Sneeze Fetish Forum

This one's for the writers... ever get uncomfortable writing an illness scene?

this_is_not_me

I write original fiction, not for fetish purposes but because it's what I do. My fetish is not specifically for sneezing so much as illness, especially fevers and coughing. In the chapter I'm writing at the moment, my character gets really obviously ill and I am getting so uncomfortable writing it. I am a very descriptive writer, so I feel obligated to describe the details of his very apparent illness. The illness is important to the current part of the plot for a few reasons, but not central to the overall plot.

The problem is that I am constantly worrying as I work on this bit that I'm putting in too many details and it will be obviously fetishy to people who don't have the fetish--or else annoyingly descriptive.

Anyone else who writes experience this or something like it?

I write original fiction, not for fetish purposes but because it's what I do. My fetish is not specifically for sneezing so much as illness, especially fevers and coughing. In the chapter I'm writing at the moment, my character gets really obviously ill and I am getting so uncomfortable writing it. I am a very descriptive writer, so I feel obligated to describe the details of his very apparent illness. The illness is important to the current part of the plot for a few reasons, but not central to the overall plot.

The problem is that I am constantly worrying as I work on this bit that I'm putting in too many details and it will be obviously fetishy to people who don't have the fetish--or else annoyingly descriptive.

Anyone else who writes experience this or something like it?

the more details, the better :) it's better than reading "he sneezed Achoo and sniffled".

the more details, the better smile.png it's better than reading "he sneezed Achoo and sniffled".

Heh, thank you. :D

I am so tempted to share this chapter here when I'm done with it, but I post my fiction other places on the Internet and I'm scared someone I know outside this forum would stumble upon it here and recognize me.

the more details, the better smile.png it's better than reading "he sneezed Achoo and sniffled".

Heh, thank you. :D

I am so tempted to share this chapter here when I'm done with it, but I post my fiction other places on the Internet and I'm scared someone I know outside this forum would stumble upon it here and recognize me.

Well if you don't want to "post" it you can just pm me it( I'd love to read it ! :) ) that way no one can find it :) but you don't have to if you're shy about your work.

Haha~! I think I get what you mean~ I too get a little nervous I'll be discovered when I put things that are a little fetishy in places that aren't the forum. In fact, the lovely Spoo ended up finding me on fanfiction.net and asking me in code if I knew of the forum xDD. It was her guidance that brought me to this wondrous place *O*

So while I do worry about it, I think normal people don't notice it. Spoo did because she's one of us, but literally no other reviewer seemed keen on it. If anything, they were like, "Aw, he's sick and getting taken care of! Cute." But no one saw it for more than it was. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you can't stop thinking about it or if it causes you anxiety, you could always rewrite a less vivid version for the general public.

Well if you don't want to "post" it you can just pm me it( I'd love to read it ! smile.png ) that way no one can find it smile.png but you don't have to if you're shy about your work.

Thank you!! I might do that. It's a male character, if that matters - mostly coughing and fever and no vomit.

Haha~! I think I get what you mean~ I too get a little nervous I'll be discovered when I put things that are a little fetishy in places that aren't the forum. In fact, the lovely Spoo ended up finding me on fanfiction.net and asking me in code if I knew of the forum xDD. It was her guidance that brought me to this wondrous place *O*

So while I do worry about it, I think normal people don't notice it. Spoo did because she's one of us, but literally no other reviewer seemed keen on it. If anything, they were like, "Aw, he's sick and getting taken care of! Cute." But no one saw it for more than it was. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you can't stop thinking about it or if it causes you anxiety, you could always rewrite a less vivid version for the general public.

Thanks! That's kind of what I was hoping - that it seems weird to me but won't to people without the fetish. I'm thinking I will read it through when I'm done and see if it feels like it needs to be a little lighter on the description. :D

I tot get what you mean, though I write specifically for fetish purposes and that's why I'm so paranoid about people getting in my laptop and possibly finding something even though I keep thi stuff pretty well hidden.

