Sneeze Fetish Forum

I mean, where's it going to end?

Heathcliff

I'd like to see 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead' in its entirety sometime. :) Seems interesting.

I can't say I think this particular scene is very pretentious though. :laugh:

This scene isn't very pretentious.. but when I was about 18, I thought this play was the best thing ever and what theatre was really 'about'....

and later on you think, maybe this is more about Tom Stoppard showing off and being wordy.

Also later on I learned how little I knew about most things, including theatre.

It seems pretty par for the "theatre" course, which maybe in itself is a little pretentious, but I like it? I also really like seeing the difference between movie/TV acting and stage acting. I am not really a fan of two characters carrying the whole play in tete-a-tete scenes like Waiting for Godot and this scene (although it's not like this for the entire play IIRC) but.

Also there are a lot of boots and shoulders and Guildenstern is really super attractive.

What were we talking about?

This scene isn't very pretentious.. but when I was about 18, I thought this play was the best thing ever and what theatre was really 'about'....

and later on you think, maybe this is more about Tom Stoppard showing off and being wordy.

Also later on I learned how little I knew about most things, including theatre.

I'm not sure how to feel about Stoppard in general. Now, I admit I haven't seen/read that much of his work, but the things I have seen... I dunno, it's been good but not great? And yet I have heard people describing him as one of Britain's greatest living playwrights and whatnot. I guess his humour and play on words are often a bit "close but no cigar" to me? Then again, he did manage to adopt the sublime Parade's End novels to the small screen without butchering them completely, and I guess I'm grateful for that, at least.

This clip is also funny to me because I don't think Cumberbatch is particularly good in it. :laugh: It makes me a little uncomfortable, but it's probably very healthy for me to see him being mediocre every now and then. Kodna, on the other hand... way to steal a scene with just a couple of lines, man!

Damn, I need to watch more theatre. It's been like a year since I last went. :( *is poor* *goes to download recorded theatre productions illegally*

It seems pretty par for the "theatre" course, which maybe in itself is a little pretentious, but I like it?

Yeah, I like it to. Despite everything else I said I do enjoy this play- I've seen it a couple of times on stage, and I would definitely go and see it again if it was on nearby.

I'm not sure how to feel about Stoppard in general. Now, I admit I haven't seen/read that much of his work, but the things I have seen... I dunno, it's been good but not great? And yet I have heard people describing him as one of Britain's greatest living playwrights and whatnot. I guess his humour and play on words are often a bit "close but no cigar" to me? Then again, he did manage to adopt the sublime Parade's End novels to the small screen without butchering them completely, and I guess I'm grateful for that, at least.

This clip is also funny to me because I don't think Cumberbatch is particularly good in it. laughing.gif It makes me a little uncomfortable, but it's probably very healthy for me to see him being mediocre every now and then. Kodna, on the other hand... way to steal a scene with just a couple of lines, man!

Damn, I need to watch more theatre. It's been like a year since I last went. sadsmiley.gif *is poor* *goes to download recorded theatre productions illegally*

I haven't seen that much of Stoppard's stuff either. My problem is that I do like theatre, but I'm not very knowledgeable about it at all, and I tend to take other people's opinions and think I should believe the same thing.

I was in an amateur drama group as a teenager, with a wonderful teacher who clearly liked Stoppard a lot; She got us to perform one of Stoppard's short works for a local drama competition. I thought "She likes Stoppard, therefore I should think he's great too". It was later when I started to think for myself a little bit more that I thought plays like this were good, but I didn't need to consider them a masterpiece.

I'm aware this makes me sound like an incredibly shallow person; but if I'd never been pretentious, and tried to like things I thought I should like, I would never have discovered certain books/plays/movies that I really enjoy.

P.S. I know this clip was recorded ages ago, but Cumberbatch seems completely unsuited to the role now- because Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are supposed to be background characters, and at the moment Cumberbatch is the least 'background' actor in the world!

Archived