Sneeze Fetish Forum

Checking For Fevers

Ali Marie

As I have started to take my own writing more seriously, I have been working on a story where Pyrexia (Fevers) is central to the plot. Thus, I have realized that I kinda have a thing for fevers as well, or rather, I developed it. blushsmiley.gif

So, I'm curious, guys...What's your favorite method of checking for fevers. I'm really a fan of the basic Hand-To-The-Forehead. Palm or back, I enjoy both. My dad checks for fevers with his hand vertical, instead of horizontal, which I had never seen anyone do until he did it to me. I don't like that. I feel like the position makes it less effective, but I may be wrong.

I've also seen people go Cheek-To-Forehead; supposedly because we can't always count on our hands to be the right temperature when checking for fevers, thanks to outside factors. My physical therapist once made another patient check me for a fever. She said she couldn't because she had been washing her hands too much & wouldn't be able to get my accurate body temp.

I know there's a few other methods out there that can be utilized when checking for fevers, so I wanna hear everybody's opinion on it.

I love fevers too! I actually have a real thing for checking for fevers with a thermometer. I have no idea why, esp. since that seems a lot less personal than the forehead-touch and such, but I've always liked the thermometer thing ever since I was a kid. I like the old-fashioned mercury ones that go in your mouth though - the new ones that just roll over your forehead are not nearly as fun to me, and neither are the digital ones, though I still like those too, maybe just because they go in the patient's mouth, haha.

I find the hand-to-forehead action very sweet too, I definitely think it can be a lovely moment in fiction- intimate in a careful kind of way, especially if it's done by a character almost going the tiniest bit out of character to do it. happy.png

I hadn't heard of the cheek thing- that's interesting. I really only think of the thermometer as an accurate method of checking for sure... my favourite description of using one would definitely be the under-the-tongue method. But I have also heard many times that this method is the least accurate!

Another that comes to mind is a medical tricorder, every Starfleet Medical Officer's weapon of choice. And it has an added bonus of checking all other vital life signs as well, even for non-human races. I'll take one! laugh.png

I also have a thing for fevers! I think almost all stories I write there's a fever in it somewhere. My mom used to use the back of her hands or an ear thermometer to check me which I hate. As I've gotten older and grown away from home I realized I love the "under the tongue" thermometers because the person can't talk and they just look so vulnerable and in need of comfort.

Soon after getting back to college after winter break I started not feeling well and I didn't say anything about not feeling well, I was just lying on the sofa watching tv with my roommates (I was curled under a blanket with my head basically in my roommates lap so I could use her as a pillow and her hands were cold so she wanted to annoy me/joke around and placed her ice cold hand on my cheek and she was like "ouch! You're really hot!" and she started feeling my forehead and asking me if I felt okay and if I might have a fever and was like "okay I'll remove my ice hands" and I was like "no, feels good on my headache" and so she kept them there. I think when people use the palm to forehead it's my favorite method and when they take you by surprise like they just place their hands there on accident and sense something's wrong or if they think you're acting funny and so they check.

One day I want to get a boyfriend so he can do the whole "kiss check" I've never had anyone kiss my forehead to check for a fever and it seems so sweet I want to try it someday.

I write fevers into pretty much everything I post on here! I think the hand-forehead-method is cute, but my personal favourite is forehead-to-forehead. Although it's probably not the most accurate method, it just seems a bit more intimate to me because of the proximity... :blush:

Ohh, nice topic. Like MaiMai, I like forehead-to-forehead, mostly for the pure sweetness of the gesture rather than the accuracy. Although I do like it if the feverish person A has sort of longish bangs and person B has to sweep them away to the side or beneath them to check the fever. And the back of the hand is nice for checking too.

I LOVE FEVERS. I definitely prefer the hand-to-forehead method, but just the back of the hand. Palm-to-forehead would be a pretty inaccurate read and just aesthetic-wise I love it the other way.

I also really like feeling along the neck and collarbone area, too, and sometimes on the nape of the neck. That's especially intimate, though, and definitely not something just anyone would do.