I agree with the other comments. Non fetishists don't notice or think it cute or would naturally think

It's the rigt thing to do--take care of someone when they are sick. But of corse the details are the key. I write in detail too and my suggestion is to just choose your words carefully. Don't get too vague but don't go into hot steamy detail. Just the right amount of misery for the character will do.

I'd love to read what your thinking about doing to your character. PM me if you'd like a critiquer! I'd love to help.

I face a lot of the same paranoia about being found out, thinking I'm making things obvious (in writing or simply in everyday activity), because from my point of view, it IS obvious. However, I'm constantly reminded by my friend (who knows about the fetish) that normal people think nothing of it. I even let her read one of my sneeze fics before, and she said that apart from the spelled-out sneezes, there didn't seem anything weird about it, and if she hadn't already known about the fetish she wouldn't have ever made the connection.

Even if you did publish the work in all its coughing and feverish glory (which I hope you do, because yay), and an outsider picked up on the abundance of detail with the illness, I still doubt they would make a connection to the fetish. More likely, they would probably think there is a deeper meaning to it, or that it is meant to highlight a character's vulnerability, or another character's care-taking tendencies. There are PLENTY of non-fetishy reasons to put emphasis on a character's illness.

My advice would be to write the first draft exactly as you want it. Don't hold back. Indulge in all the fevery sicky goodness you want. Write it as if no one but you or us will ever see it. I think it is important to never box yourself in when writing, whether it's fetishy or not. If you put limits on yourself, you may very easily miss out on finding something great. Later, when you come back to revise it, read it with new eyes and decide whether or not it's too much. Maybe even let someone you trust read it to get their point of view, since it can be very difficult to judge your own work accurately. You can always delete anything you don't what, but if you never write it to begin with, you could miss out on something spectacular.

Best of luck on the journey! I hope you have fun with it. And if you decide you want someone with similar interests to check it out, my PM box is always open too. biggrinsmiley.gifheart.gif

I know what you mean; I get so paranoid that someone will work it out or link me back to here or something. I generally avoid any kind of illness, or anything remotely fetishy, in my non-fetish centric writing. I would echo everyone else in that most people probably won't think it suspicious. It always astounds me that there are so many non-fetish fanfictions and things that involve sneezing or illness that weren't written by one of us. The few times that I have included sickness or something in my writing for other sites are weirdly when I got my best reviews. So I would say go for it, and don't worry about what people are going to think! If the story is good (which I'm sure it is!) then they will love it regardless. :)

When I write stuff like that, I personally just go for it. No shame, let my readers be like 'why is she dwelling on this...?' while I cackle in enjoyment behind my computer screen.

I too would love to read it!

I have accounts on FF.net and AO3 and I am very open about the fact that I write nothing but sickfics. It's a case of "If you don't like sickfics, you won't like my stories, so move along." I'm fortunate that a fair amount of people seem to enjoy what I write, so they either share my kink or they're polite enough to not call me on it. It probably helps that my stories are more H/C than fetishistic. I'll agree with everyone here and say write what makes you happy. Try not to worry about being found out because chances of that are slim and you don't want to rein in that creative process while you're spinning out your stories. I think the idea of having someone check it over for you is a great one, and I'd be willing to have a look. Just out of sheer benevolence, not because I am dying for some more sickfic to read or anything. ;)

Edited by possum

I'd like to read it too smile.png But yeah, I agree with everyone else, non-fetishists don't pay any attention to it

I really want to post it on the forum when I'm done! But the fact that it's a publicly searchable board makes me nervous because I do have these characters posted elsewhere in Internetland. The chances of someone finding me out aren't that high, I guess? But I'm still paranoid. I guess I'll just PM it to anyone who is interested (including you!). :)

I tot get what you mean, though I write specifically for fetish purposes and that's why I'm so paranoid about people getting in my laptop and possibly finding something even though I keep thi stuff pretty well hidden.

