Sneeze Fetish Forum

Old movies with colds

Hedgehog

No colds (or links) I'm afraid but I know roughly when the sneezes are so...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: 1968

Dick van Dyke sneezes twice in this movie. The first is from pepper during the song "You Two" (it's on YouTube but there are children in the scene and I don't want a warning). The second time is literally right after "Doll on a music box/Truly Scrumptious" but I couldn't find that at all.

(Minimal spoilers below)

Hook: 1991

If you live in the UK you'll know that this movie is played continuously. Robyn Williams also sneezes twice: both times from fairy dust. The first one is at the beginning when Tinkerbell comes to get Peter and she's in the doll's house or something. The second time is after Tinkerbell confesses her love for him when she's human sized which is right before he goes to save his kids.

Sorry if these have been mentioned before/my descriptions were unhelpful.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wig_Powder

• Bluebird

• James

• Hedgehog

@G123 How could I have forgotten about the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sneezes! Literally used to watch that movie all the time.

(This does contain a few spoilers, though not a whole big ton)

The song she posted about is correct- "Doll on a Music Box"/"Truly Scrumptious." While Truly and Caractacus are entertaining Baron Bomburst, Truly is dressed as a ballerina doll on a music box and Caractacus is disguised as a Jack-in-the-Box. At one point Caractacus is out of the box and running around Truly, trying to get a good look at her. The Baron gets up from his throne and Caractacus freezes in his place, allowing the Baron to inspect him up close. He squeezes Caractacus's red rubber nose and, well...you know :P Dick van Dyke does really great fakes, too.

Thanks for mentioning the Hook ones, too! I knew of the first one because it was in the book (my friend did that part for a Forensics competition about two years ago), but I didn't know of the second one. :D

Here's my list from 1990 onwards.

1980- Bad Timing (Theresa Russell)

The Mirror Cracked (Geraldine Chaplin)

1983- Terms of Endearment (Debra Winger)

Silkwood (Meryl Streep)

Top Secret (Lucy Gutteridge)

1986- Jumping Jack Flash (Whoopi Goldberg)

1987- Roxanne (Shelley Duvall)

Suspect (Cher)

1988- Betrayed (Debra Winger)

1989- My Stepmother is an Alien (Kim Basinger)

Das Schreckliche Maedchen (Lena Stolze)

Sweetie (Karen Colston)

1990- Ju Dou (Gong Li)

1991- Drop Dead Fred (Phoebe Cates)

1992- Captain Ron (Katherine Franco)

Housesitter (Goldie Hawn)

Howard’s End (Emma Thompson)

1993- A Dangerous Woman (Debra Winger)

In the Name of the Father (Emma Thompson)

The Man without a Face (Faye Masterton)

Mr Wonderful (Annabella Sciorra)

Serial Mom (Kathleen Turner)

1994- Best Defense (Kate Capshaw)

IQ (Meg Ryan)

I Love Trouble (Julia Roberts, Rebecca Cross)

The Paper (Marissa Tomei)

1995- Clueless (Stacy Dash)

Forget Paris (Debra Winger)

Home for the Holidays (Holly Hunter)

Uncovered (Kate Backinsale)

1997- The Christmas List (unknown; either Pamela Saidock or Jacqueline Kinski)

1998- Erin Brockovich (Julia Roberts)

The Faculty (Salma Hayek)

Prince Valiant (Katherine Heigl)

Simon Birch (Holly Dennison)

You’ve Got Mail (Meg Ryan)

1999- 200 Cigarettes (Kate Hudson)

2002- Bend it Like Beckham (Parminder Nagra)

Scooby Doo (Isla Fisher)

2004- Bride & Prejudice (Aishwarya Rai)

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Alison Pill)

Ocean’s Twelve (Julia Roberts)

2006- My Super Ex-Girlfriend (Anna Faris)

2008- Doubt (Amy Adams)

Easy Virtue (Jessica Biel)

Mamma Mia (Meryl Streep)

2009- Did You Hear About the Morgans? (Sarah Jessica Parker)

That's amazing, James! Which ones are fits? (I know Audrey Hepburn in MFL is just a single, for instance).