Checking for fevers is definitely the biggest part of my fetish! I don't care how much sneezing there is, I'm almost completely disinterested until there's fever-checking involved.

Like TaurielRiver said, I love when people go out of character to do it. Like one person is out of character because of their fever, and the other person notices and goes out of character out of concern.

My favorite method is definitely palm-to-forehead...everything else just seems really awkward to me!

Although I do like it if the feverish person A has sort of longish bangs and person B has to sweep them away to the side or beneath them to check the fever

THIS^^ I also think it's really cute when after checking their forehead, person B rubs person A's back in an effort to both comfort them and check for fevers again (my dad actually checks for fevers by feeling backs instead of foreheads). This can also transition to hugging pretty easily!

I love the "under the tongue" thermometers because the person can't talk and they just look so vulnerable and in need of comfort.

^and this!! While I like forehead-feeling the best, I also like when it's followed by thermometer-checking because I do like to know the actual temperature.

And Alexandra Marie, I'm really excited to read your storytongue.gif

I like when it goes from hand to forehead and then hand to cheek, lingering on their cheek for a second while they tell them they're warm.

Like TaurielRiver said, I love when people go out of character to do it. Like one person is out of character because of their fever, and the other person notices and goes out of character out of concern.

THIS THIS THIS! One of the reasons my favorite characters are always the anti-hero types... leaves room for these types of fantasies!

I prefer palm to forehead even though I realize it is less accurate than the back of the hand. I like the idea of the palm pressed firmly against the forehead which cannot really be achieved with the back of the hand. Though I do really like the back of the hand lightly touching the cheek, almost like a caress? Lips to forehead and feeling around the neck are also wonderful. yes.gif

I like when it goes from hand to forehead and then hand to cheek, lingering on their cheek for a second while they tell them they're warm

Oh yes! yes.gif

Though I do have a strong sneezing fetish, I'm very happy that there are others whose fever fetish dominates as well. smile.png

As I have started to take my own writing more seriously, I have been working on a story where Pyrexia (Fevers) is central to the plot. Thus, I have realized that I kinda have a thing for fevers as well, or rather, I developed it.

I just want to scoop up this whole thread and hug it. Fevers are my thing. Like you, this fetish snuck up on me. I have had the sneezing fetish since I was a child and the fever fetish crept into my life when I was around 20 or so and is getting gradually more intense. I like everything about it.

In terms of thermometers I only really like the under the tongue glass ones, in historical contexts. I love historical fic where fever is less well understood, paracetamol or what have you is less or not available and fever is treated as (and can potentially be) more serious. I LOVE glass thermometers. I'm thinking of buying one to play with. I'll keep you all posted if I do!

I find the hand-to-forehead action very sweet too, I definitely think it can be a lovely moment in fiction- intimate in a careful kind of way, especially if it's done by a character almost going the tiniest bit out of character to do it. happy.png I hadn't heard of the cheek thing- that's interesting.

Ugh YES when people go out of character to do it. Characters whom you wouldn't expect would think or even KNOW how to check for fever showing unexpected competency it my favourite.

Cheek to forehead is one of my favourites too. It's true about checking with your hands being inaccurate. I work with young children and often check with my cheek before bothering to go get a thermometer, for this reason. I love the idea of it for adults. I think in general it's the concern for being accurate, of refusing to dismiss a temperature as "nothing", even a low one.

I don't know I like palm-to-forehead or back of hand to forehead more. Back of fingers to cheek is great too. i think it depends on the character for me. I get way too much pleasure out of thinking which method of checking would be in right for each character. For some reason i often feel like men are more likely to go with the less intimate (to me) fingers or back of hand, and females to go with palm. No logic to that at all. But I really like the idea of someone checking with the back of hand and then moving to palm to be sure.

Also count me in as someone who is glad they're not alone in this. I have a big fetish happy from this entire thread.

• 1 month later...