I agree with the other comments. Non fetishists don't notice or think it cute or would naturally think

It's the rigt thing to do--take care of someone when they are sick. But of corse the details are the key. I write in detail too and my suggestion is to just choose your words carefully. Don't get too vague but don't go into hot steamy detail. Just the right amount of misery for the character will do.

I'd love to read what your thinking about doing to your character. PM me if you'd like a critiquer! I'd love to help.

Yeah, I'm worried I might overdo the misery... but he's pretty miserable and the fact that he refuses to accept help from someone who offers it is actually pretty relevant to plot later in the storyline... so I guess I will see. :)

(will definitely PM you when I have it whipped into shape a bit more)

I face a lot of the same paranoia about being found out, thinking I'm making things obvious (in writing or simply in everyday activity), because from my point of view, it IS obvious. However, I'm constantly reminded by my friend (who knows about the fetish) that normal people think nothing of it. I even let her read one of my sneeze fics before, and she said that apart from the spelled-out sneezes, there didn't seem anything weird about it, and if she hadn't already known about the fetish she wouldn't have ever made the connection.

Even if you did publish the work in all its coughing and feverish glory (which I hope you do, because yay), and an outsider picked up on the abundance of detail with the illness, I still doubt they would make a connection to the fetish. More likely, they would probably think there is a deeper meaning to it, or that it is meant to highlight a character's vulnerability, or another character's care-taking tendencies. There are PLENTY of non-fetishy reasons to put emphasis on a character's illness.

My advice would be to write the first draft exactly as you want it. Don't hold back. Indulge in all the fevery sicky goodness you want. Write it as if no one but you or us will ever see it. I think it is important to never box yourself in when writing, whether it's fetishy or not. If you put limits on yourself, you may very easily miss out on finding something great. Later, when you come back to revise it, read it with new eyes and decide whether or not it's too much. Maybe even let someone you trust read it to get their point of view, since it can be very difficult to judge your own work accurately. You can always delete anything you don't what, but if you never write it to begin with, you could miss out on something spectacular.

Best of luck on the journey! I hope you have fun with it. And if you decide you want someone with similar interests to check it out, my PM box is always open too. biggrinsmiley.gifheart.gif

Thank you so much for the advice. I originally wrote it with the illness parts WAY toned down, even though the character was very clear in my head about how miserable he was. You'd think I would learn to listen to the characters, but nope. So it turned out really blah and then later on, I realized that there IS a deeper meaning/relevance to how sick he is and his refusal to accept much in the way of caretaking, which is when I decided to rewrite it in more detail.

It's possible I will have to back it off some once I'm done. I'm thinking about having a friend of mine look at it because even though she doesn't know I have this particular fetish, she knows I have several other kinks and if she called me on it I would probably be able to handle it. I will definitely share it with you when I've got it all done!

I know what you mean; I get so paranoid that someone will work it out or link me back to here or something. I generally avoid any kind of illness, or anything remotely fetishy, in my non-fetish centric writing. I would echo everyone else in that most people probably won't think it suspicious. It always astounds me that there are so many non-fetish fanfictions and things that involve sneezing or illness that weren't written by one of us. The few times that I have included sickness or something in my writing for other sites are weirdly when I got my best reviews. So I would say go for it, and don't worry about what people are going to think! If the story is good (which I'm sure it is!) then they will love it regardless. smile.png

Thank you! You're right... there really are a lot of sickfics out there. I didn't realize how many until recently. It's interesting that your illness fics get the best reviews. Maybe it's because it's something you're passionate about. :)

When I write stuff like that, I personally just go for it. No shame, let my readers be like 'why is she dwelling on this...?' while I cackle in enjoyment behind my computer screen.

I too would love to read it!

Hehehehe... it does relate to the plot, so hopefully it will not come off too over the top in the context of the overall (multi-chapter) storyline. I will definitely PM you when it's done. I wish I weren't so paranoid so I could just post it here!

this is the best writing advice I've ever encountered. Thank you!

