Sneeze Fetish Forum

Expressions you find irrationally irritating!

Joal 555

There is no logical reason as to why it irritates me so much (and apologies to anybody that uses/has used it), but please can we ban the following expression?!

"I love you to the moon and back"

Another bugbear of mine is the line frequently used on a child or teenagers birthday, which is something like......

"I can't believe you're (insert age) already, where have the years gone?"

....to which someone usually replies:

"I know, time goes so quickly these days"

No, Just no. Anyway, I thought it might make an amusing topic to find out what expressions other people find irritating, particularly if it is totally irrational to get annoyed by them. I'm sure I'll be back with more contributions in due course, but I look forward to hearing what others find irritating!

:joal:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joal 555

• Chanel_no5

• Rook

• SleepingPhlox

When the weather is too warm:

"Ooh, it's a bit close, isn't it?"

No, you're too close. I am right next to you, I am aware of how warm it is. 

Or, when it's cold:

"Oh, it's too cold to snow."

Too cold to snow!? Have you seen the Antarctic? Or Russia?? It's about -50 there AND IT'S SNOWING. WE'RE IN THE UK, SANDRA, NOT THE NORTH POLE.

Those are mine :lol: I'll add to it if I think of any more xD

Hmm, the funny thing is that I often use the phrases/expressions and words that annoys me. If I could cut out most of the "basically", "actually", and "really" from my language I would sound smarter, but it's like trying to stop wearing sweat pants. They're too comfortable, and I don't want to. :lol: 

Here are a few that annoy me so much I don't use them:

"Good for you". In my language this sounds sarcastic and dismissive, like "nobody cares if you're happy, so just shut up and go away", so that's how I hear it in English as well.

The use of the word "literally" if it isn't in fact meant to mean "literally".

"I suck at summaries", commonly used to kick off fanfics. If you suck at telling me what your story is about, how good can you be at telling me the story? I've never thought "wow, that summary sucks", unless that's what it says. :lol: 

"YOLO" - not according to my beliefs, no. Also, text speak? Never use text speak in conversation with me. I probably won't understand what you're trying to say.

"Right?" when inserted into every two sentences. It's much worse than "like". Constant use of "like" makes you sound dumb (yes, I'm guilty of this too, as well as "sort of"), but constant use of "right?" makes you sound pushy. Ana in The Young Turks does this and I can't listen to her for that reason alone.

Oh, and maybe the worst of all:

"President Trump". :uhuh:

Aside from some of the ones that have already been said (especially "President Trump"), teenager speech for me is really annoying.

-Swag. No.

-Dab. Just the action alone is annoying enough for the word to be annoying too. Except when used in this way: "and put just a dab of tomato sauce into this dish." That way is fine.

-Selfie. Sometimes okay with the word and the action, sometimes instantly annoyed.

-Fidget spinner. Not really only a teenager thing, I suppose, but still. I don't understand this fad (if you do, no offense, of course), and for some reason I find it annoying.

Non-teenager things:

-Could care less. Only when misused. The correct usage: "Sorry that you have to do this. I know it really bothers you." "I could care less. It's fine." The wrong usage: "I said I was sorry!" "I honestly could care less." That second example should be "I honestly couldn't care less."

Hmm. My biggest one is "no offense, but-" No. NO. NOPE. That's not how you start a sentence. If you start a sentence with "no offense" I'm just going to block out whatever you say after it because it's always something negative and I'll still be offended either way. You can't say something mean and say no offense and expect someone not to be hurt, sad, or offended. 

Maybe this next one is a teenager thing but "hey can you do me a favor" like, no. You're practically forcing me to do something for you even if I don't want to do it. I can't tell people no though. I don't mind helping out, but if someone wants me to do something, they better ask nicely and tell me what they want me to do in the same sentence. That one is probably more of a me thing though. Although I know most people don't want to hear "hey can you do me a favor."

Also when people state a fact and then ask a question after it. But it's weird because it has to be in a certain way, like confusing. Like "You wouldn't mind? Wouldn't you?" I always get confused how to answer those kind of questions. That as a bad example though, but surely someone knows what I'm talking about. I might edit or add a new example to clarify once I find one or think of one.

"Back in the day"

"Chick flick"

Any misuse of the past participle.  An example would be, "She must have went to the library."  (It's supposed to be "gone.")  I feel like screaming when I hear that sort of mistake.

My mom saying "Could you roll me out to the car?" to our waiter/waitress in a joking manner nearly every single time we go out to eat at a restaurant. Just no.Hearing the same thing for years gets tiring.