It's been some time since I last watched a lot of these films, but here's my first list with annotations:-

1934- The Richest Girl in the World (Miriam Hopkins)- Several, from a cold

1935- The 39 Steps (Madeleine Carroll)- Single

1936- The Bride Walks Out (Barbara Stanwyck)- ???

1937- Marked Woman (Jane Bryan)- single

1940- Cover Girl (unknown)- ???

Pride and Prejudice (Maureen O’Sullivan)- single, from a cold

1943- Heaven Can Wait (Gene Tierney)- two singles (but very realistic)

A Lady Takes a Chance (Jean Arthur)- two (?), obviously fake

1947- My Favourite Brunette (Dorothy Lamour)- ???

1949- On the Town (Alice Pearce)- several, from a cold

The Perfect Woman (Patricia Roc)- single

1950- Father of the Bride (unknown)- fit, possibly from a cold

1955- Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (Jane Russell)- single

Guys and Dolls (Vivien Blaine)- lengthy fit, from a cold

Rebel without a Cause (unknown)- single

1956- The Swan (Grace Kelly)- single, not very convincing

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (Joyce Taylor)- ???

1958- Gigi (unknown)- fit, from hay fever

1959- I’m All Right, Jack (unknown)- single

Imitation of Life (Lana Turner)- two, from allergy to flea powder

The Nun’s Story (Patricia Bosworth)

I'm in a film course and school and have to work on a few classics, so the other day I watched this Italian neo-realism movie called "Rome, Open City". At some point towards the end, one of the main characters falls ill, and another girl feels his forehead (I loved that part!), then exclaims that he has a fever and has probably caught the flu that's been going around. Unfortunately, I was watching with my mom. Yep. Some uncomfortable moments.

The sneezer in Gigi is the lovely Eva Gabor, sister of Zsa Zsa. [Anyone remember Petticoat Junction?].

If we're coming to more modern films, I have just discovered that in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" [1988] there are two very nice cold sneezes from Juliette Binoche. Really a gem.

And of course the great Hayley Mills sneezes from hay fever in Endless Night. Like The Mirror Crack'd, it's one of those Agatha Christie death sneezes. Are there any more in the books?

@G123 How could I have forgotten about the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sneezes! Literally used to watch that movie all the time.

(This does contain a few spoilers, though not a whole big ton)

The song she posted about is correct- "Doll on a Music Box"/"Truly Scrumptious." While Truly and Caractacus are entertaining Baron Bomburst, Truly is dressed as a ballerina doll on a music box and Caractacus is disguised as a Jack-in-the-Box. At one point Caractacus is out of the box and running around Truly, trying to get a good look at her. The Baron gets up from his throne and Caractacus freezes in his place, allowing the Baron to inspect him up close. He squeezes Caractacus's red rubber nose and, well...you know tonguesmiley.gif Dick van Dyke does really great fakes, too.

Thanks for mentioning the Hook ones, too! I knew of the first one because it was in the book (my friend did that part for a Forensics competition about two years ago), but I didn't know of the second one. biggrin.png

Me too! It's one of my favourite musicals! I watched it a few weeks ago and was meant to post but I guess this topic fits anyway. Haha, you explained it better than me but I agree that his fakes are pretty ace. Now I know why I used to adore that scene so much...

You're welcome for Hook. Also, I didn't know it was a book; I'll have to check it out at some point (I'm a sucker for anything Peter Pan-esque).

Thanks for the awesome lists too, James. I'll definitely be busy over the next few months...

Here's my second list with annotations:-

1960- Carry on Constable (Jill Adams)- two, flu

The Millionairess (Sophia Loren)- several

The Sundowners (Deborah Kerr)- single, from dust

1961- Blue Hawaii (Jenny Maxwell)- single

A Taste of Honey (Dora Bryan, Rita Tushingham)- both from colds, several from Dora, single from Rita

1963- The Haunting (Julie Harris)- single, cold

My Fair Lady (Audrey Hepburn)- single

1964- A Shot in the Dark (Elke Sommer)- single

The Tomb of Ligeia (Penelope Lee)- single

1965- Dr Zhivago (Adrienne Corri)- single, cold

1966- Cul de Sac (Francoise Dorleac)- single, possibly real

The Trouble with Angels (Hayley Mills)- single, faked

1967- Fathom (Raquel Welch)- single, faked

1969- The Sterile Cuckoo (Liza Minnelli)- single

Viva Max! (Pamela Tiffin)- several, hay fever

1970- The Out-of-Towners (Sandy Dennis)- single

1973- Carry On Girls (Barbara Windsor, Margaret Nolan, Valerie Leon, unknown girl)- fits, from sneezing powder

