Sneeze Fetish Forum

any ways to make my throat hurt less?

addict.bandband

Okay. So lately I have been screaming. YouTube tutorials on how to. I'm a metal head kinda and I thought it would be cool to learn how to scream. I started a couple days ago. I have made some progress on screaming, but it has hurt my throat really bad. Some youtube tutorials say it is normal for beginners throats to hurt, but if it is normal, can you guys put up suggestions on how to soothe my throat?

Thank you, if you even bother to read this or reply.

And also tips for warm up during screaming would be nice, because maybe I am tearing my throat too much.

Much love<3

-Carly

Edited by Joal 555
as requested

If it hurts your throat you are NOT doing it right. It maybe will produce the right sound, but you will seriously injure yourself if you carry on with it. There is a VERY specific way to do screaming so that it won't eff you up realllly bad. Please stop until you find someone to teach you the right way to do it. You do not want to end up needing to have surgery, like even some professionals who have screamed the wrong way have needed. PLEASE be careful.

Meanwhile for the sore throat you have now, eat some jam on a spoon. the pectin in it is a natural throat soothe.

Yes, it's not supposed to hurt if you do it properly. My boss was a vocalist in a black metal band back in the day and he's told me that before.

One of my favorite bands, Katatonia, had to change their sound because the singer blew out his throat after years of screaming improperly. Now he only sings straight.

take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. it tastes foul, but it'll help in no time uvu

Will try <3

If it hurts your throat you are NOT doing it right. It maybe will produce the right sound, but you will seriously injure yourself if you carry on with it. There is a VERY specific way to do screaming so that it won't eff you up realllly bad. Please stop until you find someone to teach you the right way to do it. You do not want to end up needing to have surgery, like even some professionals who have screamed the wrong way have needed. PLEASE be careful.

Meanwhile for the sore throat you have now, eat some jam on a spoon. the pectin in it is a natural throat soothe.

I will try to find a professional to help me. Thanks for the help <3

Yes, it's not supposed to hurt if you do it properly. My boss was a vocalist in a black metal band back in the day and he's told me that before.

One of my favorite bands, Katatonia, had to change their sound because the singer blew out his throat after years of screaming improperly. Now he only sings straight.

I will try to be careful and find help. But my voice is currently blown out due to the screaming XD <3

Uhm drinking water not soda/pop when practicing screaming also knowing the right way to scream so you won't permanently damage your throat :) boiled water with honey in it is good for sore throats, it's like a tea. Also taking breaks to drink water and to hydrate yourself properly might help if it hurts :)

What amy and Murphy D. said. Vocal cord polyps (basically scars formed by swollen spots that form on your vocal cords from things like screaming) are no joke and can be really hard to get rid of.

You definitely need to warm up, just like with any other type of singing.

Also, if you are just screaming at the top of your lungs, you might get the sound you want, but you will DESTROY your vocal cords.

It can be helpful to learn some singing techniques first-- breath control and werkin' that diaphragm are super important for most sustained screaming/bone-rattling death growls/etc. You can get used to how those muscles should feel through singing, with a much lower risk for strain/permanent damage. A lot of metal vocalists (and Tibetan throat singers!) also manipulate their false vocal cords in order to avoid completely trashing their "true" ones.

A lot of these things are pretty tricky to explain via text alone. Also, I'm speaking strictly as a grungy hobbyist/sibling of a casual black metal vocalist, and not someone with any sort of professional knowledge on any of this. heh.gif if you can find someone who's been doing this sort of thing for awhile to check out your technique/give you some tips, that'd be much more helpful than watching YouTube tutorials and trying to fill in the gaps yourself, I think!

Also: apple cider vinegar + warm water + honey + fresh ginger + Hail Satan. :3

Edited by Icarus Rex

Definitely consult a professional. It's definitely a vocal technique that needs instruction. Personally, I'm not sure I would recommend it at all, despite the fact that I love both death metal and opera. ;)

I'd recommend Popsicles, honey, warm water, and just keeping your voice at rest as much as you can. Don't whisper! That can be just as damaging as screaming.