There is one particular bugbear that I have.  I abhor the phrase "end of" when someone is trying to win an argument.  This could possibly be because usually when I hear/see it it's being used by some turdmonger to try to "win" an argument with a really stupid and offensive position, like "If nurses don't like how much they're being paid, they should get off their backsides and get better jobs!  END OF!" (I genuinely wish I were making that example up, it's paraphrased from stupid online comments I read :( )

I also hate really negative over exaggerations like "Ah, it's shockin' dreadful out there, woeful isn't it?", like calm down man, it's just raining a bit, holy crap!  But, like, I use ridiculously exaggerated positve expressions (Every second thing is the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME!) and I'm pretty sure that's annoying it it's own right so I'm okay with calling a truce here.  :laugh:  It's kinda the same when you say "Hi, how are you?" to someone and they reply with a sigh and "Surviving..." or "Sure, could be worse" and I want to slap those people but I'm equally sure they want to slap me with my "I'M FANTASTIC! HOW ARE YOU?"

A couple that Chanel mentioned:  literally used incorrectly.  So many people try to fight the good fight and keep this word used correctly but it doesn't seem to work and I don't know why?  What did that poor word ever do to anyone to be abused so?  And I agree with "I suck at summaries", if I don't know if I'm going to be interested in a fic, I'm not going to read it, and if you can't take a moment to bother to tell me what it's about, why should I spend the time trying to ascertain if I'll be interested, but I can understand if people use it to mean "I suck at brevity" because...I suffer from that issue! :lol:

Awwww... @Joal 555 your first one is from the children's book that I LOVED to read to my kidlets. :cry: 

I can't stand "selfie"

S**w (the actual word and the actual event of cold icky white stuff falling from sky; unless in a story)

""All the feels"....  UGH!!!!  I am so thankful that is on the way out.

"jelly" in place of jealous

"Smh" - I don't completely hate it, I just think it looks weird.

"Manic-depressive"  - just bothers me.  I think bipolar sounds better

"'Z' *is* (insert illness here)" vs. Z *has* (insert illness here)

"Literally" used the wrong way

Not knowing the difference between there, their, and they're; or loose and lose; or two, to, and too.  Just as examples.  Things that *should* be easy for people with a basic knowledge of the English language (if you have a learning disability or are not proficient in the language - that doesn't bother me)

9 hours ago, SleepingPhlox said:

It's kinda the same when you say "Hi, how are you?" to someone and they reply with a sigh and "Surviving..." or "Sure, could be worse" and I want to slap those people but I'm equally sure they want to slap me with my "I'M FANTASTIC! HOW ARE YOU?"

Excessive negativity annoys me, and I don't hate on people who are having an absolutely fabulous day, but I do get annoyed by the whole asking people how they are doing **as you are walking past** them.  And/or asking when you don't care or don't want to know.  It just seems stupid to me.  I figure if you ask, be prepared for whatever.  That being said, I always say "fine" regardless, unless close friend.

My irrational phrase hatred has to go for "head up", as in "Vivian will head up the Newspeak Troglodyte's Department."

Where did that stupid little "up" come from? When I was young, nobody used that phrase. It would have been "Vivian will head the Traditional Sensible Person's Department. Now everybody uses it and nobody else seems to have noticed.

In fact a good many business-speak phrases should probably be on my list, only I don't hear most of them any more as I don't work in that kind of industry now.

And since incorrect spellings have come up, can I add incorrect use of breath and breathe to the list of things that really annoy me. One is a noun, one is a verb. Learn which is which and use them appropriately.

*breathes out and relaxes*

Ohh dear, business speak has been mentioned.  Funnily I'm okay with new phrases creeping into language, I am fascinated with slang and how it evolves...business speak can go die.   I think it's just the people who use it tend to get on my nerves but...I hate it.

But does getting annoyed at blatant misuse of words count?  Because is so I would like to nominate "revert".  Not as found in its normal habitat, but the one that's been stolen from its home and forced to live an unnatural life in emails.  "It's will look into this and revert back to you." No!  No you won't! Your previous state was not me so you cannot revert back to me!  Stop that!  It's wrong!  Why is this gaining so much traction?  Is "revert" the new "literally"? 

1 hour ago, SleepingPhlox said:

Funnily I'm okay with new phrases creeping into language

I am too with genuinely new things. It's the bastardisation and misuse of older ones that frustrate! 

"You're chill". I can't stand that phrase in the slightest! Like? I'm not cold..not last time I checked anyways? When did this become a phrase? Just say "You're okay" or "It's alright" like the rest of us. 

Saying "It got to me" (instead of "It moved me" or "It touched me").  I don't know why I hate that one; I just do.

"Take care" (used in place of "goodbye") is another one I irrationally dislike.