I have accounts on FF.net and AO3 and I am very open about the fact that I write nothing but sickfics. It's a case of "If you don't like sickfics, you won't like my stories, so move along." I'm fortunate that a fair amount of people seem to enjoy what I write, so they either share my kink or they're polite enough to not call me on it. It probably helps that my stories are more H/C than fetishistic. I'll agree with everyone here and say write what makes you happy. Try not to worry about being found out because chances of that are slim and you don't want to rein in that creative process while you're spinning out your stories. I think the idea of having someone check it over for you is a great one, and I'd be willing to have a look. Just out of sheer benevolence, not because I am dying for some more sickfic to read or anything. wink.png

Thank you!! Both for the advice and your purely benevolent offer (which I will take you up on when I'm done).

Can I join the list of people who want to read it? XD If you want, you can PM me or something once you're validated and I can tell you if it's too fetish-y or whatever. As people above have said, no one will think anything of it. Write it with the same amount of description as the rest of your story, and even if there's more detail, it should be fine (don't spell sneezes out, though). Also, as you said, it relates to the plot, so you have that going for you.

Can I join the list of people who want to read it? XD If you want, you can PM me or something once you're validated and I can tell you if it's too fetish-y or whatever. As people above have said, no one will think anything of it. Write it with the same amount of description as the rest of your story, and even if there's more detail, it should be fine (don't spell sneezes out, though). Also, as you said, it relates to the plot, so you have that going for you.

I will absolutely send it to you! I think that was what made decide I needed to include the detail (besides the plot relevance). My writing in general is pretty descriptive (possibly too much so). And oops, I didn't realize (or remember) that I needed to be validated before I could PM people! Heh, I guess it will be a little while before I can send anyone the story.

I certainly do have the worry at the back of my head that people will discover my stories and find them overly obviously fetishy. however, the only place I will post them is on the forum, and so hopefully (although in no way certainly) the people who will be reading them will also either have the fetish or at least be fetish-curious :lol: I suppose what I am really worried about is people who know me reading my stories.

I certainly do have the worry at the back of my head that people will discover my stories and find them overly obviously fetishy. however, the only place I will post them is on the forum, and so hopefully (although in no way certainly) the people who will be reading them will also either have the fetish or at least be fetish-curious heh.gif I suppose what I am really worried about is people who know me reading my stories.

I get worried about people who know me reading my fiction, too - the ones who aren't already familiar with it. It's not fetishy (for the most part), but it can be a bit twisted and it's not for everyone. Here, I'm mostly concerned with one of the (admittedly very few) people who knows my characters coming across them on here and realize I post here (hence being scared to post my chapter). Which is really pretty silly, and now that I've realized how long it's likely to be before I can PM it to anyone (since it might be a while before I'm validated)... I'm getting kind of tempted to post it to the forum anyway. *sigh*

If it makes you feel any better, I tested this theory in college MANY times. I studied creative writing and I put sneezing in almost every story. And I described it quite vividly. Not a single person ever commented on it in a negative fashion. In fact, I got a compliment once because of it. :lol: The girl said that the way I described this particular character's cold sneezing was exactly how a cold felt to her and she loved it. I was amused.

But trust me, no one is going to notice. I've been writing my entire life and many, many people have read my stuff. Not one non-fetish person has ever called me on it and I use it A LOT. :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, I tested this theory in college MANY times. I studied creative writing and I put sneezing in almost every story. And I described it quite vividly. Not a single person ever commented on it in a negative fashion. In fact, I got a compliment once because of it. :lol: The girl said that the way I described this particular character's cold sneezing was exactly how a cold felt to her and she loved it. I was amused.

But trust me, no one is going to notice. I've been writing my entire life and many, many people have read my stuff. Not one non-fetish person has ever called me on it and I use it A LOT. :lol:

Really? I'm in a creative writing class and I piked it as my minor. I get so nervous writing about something other than sneezing because I'm not

Used to it and every idea to me seems cliche. And I'm so paranoid about sharing my writing.

I do have a question though: are your stories actual ply based or are thh centered around sneezing? Meaning is a cold or an allergy attack just a simple bonus or does the ailment control the plot?

