Sneeze Fetish Forum

When you're sick, are you more emotional?

BurgundyJayne

I wondered if anyone noticed or would be willing to discuss the emotional effect that being sick and feeling run down/tired/physically weak has on you? I think we can all agree that to an extent it affects this, being irritable in particular!

But I think what I'm looking for here is, do you get depressed or are you more emotionally sensitive when you're sick?

Does it play into your desire to be cared for/lack of willingness to let someone take care of you?

I totally, totally do. I'm a very emotional person(I have a few mood disorders) and even the slightest health problem screws everything up and makes me very emotional, mood swings and all.

Don't know about the caretaking thing like at all.

Edited by AltoFairy

I don't think it affects my mood/emotional state negatively. I mean sure, I might be a bit irritable at times but that's not due to being sick making me more emotional.

I wondered if anyone noticed or would be willing to discuss the emotional effect that being sick and feeling run down/tired/physically weak has on you? I think we can all agree that to an extent it affects this, being irritable in particular!

But I think what I'm looking for here is, do you get depressed or are you more emotionally sensitive when you're sick?

Does it play into your desire to be cared for/lack of willingness to let someone take care of you?

If it's just a cold I'm more or less the same as normal. Anything worse, and it definitely affects me. I'm not very good at accepting caretaking because my family basically didn't even notice when I was sick most of the time (except when I was really little). But I still sort of want to be... I don't know what I want, really. Most of the time, I either push through (but whine a little) or hide in a room alone as much as possible until it's over. xD

I just get overly sensitive. Like, someone could say something perfectly innocent to me and I'll start crying. :lol: That tends to be more associated with tiredness/exhaustion for me, though, so I guess it's the tiredness on top of the sickness rather than the sickness itself. In terms of the care-taking thing, I prefer to be alone in general if I'm sick, so I guess in that way it does relate to me not liking to be taken care of.

I just get overly sensitive. Like, someone could say something perfectly innocent to me and I'll start crying. heh.gif That tends to be more associated with tiredness/exhaustion for me, though, so I guess it's the tiredness on top of the sickness rather than the sickness itself. In terms of the care-taking thing, I prefer to be alone in general if I'm sick, so I guess in that way it does relate to me not liking to be taken care of.

Wow. I could have written all of this myself. :omg: So I'll just say... what she said. :)

I'm definitely either irritable or numbed out/ don't give a f$&@ for the most part, but if my body hurts or I'm exhausted then it definitely turns into taking things the wrong way and crying easily. Sometimes I can have perspective and get a grip during those times and realize it seems worse because I'm sick but other times I'll go off on you or break down crying.

My husband gets a little more weepy and emotional if he's coming down with something but he's a big cream puff most of the time anyway. Oddly enough, for all of that, he doesn't like to be bothered when he's ill.

I'm the opposite of a lot of you! I think I'm fairly emotional/expressive when I'm healthy, but when I'm not feeling well I kind of become a wall -- very stoic and nonreactive. I think it's kind of a defense mechanism, since I'm already feeling vulnerable physically (and usually embarrassed) and I don't want to add emotional vulnerability to it as well, so I close myself off.

I'm not usually super emotional when I'm ill unless I have a stomach bug in which case I'm curled in a ball of tears, hyperventilating the majority of the time and being whiny like "I DON'T WANNA GET SICK AGAIN. DON'T MAKE ME PLEASE HELP!".

When I was younger, like before high school. I would get clingy when I was sick and sleep in my parents bed and enjoy being taken care of, but once I reached high school and my brother was like 4, my parents wanted to keep me and him apart when I was sick and stuff so they basically would just hole me up in my room and make sure I took my medicine so since then I haven't been really clingy when I was sick. I just keep to myself and take my medicine and since starting college I don't complain when I get sick and I don't whine because I'm not trying to get out of school anymore. Like in high school and younger the majority of the time I would get a small cold or something I'd whine like I was dying so I wouldn't have to go to school, but since I don't need permission to skip I don't whine or get emotional or anything.

