Sneeze Fetish Forum

Does preventing yourself from sneezing do any harm?

Sneezologist123

I admit to being guilty of sometimes keeping myself from sneezing (especially when I'm around my parents). This usually involves me mentally willing the sneezes to stop, or trying to distract myself from the tickle. But whenever I do it, I always wonder if I'm actually harming myself. I mean, sneezing is a powerful reflex to protect our bodies, right? If you don't sneeze when your body really wants to, is that bad? What would happen if we never sneezed?

I wouldn't think it would do any harm. Our bodies react to what they think is something that could harm us - that doesn't mean that it will. Look at people with allergies. Their bodies react to substances which their bodies identify as being harmful, however they are not actually harmful. I wouldn't worry about not sneezing causing any lasting damage.

I must have stopped myself sneezing thousands of times in my life (because I am never ever going to sneeze in front of my family, or 99% of other people for that matter) and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

(disclaimer - I have no medical knowledge whatsoever)

:joal:

Stopping a sneeze before it ever happens? I don't think you can hurt yourself that way. Stiffling a sneeze, Ive heard, can hurt your ears, eyes and nose... ESPECIALLY if Im around and see you do it! Then it hurts your legs, knees, chest, arms... stretcher.gifarrowheadsmiley.png

well that escalated quickly

anyway, nah it doesn't hurt you. sometimes maybe you get sick more easily at the absolute worst. that's all.

Stopping a sneeze before it ever happens? I don't think you can hurt yourself that way. Stiffling a sneeze, Ive heard, can hurt your ears, eyes and nose... ESPECIALLY if Im around and see you do it! Then it hurts your legs, knees, chest, arms... stretcher.gifarrowheadsmiley.png

Good to see Sternuto around, faithful to the message - which I also endorse! Enjoy your sneezes, let them out!

I don't think it harms you at all if you're doing it before the actual climax of the sneeze. I often simply just . . . stop my own. I'm not sure how, but I decide I'm not going to sneeze and I just don't do it. I work in a place that is blessing-happy and I don't want it conferred upon me, thank you very much. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't see how it would hurt to completely prevent a sneeze. I've heard about people rupturing eardrums by stifling or hurting their backs by sneezing awkwardly. People have wrecked their cars because of sneezing. Sneezing is risky business!

I'd probably be 100% dead, if it did. :lol:

As others have said, the pressure built up by stifling can be physically harmful (especially when Sternuto comes for your kneecaps), but I doubt that willing away a sneeze could cause any long-term damage.