See these things I wonder if people pick up on....

If you write sneeze fics Id love to read some of your work! Or really anything of yours.

If it makes you feel any better, I tested this theory in college MANY times. I studied creative writing and I put sneezing in almost every story. And I described it quite vividly. Not a single person ever commented on it in a negative fashion. In fact, I got a compliment once because of it. heh.gif The girl said that the way I described this particular character's cold sneezing was exactly how a cold felt to her and she loved it. I was amused.

But trust me, no one is going to notice. I've been writing my entire life and many, many people have read my stuff. Not one non-fetish person has ever called me on it and I use it A LOT. heh.gif

This does make me feel better, thank you. So far, I haven't even showed the damn chapter to my best friend who I show everything to. It's not even a kinky chapter, ffs. The character happens to be sick and it's part of the plot and I know I'm being ridiculous. Probably. Unless I'm not and I really overdid it. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I tested this theory in college MANY times. I studied creative writing and I put sneezing in almost every story. And I described it quite vividly. Not a single person ever commented on it in a negative fashion. In fact, I got a compliment once because of it. heh.gif The girl said that the way I described this particular character's cold sneezing was exactly how a cold felt to her and she loved it. I was amused.

But trust me, no one is going to notice. I've been writing my entire life and many, many people have read my stuff. Not one non-fetish person has ever called me on it and I use it A LOT. heh.gif

Really? I'm in a creative writing class and I piked it as my minor. I get so nervous writing about something other than sneezing because I'm not

Used to it and every idea to me seems cliche. And I'm so paranoid about sharing my writing.

I do have a question though: are your stories actual ply based or are thh centered around sneezing? Meaning is a cold or an allergy attack just a simple bonus or does the ailment control the plot?

See these things I wonder if people pick up on....

If you write sneeze fics Id love to read some of your work! Or really anything of yours.

I always do plot before sneezing. Always. :yes: If the sneezing doesn't come as a natural extension to the plot, I don't use it. I have a few "drabble" type threads on other forums that I use when I just want to write sneezing and nothing but sneezing. However, a cold or an illness can become very central to a plot, if you do it right. :yes:

I sent you PM about where you can find some of stuff, if you're curious. :) I hope this helps!

This does make me feel better, thank you. So far, I haven't even showed the damn chapter to my best friend who I show everything to. It's not even a kinky chapter, ffs. The character happens to be sick and it's part of the plot and I know I'm being ridiculous. Probably. Unless I'm not and I really overdid it. smile.png

(The multiquote button refused to work. Sorry for double posting!)

I have a non-fetish friend who reads most of my work, but she knows about my fetish. I sometimes ask her if it's too much or too obvious and the only time she called me on it was when I left in a bunch of spellings by accident. :lol:

I bet you'll be fine. I don't know if you've heard of the author Kim Harrison, but there is a very gratuitous sneezing scene in one of her books that I love because it reads like fetish fiction. However, no one has ever brought it up on any of her sites. She actually uses sneezing quite a bit in her work, but the only reason I notice it is because I'm totally looking for it. :lol:

Oh yeah haha. A lot of stuff I don't post, or my like next part to the story feels too uncomfortable that I just never update it lol. I have posted the things I was uncomfortable writing once or twice, and it ended up working out fine. Even when I reread them now I like them much more than when I was writing it and felt all embarrassed by it.

I'm totally into illness, like fever and coughing as well. And I know a lot of people aren't into coughing. But I love it xP and writing about it feels kind of like I'm just wasting people's time cus they'll just skim through and look for the sneezes or something. It feels much more like... Attention grabbing lol. Like if someone sneezes, you bless them and at most give them a tissue. If someone's having a coughing fit, it seems much more worrying. Someone would be trying to rub their back and get them water and they'd be all out of breath from coughing and weak from fever and need someone to take care of them...... Haha much more intimate than just sneezinf xD I don't think I've ever written an allergy fic. I like the sickies lol.