Sneeze Fetish Forum

Expressions you find irrationally irritating!

Joal 555

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Joal 555

• Rook

• Kaze Wo Hiku

Again, this is pretty irrational on my part, but the expression.......

"we really smashed it"

....when used to mean "we did really well" (as frequently used by contestants on The Apprentice, but no doubt by others too) really irritates me :glare:

:trollface:

• 6 months later...

One of my guilty pleasures is watching "The Apprentice" on the BBC, but some phrases have been SO overused in this show that now certain expressions from there tick me off whenever I hear them.

"Business acumen" for example. Also "I'll hold my hands up" and "I've always put myself forward". It's like using those catch-phrases is a requirement to even get on the show in the first place :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Can I just throw in one of the most nonsensical expressions ever, usually used by people who have just been proven wrong about something :glare:

"That's the exception that proves the rule"

Really? You think that actually makes sense? :glare:

:joal:

• 2 months later...

One expression that I really can’t stand is when people say “I don’t know what to tell you,” because it sounds so condescending and doesn’t make the situation any better. Like, if you don’t know what to tell me, maybe just stay quiet?

And then there’s “No offense but,” “I really shouldn’t say this but,” and “I don’t want to be rude but”.... all of these are basically saying that the person knows that what they are about to say is mean/inappropriate, but they’re going to say it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to someone as a strange bird. I'm not alone in thinking it sounds really weird, right? It's not auditorily pleasing, and I have some pretty messed up ears, so that's really saying something. 

Umm... I find it pretty downright annoying when people say there's a "method to their madness". Just cause it's been a lie every time. 

ANYWAY. I know this was a thread for idioms we hate, but I would really like to go ahead and mention some that I love. Feel free to skip my comment and/or shout me out of here:

Cool as a cucumber? Hilarious, there are so many c sounds. Got a bone to pick? I am prepared. Cold feet? Every day. Wolf in sheep's clothing? All of my exes. (Not you, J!) Break a leg? Thank you. That's the way the cookie crumbles? Girl, that's the way goddamn cookie crumbles. Barking up the wrong tree? Never. Beat around the bush? Always. God forbid? God FORBID. 

2 hours ago, Kicker said:

That's the way the cookie crumbles?

Is... is this an expression? Used by English speakers?  For real? :cryhappy:  I think I'm in love. 

On 10/30/2018 at 4:56 AM, Chanel_no5 said:

Is... is this an expression? Used by English speakers?  For real? :cryhappy:  I think I'm in love. 

yeah! it means like "well, that's just how it goes isn't it." 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:38 AM, spooky scary sQueletons 🎃 said:

yeah! it means like "well, that's just how it goes isn't it." 

12 hours ago, Kicker said:

And that's

Hide contents

How the Cookie Crumbles. 

:lol: Ah, I see! Thanks for clarification, and inspiration to bake cookies. :twisted: 

• 2 years later...
On 7/1/2017 at 1:41 PM, Joal 555 said:

There is no logical reason as to why it irritates me so much (and apologies to anybody that uses/has used it), but please can we ban the following expression?!

"I love you to the moon and back"

As if this wasn't enough, some people now extend the phrase to......

"I love you to the moon and back.....and back again"

....as if to the moon and back wasn't far enough :glare:

1 hour ago, Joal 555 said:

"I love you to the moon and back.....and back again"

....as if to the moon and back wasn't far enough :glare:

Wait, so they love someone so much they'd go to the moon and stay there? Uhh, okay. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is probably a bit contradictory because of the fetish. But “under the weather”. Perhaps it’s because I have a hard time understanding idioms I’m general, but what’s the weather got to do with being sick. What’s wrong with simply saying “I’m not feeling well” or something remotely similar? 

Supposedly it comes from British maritime vocabulary, either because a sailor who was seasick was sent below deck and so literally was "under the weather", or because the seasickness usually occurred under the influence of bad weather. :lol:  Not sure if it's actually true, though, idioms are hard to trace back to original source, or how it came to mean all kinds of illnesses, but yeah. Languages are fun. :yay: 

• 3 weeks later...