Sneeze Fetish Forum

40+?

Vetinari

8 minutes ago, AnonyMouse said:

If we really want to keep it simple, make the options "youth" or "adult"... but then the pedos might come flowing in as "youth," and some youth might lie and say they're adults. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect way.

Maybe we could have a dropdown option for this, and then a form fillable option for your actual age.

11 minutes ago, Bondi said:

I thought the old system where you just put your age in worked okay.

I was happy enough with the old system certainly. There may be a reason the staff prefer the new. I don't want to make things inconvenient for them, if it has that effect. I'd just like people to be treated equally, whatever their age.

2 hours ago, AnonyMouse said:

If we really want to keep it simple, make the options "youth" or "adult"... but then the pedos might come flowing in as "youth," and some youth might lie and say they're adults. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect way.

You know, who wants to lie, doesn't need this opportunity to do so. ;)

I would prefer more freedom for everyone

• for those who want to tell their specific age
  • for those who don't want tell their age at all
  • for those who want something in between
1 hour ago, hedgehog said:

I would prefer more freedom for everyone

• for those who want to tell their specific age
  • for those who don't want tell their age at all
  • for those who want something in between

I believe this is exactly what we have now. 1) The option for a specific age per the birthday listing in your profile.  2) The "Not Telling" and option to fill out no birthday for those who don't want to tell their age at all.  3) The age range and the choice not to list a birthday for those in between. 

And @Vetinari I think you may have misinterpreted my explanation (or at least my tone). I was making no shameful judgement of my own nor on behalf of the staff, just trying to explain what had perhaps been some of the rational behind the 40+ 'lumping together' with the knowledge that those who wanted to be very specific could have the choice of listing their birthdate in their profile. I have no shame regarding my age either and I am certain other members over 40 probably do feel the same way as you do, but no one has ever expressed it before. I truly do not think it was done out of a place of ageism or disrespect. At least 1 or 2 members of staff were over 40 when the decision was made to implement those ranges and looking back on staff discussions, I saw no one express a problem with the decision for those ranges. 
I wondered if the reason we did this was because there was a limit to the number of 'fields' in a given profile field but I did some investigating and it does appear that we can break down the ages a bit further if there is demand for it.

Would anyone have an issue with further diving the age ranges down to:

40-50

51-60

61+

If you have opinions on this either way, I'd urge you to share them here.

As for the change to the age ranges, the announcement is still available on the Forum and it sums up a fair bit of the reasoning:

I do like the option of being able to say "20's/30's90's," but the decades bit seems perfectly reasonable. :yes:  Anyone can lie, of course.  Still, the option to not be lumped together after 40 is nice. 

I personally would prefer increments of 5 years to be honest. I also like 20s, 30s, etc. Would it be possible to have both? I understand that it would create a pretty long drop down, but if it's possible, why not? I'm imagining something like this:

Teen (or U18?)
13-15
16-17
18-20
20s
21-25
26-30
30s

Etc.

Edit: U18 range was wrong so I corrected it, but it's kinda wonky. I'm not sure how to deal with that; I know that when I was 16, I wouldn't have wanted to be lumped in 13-17, so I was trying to offer more range. But maybe it's not an issue, and maybe it should just be 13-17 anyway. I just feel like people that age change dramatically over a couple of years.

7 hours ago, Dusty15 said:

And @Vetinari I think you may have misinterpreted my explanation (or at least my tone). I was making no shameful judgement of my own nor on behalf of the staff,

Actually, I didn't assume you or the staff had been deliberately ageist and I wasn't angry, so sorry if it came over that way. I understand the reasoning. It's just unintentionally ageist in one of those ways that is so insidious that nobody thinks to question it. I'm just becoming more aware of those things... same with feminism. Anyone here read/aware of Wifework? :eyebrow: (http://greengabbro.net/2006/07/19/i-read-wifework-so-you-dont-have-to/)

As I said before, if any change is made, I would like it to be fair. So...

13-17 presumably has to be that way for technical reasons. Perhaps if possible, it could even be split more as I mentioned earlier because there are significant changes during that range.

After that... well unless you go back to individual ages, technically I believed it should go up in 5 or 10 (or even 15, if there is a limit to the number of fields) year increments for everyone. However 18-23, 24-28 seems clumsy as people mostly think in multiples of 5 in the decimal system. So perhaps 18-20, 21-25, 26-30 or if you prefer decades or there is a limit to the number of fields, then 21-30, 31-40 etc.

And thanks to everyone who has commented and continues to do so.

Archived