The only major illness I caught coming to college I had a fever and a bad stomach ache, loss of appetite but I thankfully never threw up or anything. And it was weird 'cause I tried to go to class and didn't make it very far before getting really dizzy and walking back to the dorm and I scared my roommate who was home (she thought someone had broken in) and it was weird that she and our friend stayed in the dorm while I was there and came and sat on the edge of my bed and watched movies with me and got me anything I needed. I thought they would've avoided me like the plague so they wouldn't get sick but they were really caring and so I think I'm starting to pick back up a bit on the clingy-ness. Last time I had a migraine I curled up on one of my roommate's laps and took a nap while we were all watching a Disney movie.

So it's really on and off if I'm emotional

I usually do not like to be taken care of when I'm sick. If I'm not feeling well, I really just want to be left alone to deal with things myself. Unless I'm really sick, then I don't mind being waited on a little for practical purposes smile.png But I definitely don't want to be fussed over or pawed at.

I wouldn't say I get depressed when I'm sick, but I can get irritable sometimes, and I definitely can get pretty touchy and emotional. I have kind of a weird hangup where I don't like to become emotional in front of other people, and huh, now that I think about it, that is probably one more reason I just want to be left alone if I'm not feeling well.

Hahaha, I definitely get emotionally affected by being sick, with the exception being when I had mono. I was too tired to have emotions at that time :lol: but yeah, when I'm like, common illness sick, I cry at everything.

I don't get emotional emotional, but I do go into straight denial to save what's left of my dignity. I also tend to get snarky and (more) bitchy. I try to do everything that I do when healthy, and unless it's obvious that I'm sick, there will be no mentioning of it by me. Basically, it's best if I'm left alone. :)

Like seniorstatus said, stomachaches are sort of an exception. I still want to be left alone. But I do cry and hope and pray and beg that it goes away and does not make me feel nauseous.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally for me, no. Unless it's a stomach ache, but that's related to my Emetophobia.

Fevers can make people emotional and weepy sometimes. Also, the body deals with exhaustion through crying. Those two factors may have something to do with it.

you know it never used to bother me,it wasnt lik i was jn denial or anythink i was more like 'suck it up' and get on with it well life of such... only recently ive realised or caught myself saying to other oh no imsick or no im pretty ill t the moment... and the sympathy is kinda nice ;-) xx

I am, very much so. I am definitely quite a 'feely' person in general, but I can get a bit weepy over silly things when I'm not feeling well, much more so when someone does something nice for me than the other way round.

Like... once a friend at work wrapped-up all the items in my area like funny little gifts as a playful way of cheering me up when I was a bit sick (we've done similar things every so often so not totally out of character, but it was still a special effort!) and I was just so touched that I not only cried at the time, but for the days afterwards whilst I still not 100%, I still kept getting super-teary every time I thought of it!!

I really like to be sick haha. So I'm most depressed when I think in getting sick and turns out that I'm not, or when I've been exposed soooo strongly to a virus and I still don't get sick. I get so down about it lol. But very secluded I don't want to be around anyone, I just want to stay in my bed forever and ever.

If I'm sick and like actually feeling super bad, it just makes me like want someone to cuddle me and hold me and help me just fall asleep and get over the bad part. I don't say when I feel really bad, but I can't hide it. I'll do weird things like just try to be comfortable wherever I can be, and often that's like curled up on a cold floor lol or something. I don't even think I just do whatever I think will bring some relief. And if someone is there to notice and tell me what I can do to feel better I adore them haha. But I also feel pretty embarrassed about needing them to take care of me xP

I don't get emotional emotional, but I do go into straight denial to save what's left of my dignity.

basically i'm too busy trying to hide it to be emotional! so that means i definitely don't want someone to care for me (that would involve me admitting to them that im sick)...I just reeeally want everyone to completely disappear for a few days lol

Totally emotional. I cry at everything and nothing, and I get even more sensitive to criticism than usual. I just want to curl up in bed and be looked after.

• 4 weeks later...

As it turns out, I'm an agitated, nervous BEAST with a fever. I guess it's been awhile; I really had no idea. Oh god. :lol: (I didn't respond to this thread when it first made the rounds, because I'm generally very emotionally passive when I'm sick, but now I see what you mean with this...)

I'm still inclined to isolate myself if I'm not feeling well, physically or emotionally. Maybe moreso, if I know I'm acting like a grouchy hobgoblin.