Don’t Just Lie There, Say Something (Joanna Lumley)- two

1979- An Almost Perfect Affair (Monica Vitti)- from hay fever

1980- Bad Timing (Theresa Russell)- single

The Mirror Cracked (Geraldine Chaplin)- fit, from hay fever

1983- Terms of Endearment (Debra Winger)- several, from cold

Silkwood (Meryl Streep)- single

Top Secret (Lucy Gutteridge)- single

1986- Jumping Jack Flash (Whoopi Goldberg)- single, from cold

1987- Roxanne (Shelley Duvall)- single, possibly real

Suspect (Cher)- single, stifled

1988- Betrayed (Debra Winger)- single, possibly real

1989- My Stepmother is an Alien (Kim Basinger)- two, from flour

Das Schreckliche Maedchen (Lena Stolze)- single

Sweetie (Karen Colston)- single

Plus one I omitted from my last list:

1950- Stage Fright (Jane Wyman)- single, faked

• 3 months later...

One that I know of from Rex Harrison is Unfaithfully Yours (1948). He sneezes multiple times from an allergy to flowers near the end of the film. And of course The Lonely Guy staring Steve Martin. I think this film is on Amazon Instant. He sneezes multiple times in the film but if you have never seen I won't say why he sneezes because it gives away too much of the plot! :)

• 1 month later...

1940- Cover Girl (unknown)- ???

I think it's two sneezes, due to pollen allergies (there's a ton of flowers in the scene)

New material (so to speak):

In the film Pat and Mike, Spencer Tracy's character sneezes several times. I think he's supposed to be allergic to the cologne his rival wears, but it's never really explained.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread because not only have I found a few more, I've been using this thread to find movies to watch, so I might as well give back. Besides, maybe other people will chime in with more.

*Woman on the Run--When the main characters go to a secondhand clothing shop, the shopkeeper sneezes repeatedly during the scene, and asks the heroes to close the door on the way out to keep out the draft. It adds absolutely nothing to the plot, but it's a nice bit.

*Nurse Edith Cavell--There's a sneezing while hiding scene when some injured soldiers behind enemy lines are hiding from an inspection. There's only one sneeze, but it does add to the tension fairly well.

Michael Crawford sneezes twice while hiding in the movie of Hello, Dolly!  And I'm guessing Anthony Perkins does the same in the movie of The Matchmaker, on which Hello, Dolly! is based.

On 3/5/2017 at 4:58 PM, Luisa39 said:

Michael Crawford sneezes twice while hiding in the movie of Hello, Dolly!  And I'm guessing Anthony Perkins does the same in the movie of The Matchmaker, on which Hello, Dolly! is based.

I think it's even better than that; from what I remember, both of the shop clerks (Which I guess is Michael Crawford and Danny Lockin, according to IMDB) wind up sneezing in that scene, one due to dust, the other to a feather. I seem to recall being pleasantly surprised by that.

I've mentioned this movie a couple times, and it's definitely one of my favorites. It's not too old of a movie, as it's from 1990, though it is a nice movie starring Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson, and Alan plays a ghost cellist who has a cold. The sneezes are amazingly realistic and wonderful. The movie is Truly, Madly, Deeply, and you can watch it here. The sneezes are three from 59:19—59:35, one at 1:03:01, three at 1:23:36, and one at 1:24:12 followed by blowing his nose.

Edited by I love Alan Rickman
  • 2 weeks later...

As soon as I have the proper information to elaborate on this, I will provide it -- but there is a sneeze from the lead female character in 1932's Arsene Lupin.

I had literally JUST switched the channel to TCM, and the moment happened so very quickly... :lol:

-edit- So unfortunately I can't find this movie around online at all without having to spend money in some form, but the sneeze was from actress Karen Morley. I don't think there was any underlying cause, though I'm not entirely certain if this is correct. They seemed to be outside/in the rain (I THINK one of them was holding an umbrella?), so that could have something to do with it. I do know that after she sneezes, the man she's with blesses her as she runs off, and then it transitions to the next scene.