My boyfriend just got over a terrible case of the flu and had a fever for almost a week. He hates to be babied so I would casually slide my hand up the back of his shirt and feel the nape of his back. Definitely my new favorite way of checking for fever!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This is my first post after like...a 4 year hiatus. Lol.

Anyway, I have to be honest. I only signed up to this website years ago because its the only place where people talk about my true fetish. Fevers.

I only like sneezes, coughing, shivering, flushed faces (RoyalFlush ring a bell?) and general discomfort from illness or infection...because they all are indicators of illness and fevers.

I could rant for days about the different types of ways you can check for a fever. My favorite, by far, is checking for a fever with the palm of someones hand to the forehead. But, I love to add a little sensual, or intimate flair to it. For example, if they check the forehead with their hand and then move down to feel their cheeks, or even to brush along the back of their necks to see if they are warm all over. I also love when a man has bangs, and someone places their hand under the bangs to feel his forehead. *shivers!*

Just thinking about it makes me go crazy!

Sometimes checking the back of the neck and the forehead together are really perfect ways to check for a fever.

I love thermometers too. When someone put the thermometer in their mouth and just holds it there looking all grumpy or sedated and miserable. That’s the most amazing thing ever.

Sometimes at home, I’ll check my own temperature just for fun. I don’t ever get sick, maybe just like 3 times in a good 10 year period, but I love to imagine what a man might feel like when he as a fever. If he’s just tired and exhausted from it, or whatever. I certainly don’t want to get sick myself, but I want to be able to empathize with a guy when I know he’s sick. Its addictive to think about. I just wish I could have a sick boyfriend. Just once. So I can check his temperature!

Maybe one day. lol

On 04/03/2015 at 7:13 AM, Salamander said:

Ugh YES when people go out of character to do it. Characters whom you wouldn't expect would think or even KNOW how to check for fever showing unexpected competency it my favourite.

YES TO THIS! YES!

I used to write a lot of fever fiction. I'd create these really strong, stoic male characters, and have a weaker male character get sick. The weaker male character would be in denial of his illness. He'd try to hide his illness to prove he's not weak to the other characters. He'd get all embarrassed about being sick and finally he admits to it, and the big strong male character would be so supportive and loving and totally out of character to just gush over his ill companion. That's like...my favorite personal cliché of all time. The denial is what really gets me.

I love it when people exaggerate the severity of a fever too. Like, its something serious and everyone takes it so seriously, which makes the sick character get all this extra attention. I don't know why, but I love that sooooo much.

7 hours ago, RoyalFlush said:

I could rant for days about the different types of ways you can check for a fever. My favorite, by far, is checking for a fever with the palm of someones hand to the forehead. But, I love to add a little sensual, or intimate flair to it. For example, if they check the forehead with their hand and then move down to feel their cheeks, or even to brush along the back of their necks to see if they are warm all over. I also love when a man has bangs, and someone places their hand under the bangs to feel his forehead. *shivers!*

Oh god, yes, all of this! :wub: I honestly can't believe I haven't commented on this thread before, I love it so much! I also write fevers into pretty much all of my stories. They are so essential for me! :lol: To the point where I've often wondered whether fevers are actually the core part of my fetish, rather than sneezing, but I'm really not sure. Anyway, 100% on board with the boys and bangs thing! Like, seriously, 100%! :inlove: And also the checking the forehead first and then moving the hand to the person's cheek! That's amazing! :heart: 

7 hours ago, RoyalFlush said:

Sometimes at home, I’ll check my own temperature just for fun.

I totally feel you on this, too! I'm just kinda fascinated with thermometers in general! I don't normally check my temp when I feel perfectly fine, but if there's a chance that it might be raised a little, I'll probably check just to see. I was/ am sick for these last few days and checked my temperature a lot, just to keep track. And I also like to pay attention to how I'm feeling and then see exactly what my temperature is so that I get a good feel for it, get better at making an accurate guess when I feel feverish but don't have a thermometer with me and also so I can include fever-specific feelings (like, for mild/ moderate/ severe fevers) in my writing. ^_^ 

Seriously, guys. This thread is love. This thread is life.

