Sneeze Fetish Forum

Name change?

riyona_ebooks

Hi guys :)

I've been thinking about changing my display name. I'm thinking about changing it to "Ruijou-chan" (it sounded cute in my head lol),but any other ideas?

Hm... I dunno, it depends on where you're from I guess? Like, it isn't cool to take someone else's culture and use it just bc you think it's cute, but if it's your own culture and you know the meanings in it and etc, it kind of belongs to you so do whatever you want, basically? I always kinda associate you with Luigi, so i had an idea that maybe you could have a name something to do with that?

Hm... I dunno, it depends on where you're from I guess? Like, it isn't cool to take someone else's culture and use it just bc you think it's cute, but if it's your own culture and you know the meanings in it and etc, it kind of belongs to you so do whatever you want, basically? I always kinda associate you with Luigi, so i had an idea that maybe you could have a name something to do with that?

Where would you draw the line of what is not okay? What is so sacret (aside from things that are actually sacret) that someone who likes the culture couldn't use it as a screenname? I think it's perfectly fine to use names or words or names of mythical creatures (for example) from other cultures as your screenname - people do it anyway and no on bats an eyelash unless they recognize it as something non-European. As long as you are not trying to make fun of the culture or anything nasty like that what harm comes of it?

I don't necessarily think cross-cultural names are an issue these days, with so much cross cultural interaction and media. Especially like Sitru said if it's something like a character from mythology (hello!heh.gif ) or popular culture. I do think it's important to know what the name you're taking means if it's not in your native language though, obviously you don't want to end up with a name that means something offensive. And I have to ask, NerdyInternetGirl, where did you get Ruijou from? I don't speak any Asian languages, but all the translations I could find online said that it's Japanese for "raising a number to a power", which while (presumably) not offensive, does seem like an odd choice for a name.

As far as suggestions, I agree that something to do with the Mario franchise, or Nintendo in general would make sense, but obviously it's your name, so it's your choice.

Edited by Jormungandr

Call me old fashioned, but I find it a source of constant confusion that members change their name on here so often. Maybe its because my childhood and teenage years were spent pre-internet...? Thank goodness for the feature which displays name history, otherwise I wouldn't know who half of you were! :lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with changing your name. And Ruijou honestly just sounds like a cute name for a Luigi fan. :lol: "Lady Luigi" or something like that? Unless that wasn't what you were going for, in which case, that's just What Ruijou will sound to me whenever I see it.

Call me old fashioned, but I find it a source of constant confusion that members change their name on here so often. Maybe its because my childhood and teenage years were spent pre-internet...? Thank goodness for the feature which displays name history, otherwise I wouldn't know who half of you were! :lol:

It's less crazy here than on one of the other websites I frequent. (;

It always was confusing to me, too, but I'm going to explain that with none of Finnish forums (which were the first websites I got familiar with) allow you to change your username more than once.

Do what you like.

The thing about it is that someone may always judge you for your decision, but in the end, you truly mean no harm. And really, everyone is offended by something these days. It's absurd. Those that are offended needn't look. Someone will always take something personally that isn't about them. That's not your problem. It's just a name. It's okay. :yes: I can definitely see how if you were calling yourself some deity or something people might raise an eyebrow, but who's to say what your connection to any given name may or may not be?

It's whatever. (Profound, I know. :P )

It's your name, it's who you are, and who we identify with... *I mean that in a good way* I know when I first started on the forum and had to pick my name it was a big deal... I sat in front of my laptop, and wondered 'who am I, and who do I want to be.' Cheesy? Yes. But honestly i've grown fond of my name... Second thoughts yes, on occasion, but now people are calling me 'Vintage,' I have a nickname!!! *I was so flippin stoked!!!* I guess in the long run... We'll call you whatever you want. Hope this helps. biggrinsmiley.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE DECIDED!

From this day forward,I shall now be known as "Luigi the Magical Kitsune!"

THANK YOU ALL,I NOW ROYALLY DECLARE THIS TOPIC CLOSED!

.U.