Edited by Paws
providing what little supplementary info I can dig up
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where Deborah Kerr sneezes in The Sundowners?

Also, I remember a mention of Claudia Cardinale sneezing in a movie,  Does anyone know which and what the circumstances were?

It's been years since I've seen it, but I know that in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty from the 1950's, Virginia Mayo sneezes once after having stood outside in the rain.  If I remember correctly, she's blessed by Danny Kaye, who remarks that she "must be catching cold."

• 2 weeks later...

Whereabouts in The Perfect Woman does Patricia Roc sneeze?

Since this thread has dropped off the first page I'm also repeating my inquiries as to Deborah Kerr in The Sundowners and Claudia Cardinale.  

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 11:03 PM, Paws said:

As soon as I have the proper information to elaborate on this, I will provide it -- but there is a sneeze from the lead female character in 1932's Arsene Lupin.

I had literally JUST switched the channel to TCM, and the moment happened so very quickly... :lol:

-edit- So unfortunately I can't find this movie around online at all without having to spend money in some form, but the sneeze was from actress Karen Morley. I don't think there was any underlying cause, though I'm not entirely certain if this is correct. They seemed to be outside/in the rain (I THINK one of them was holding an umbrella?), so that could have something to do with it. I do know that after she sneezes, the man she's with blesses her as she runs off, and then it transitions to the next scene.

With the aid of YouTube and pure, dumb luck on my end, I finally have an update on this. :yay: Not that it's really important or anything, but it is self-satisfying that I know now, nonetheless.

A total of 3 sneezes from the female protagonist, though the cause is still indiscernible. And I was indeed wrong about the umbrella thing, whoops.

• 4 weeks later...

Just like in the book, At the end of the original 'The Invisible Man' movie, Jack Griffin (the titular invisible man) sneezes from either being cold (he kinda runs around with no clothes on a lot during winter, there's some mental images for you) or from hay tickling his nose as he hides out in a barn. He also complains of being chilly throughout the movie and I believe at one point says my two favorite words 'catching cold'. Also his sneeze is adorable and it's probably one of my favorites ever but I'm unsure where to find a clip of it. There is also a black and white tv show based off the invisible man, but I've never seen it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the sneezes from Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment are real.  I've seen Betrayed and that one is definitely real.  Now I have a burning desire to watch every movies she's ever been in to see if she sneezes!  I love her build-ups and pre-sneeze face!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very helpful, informative list. :) It's made me want to have a movie night just to watch some classic films. Thank you so much!

• 8 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 8:52 PM, ringsfan02 said:

It's hard sometimes to remember the titles of old movies with male sneezing in them. So many old movies contain a sneeze or two that it's hard to sort them out. I'd never heard of the one mentioned with Fred Astaire sneezing. Several do come to mind however.

1. "That Darn Cat" A Disney movie with Haley Mills and Dean Jones. Dean plays an FBI agent who is super allergic to cats. Several good sneezing scenes throughout the movie. Even a "trying not to sneeze while hiding" scene.

2."The Lost World". The fifties or early sixties version directed by Irwin Allen. Very early in the movie the young reporter has an amusing sneezing scene after having got soaked in the rain.

3. "In Search of the Castaways" Another Disney movie, strangely enough also starring Haley Mills. This one has an amusing scene with an older British gentleman played by Sir Alfred White? in which his sneezing presents itself in what seems like a dangerous situation with a jaguar.

4."Charade". Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant star in this espionage movie. Grant is not the sneezer. I can't remember the circumstances of the sneezes or the actor, but the sneezes are strong and memorable.

5. "Taking of Pelham 1,2,3." The older version starring Walter Matthau. One of the criminals has a bad cold and sneezes several times in the course of the movie, including a climactic sneeze at the end. I think the actor's last name is Shaw.

6."Waking Ned Divine". I think this was in the 80's or early 90's. The lottery investigator has hay fever and his sneezing has a major role in the plot.

7. " Hawaii" Starring Max Von Sydow and Julie Andrews. Movie of the James Michener book. Van Sydow has a sneezing scene from sickness early in the movie when meeting Julie Andrews character for the first time.

Robert Shaw was in The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3, yet I'm almost certain the actor who sneezes in the movie is Martin Balsam.

Edited by Luisa39