• 1 year later...

"This thread is love! This thread is life!" I totally agree! I love how a fever makes someone weak and vulnerable. I love how a fever prompts caretaking from surrounding characters. I love everything that comes with a fever: flushed face, shakiness, weakness, confusion, exhaustion, it's all just one delicious package. Reading this thread prompted me to go and rewatch one of my favorite fever episodes. It's called "Fire in the Hole" and it's in the first season of the show Stitchers. You guys will love it!

• 2 months later...

Like Sophie, I can't believe I'm just now noticing this thread!  I definitely have a "thing," not so much for fevers themselves, but for checking for fevers with the back of the hand to the forehead and then, perhaps, the back of the hand to the cheeks.  I have a strong tendency to write fevers/checking for fevers into my fanfics, because I find it sweet, and very useful as a vulnerability/intimacy device.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2017 at 3:13 AM, GG Lewis said:

"This thread is love! This thread is life!" I totally agree! I love how a fever makes someone weak and vulnerable. I love how a fever prompts caretaking from surrounding characters. I love everything that comes with a fever: flushed face, shakiness, weakness, confusion, exhaustion, it's all just one delicious package. Reading this thread prompted me to go and rewatch one of my favorite fever episodes. It's called "Fire in the Hole" and it's in the first season of the show Stitchers. You guys will love it!

I just came back to this thread. The moment I read this, I went to watch that episode immediately.

I got to say, it was lovely. I was freaking out the whole time. (Sooooo many fever checks! I was swooning.)

Would anyone be interested in starting a thread about episodes in shows where people get fevers? 

I still pending so I can't edit posts I've already made....but if I ever become a member, I'd be glad to manage a little side-fetish topic thread that just categorizes fever episodes.

What do you guys think? Anybody interested in that. XD (I hope. Lol) Let me know.

I'm not sure why I never commented on this thread before, but count me in among the fever lovers, AND among those who just turn to goo when people check for fevers. There's just so much stuff there to unpack: the physical symptoms, the helplessness, the physical and emotional closeness...sigh. :blushing:

I don’t have a huge thing for fevers, but I love kissing my boyfriend’s forehead to check for a fever. He refuses to use a thermometer ever, but he gets sick about once a month and almost always gets a little bit of a fever. I love kissing his forehead regardless, but it’s especially cute when he’s all sniffly and tired. Especially when he closes his eyes, then opens them when I pull away and says, “mmm.. do you think I have a fever?”

Whenever my girlfriend starts sniffling, my hand is immediately at her forehead to check for a fever. It's probably not only the most accurate way to check it besides a thermometer, but the second sweetest. My favorite way is when i'm looking after her, and she's all hot and feverish, is when i lean in and plant my lips on her forehead to check.

• 1 year later...

Whoa, also late on this thread! I love fevers. :wub: Just about everything about them.

I think I prefer back-of-the-hand as it's such a fever-specific gesture I think. We rarely use the back of our hand for other things. My favourite thing would probably be continuing to feel the cheeks as well while commenting.

I like the palm too, but perhaps if trying someone's temperature while behind them? It has the added charm of holding someone's head still, kinda. Perhaps then turning the hand over and trying one's own forehead for comparison.

I do love a thermometer - in the mouth is lovely for the reasons mentioned, but I don't think I've ever seen it IRL. In my neck of woods under the arm is the norm.

And the commenting! I like the usual "you're burning up!" and such exclamations, sure. But even better is "I want to take your temperature" or such - It's the wanting to know that's huge for me. Because it makes it all personal for the care-taker and they're not afraid to let the feverish person know that it's personal. They want to know. They're worried. The feverish person "feels too hot for their liking" etc. I feel it's like the most embarrassing, most endearing, intimate and sexy thing - to really care. To really be affected, emotionally, by the wellbeing of another. Perhaps even pissed off a bit, depending on what sort of temperament the character has.

Archived