Sneeze Fetish Forum

Are Actors Taught to "Sneeze" as a Matter of Course?

Luisa39

I stopped studying acting in college, but Aliena's thread prompted a question in my mind:  Is acting out a sneeze something those training to be professional actors are generally taught to do?  I can remember, in one class, doing an exercise that involved "acted sneezing" (oh, the horror!), but I don't remember being taught it, as in "This is something you might have to do at some point in your career, so let's learn how to do it now."  Or are you taught to "sneeze" only if you happen to be doing, say, a monologue with sneezes in it?  Those of you who have studied acting a lot, what has your experience been with this?

Oh GOD I hope so!! :lol: The images I have in my head now... :dribble: 

Never took an acting class in my entire life (though I wanted to, but always been too shy), so I have absolutely no idea if this is the case. 

Having done acting nearly all my life and taken a number of courses and workshops over the years...no.  Never come across it.  Sorry. :laugh:

Most of the training has focused on how to use what you know to create a reality for the character.  If you had to mechanically break down how to do each and every action you'd be at it forever!!!  Also it would be like learning how to sit down.  We all know how to do it so specifically trying to train to learn how to do it would be adding another layer of thought and complication when we're usually all trying to get away from over thinking and complication! :D

Now just so I'm not pooping all over the parade I will add this: actors learn to observe themselves, how they do things, exactly what their body and face does when they genuinely feel something so they can use all that later.  So that means all your faves have probably at one time and probably more than once paid very close attention to how they sneeze, what it feels like, what the tiniest muscles in their face do and in what order, and what it sounds like.  They'd probably be able to describe their own sneeze more thoroughly than one of us.  And actors that have had to sneeze for a role have likely put a lot of thought into how their characters personality would affect how they do it.  So there is food for thought anyway. :)

35 minutes ago, SleepingPhlox said:

Now just so I'm not pooping all over the parade I will add this: actors learn to observe themselves, how they do things, exactly what their body and face does when they genuinely feel something so they can use all that later.  So that means all your faves have probably at one time and probably more than once paid very close attention to how they sneeze, what it feels like, what the tiniest muscles in their face do and in what order, and what it sounds like.  They'd probably be able to describe their own sneeze more thoroughly than one of us.

First I was disappointed. Then this part ^ came along and I, um, well... :blushing::sweatdrop: ... am not disappointed anymore. :whistle: 

1 hour ago, Chanel_no5 said:

First I was disappointed. Then this part ^ came along and I, um, well... :blushing::sweatdrop: ... am not disappointed anymore. :whistle: 

My reaction exactly!  Thanks, SleepingPhlox!

On 11/15/2017 at 9:29 AM, SleepingPhlox said:

Now just so I'm not pooping all over the parade I will add this: actors learn to observe themselves, how they do things, exactly what their body and face does when they genuinely feel something so they can use all that later.  So that means all your faves have probably at one time and probably more than once paid very close attention to how they sneeze, what it feels like, what the tiniest muscles in their face do and in what order, and what it sounds like.  They'd probably be able to describe their own sneeze more thoroughly than one of us.  And actors that have had to sneeze for a role have likely put a lot of thought into how their characters personality would affect how they do it.  So there is food for thought anyway. :)

Like @Luisa39 I've not done any acting since college (a quarter century ago! :eek: ) But I remember in a high summer program a friend having to practicing sneezing for a scene and I can attest that he did a lot of this. Plus, asking the rest of us for feedback. God help me, if that experience didn't teach me I had issues. :lol: 

Archived