girls (Barbara Windsor, Margaret Nolan, Valerie Leon, unknown girl)

Don’t Just Lie There, Say Something (Joanna Lumley)

1979- An Almost Perfect Affair (Monica Vitti)

1980- Bad Timing (Theresa Russell)

The Mirror Cracked (Geraldine Chaplin)

1983- Terms of Endearment (Debra Winger)

Silkwood (Meryl Streep)

Top Secret (Lucy Gutteridge)

1986- Jumping Jack Flash (Whoopi Goldberg)

1987- Roxanne (Shelley Duvall)

Suspect (Cher)

1988- Betrayed (Debra Winger)

1989- My Stepmother is an Alien (Kim Basinger)

Das Schreckliche Maedchen (Lena Stolze)

Sweetie (Karen Colston)

Plus one I omitted from my last list:

1950- Stage Fright (Jane Wyman)