Edited by Luisa39

I hate the expression "girl crush" with a burning passion. I don't understand why a distinction needs to be made between a "crush" and a female having a crush on another female?? It sounds really invalidating to me, like it's not allowed to be an actual "crush".

I'm also not a fan of people referring to the internet as "tinternet". Just call it the internet? :lol: I understand if you're northern and saying "t'internet". But southerners, why?

I agree with "girl crush" one hundred percent, I wish I could erase that phrase from existence!

I also can't stand the phrase "give me a second." We both know that whatever you're doing, it's going to take longer than a second and it's just one of those things that I irrationally hate.

3 minutes ago, MaiMai said:

I hate the expression "girl crush" with a burning passion. I don't understand why a distinction needs to be made between a "crush" and a female having a crush on another female?? It sounds really invalidating to me, like it's not allowed to be an actual "crush".

I always thought this was a distinction made between having an actual crush (romantic attraction/infatuation) and the kind of "idolising" someone without being romantically attracted? I use it with that distinction, and I'm a lesbian. Um. Sorry. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Chanel_no5 said:

I always thought this was a distinction made between having an actual crush (romantic attraction/infatuation) and the kind of "idolising" someone without being romantically attracted? I use it with that distinction, and I'm a lesbian. Um. Sorry. :lol: 

Ahh, no, I can understand where there's that meaning being used. Sorry, I should have been clearer; I got carried away with my anger about it lol. Where I have an issue with it is where it's used to replace the term "crush" entirely, if that makes sense. For example, I'm a member of a k-pop fan forum and I've been informed multiple times that my crush on a member of a girl group is not a "crush" but a "girl crush", like I'm not allowed to have an actual crush on a girl. I didn't mean to accidentally attack you or anything, Chanel! :lol:

9 minutes ago, MaiMai said:

Ahh, no, I can understand where there's that meaning being used. Sorry, I should have been clearer; I got carried away with my anger about it lol. Where I have an issue with it is where it's used to replace the term "crush" entirely, if that makes sense. For example, I'm a member of a k-pop fan forum and I've been informed multiple times that my crush on a member of a girl group is not a "crush" but a "girl crush", like I'm not allowed to have an actual crush on a girl. I didn't mean to accidentally attack you or anything, Chanel! :lol:

Oh, don't worry, I didn't take it as an attack, I was just confused. :) Yeah, THAT would be annoying. To me there's a huge difference between a "girl crush" (or "guy crush") and a "crush". I can see how straight people miss the point, though, if "crush" to them is only something directed at the opposite sex. Ah, anyway, carry on. :lol: 

ETA: It was actually a straight friend who made the distinction first, I said "Oh I have such a crush on..." whoever it was at that time*, and she said "Do you mean crush crush, or girl crush?" :yay: 

ETA 2: It was Scully.

Edited by Chanel_no5

It always bothers me when (typically straight adults) use the term "girlfriends" to describe their close friends who happen to be women. I'm personally demisexual and I don't appreciate it when the term "girlfriend" is thrown around if I'm not in a relationship with someone of the same sex. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with another one that I've noticed quite a lot recently. When asked a question (any question), some people begin their response with......

"Yeah, no, (insert rest of answer)"

Make your mind up people, either say yes or no, but not both!

:joal:

On 7/1/2017 at 6:41 PM, Cutekats said:

Hmm. My biggest one is "no offense, but-" No. NO. NOPE. That's not how you start a sentence. If you start a sentence with "no offense" I'm just going to block out whatever you say after it because it's always something negative and I'll still be offended either way. You can't say something mean and say no offense and expect someone not to be hurt, sad, or offended. 

Maybe this next one is a teenager thing but "hey can you do me a favor" like, no. You're practically forcing me to do something for you even if I don't want to do it. I can't tell people no though. I don't mind helping out, but if someone wants me to do something, they better ask nicely and tell me what they want me to do in the same sentence. That one is probably more of a me thing though. Although I know most people don't want to hear "hey can you do me a favor."

Also when people state a fact and then ask a question after it. But it's weird because it has to be in a certain way, like confusing. Like "You wouldn't mind? Wouldn't you?" I always get confused how to answer those kind of questions. That as a bad example though, but surely someone knows what I'm talking about. I might edit or add a new example to clarify once I find one or think of one.

I second all of this. If you hadn't written it already, I definitely would have. 

I'd need to add this one too-

"I get/understand what you're saying, but…"

Honestly. If you 'get it', there is nothing more to say. Zip. Nada. None. If you need to say anything after that, it better be that I'm right, or just a simple 'okay'.

Edited by MysteryGirl

People who use buzzwords to try and be cool like "laters" for "I'll see you later on".....and "soz" for "sorry".

But the one that is really irritating is "I know, right". Where did that come from?