Sneeze Fetish Forum

Awesome TV Shows For Binging?

Chanel_no5

Soooo I'm back to haunt my little thread with some more recommendations. 👻

This is the scariest thing I've seen, because it actually happened. No stupid mutant monsters or anything like that, but a horror that actually happened. I mean, I knew plenty about the Chernobyl disaster, I read everything I could about it when I was in my teens, but watching this was actually the first time it really, REALLY sank in how insanely close it was that most of Europe became an uninhabitable zone. I actually read the transcripts a while ago from a Swedish parliament discussion about the final storage of spent fuel from our nuclear reactors. It was almost ridiculous, we're not supposed to play with things that require decisions on how to store the waste safely for a hundred thousand years. 100 000 years. Let's say future archaeologists are going to dig up some stuff that come with real curses. This show manages to capture the arrogance of those in power during the Chernobyl disaster, the fear of those who experienced it, everything is just... God, it's a crazy world where these things can happen. (Should go without saying, but the show comes with a big fat V-warning for radiation sickness.)

And on a somewhat more light-hearted note, this... is my current favourite thing in the world. :wub:  (if Westworld wanted me to remain loyal and say that about them, they should've kept certain characters around. :rolleyes: ) Political drama, which is not as boring as it sounds, and Birgitte is a kickass female role model (and has the prettiest nose in the history of ever.) So, she's the minority party leader who through a political fluke becomes Denmark's first female Prime Minister. And she has to learn fast how to use this power and play the political game, and also has to balance her private life with this. I don't know if it's available on ANY streaming site, I got it on DVD, but the show is so worth it. It's intelligent but not overly complicated, it's not pretentious. It's just... good stuff. And the acting is incredible.

Edited by Chanel_no5
  • 4 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Reader

• Esstrosa

• SleepingPhlox

Some of these might be listed already, but...

• Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's a classic, it's got tons of interesting things to think about, and it's oddly comforting to me.  
  • Grace and Frankie.  Really, I can't say enough great things about this show.  It explores a lot of really fraught things in nuanced ways, which can be rare.
  • One Day at a Time.  I can't say enough great things about this show.  It's cheesy af, but really powerful and moving.
  • Madam Secretary.  I'm only on Season 4 right now, but I've enjoyed the intrigue and a lot of the interesting "background" themes that come up.
  • Outlander.  I'm most of the way through the book series, so I had to watch the TV series.  I'm disappointed by some of the changes (of course), but overall it's really interesting to me.
  • The Fosters.  Mostly this is from a representation standpoint, as I got to see a lot of identities I hold being given some serious consideration, but it can get a bit jump-the-shark-y.
  • Queer Eye.  I usually hate reality TV, and there are some manipulative moments imho, but overall, I really like the cast and the relationships they build.
  • Parks and Recreation.  When I first tried to watch this, I gave up.  But I came back to it several years later and really enjoyed it.

And speaking of relaxing, gentle shows, I love Big Dreams, Small Spaces as something that just makes me feel restored.

18 minutes ago, Empathic Mystery said:

Some of these might be listed already, but...

• Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's a classic, it's got tons of interesting things to think about, and it's oddly comforting to me.  
  • Grace and Frankie.  Really, I can't say enough great things about this show.  It explores a lot of really fraught things in nuanced ways, which can be rare.
  • One Day at a Time.  I can't say enough great things about this show.  It's cheesy af, but really powerful and moving.
  • Madam Secretary.  I'm only on Season 4 right now, but I've enjoyed the intrigue and a lot of the interesting "background" themes that come up.
  • Outlander.  I'm most of the way through the book series, so I had to watch the TV series.  I'm disappointed by some of the changes (of course), but overall it's really interesting to me.
  • The Fosters.  Mostly this is from a representation standpoint, as I got to see a lot of identities I hold being given some serious consideration, but it can get a bit jump-the-shark-y.
  • Queer Eye.  I usually hate reality TV, and there are some manipulative moments imho, but overall, I really like the cast and the relationships they build.
  • Parks and Recreation.  When I first tried to watch this, I gave up.  But I came back to it several years later and really enjoyed it.

And speaking of relaxing, gentle shows, I love Big Dreams, Small Spaces as something that just makes me feel restored.

I forgot about Star Trek the next generation I agree that show is really calming also I forgot the boys on Amazon prime 

i was just sneakin in here to reccomend the new Queer Eye on netflix myself, i've been watching it whenever i can and it's so healing.

UNDERGROUND FINISHED SERIES (WHICH SUCKS ) I RECOMEND WATCHING

KYLE XY ABC

NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING ABC 

FOREVER WITH IAN GIFFORD ALSO ON ABC

MERLIN MERLIN FOR THE LOVE OF CAMELOT MERLIN FROM BBC AND ITS ON NETFLIX

I really liked the Daredevil Netflix show, though you're supposed to watch the Defenders miniseries after finishing the second season and THEN watch the third season, so that's kind of weird. 

I've been meaning to watch Stranger Things for a while. Maybe I'll get around to it soon. We'll see. :)

I’m not going to take the time to explain all of them, but my current favorites are:

Wynonna Earp, The Good Place, and Workin’ Moms, but I’m also in the process of watching The Society. Also The Office is always a good option to binge. All of these are on Netflix. 

Been watching PBS's 'Poldark' the last few days. It's pretty darn good, especially if you like historical shows. 

This is everything I've binged lately

Good Omens - I don't think I need to explain this one :lol:

Fleabag - insanely good, plus Andrew Scott and Olivia Coleman are in it.  If you watch it you'll see why it won the Emmy for Best Comedy

Carnival Row - visually it's amazing. Storywise it's okay, it lacks a bit but at only 8 epis it's worth binging

The Boys - this is a fucking ride, omg.

Criminal UK - Netflix only had 3 epis, I've no idea of there is more but David Tennant is in epi 1 and Haley Atwell is in epi 2 so yeah, I watched it XD

• 3 weeks later...

A few more shows I have been watching lately on Netflix:

Dead to Me 

Insatiable 

Schitt’s Creek

These are the one's I've been binging the most out of lately! All three are so addicting! 

Fear the Walking Dead

Poldark

Queen Victoria

Things I have watched lately that I liked...

Van Helsing (Syfy channel, or on Netflix)

Slasher 

American Horror Story

Super Girl

Riverdale

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power...so good.  Don't judge.

Things I have watched lately that I liked...

Van Helsing (Syfy channel, or on Netflix)

Slasher 

American Horror Story

Super Girl

Riverdale

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power...so good.  Don't judge.

• 1 month later...

So, season 2 of Castle Rock is excellent for binging. Way faster pace than the first season, and certain loose thread from the first season is tied together, or at least picked up again in places. Also impressive to use an iconic King villain as the season's protagonist. It could have gone all kinds of wrong but it works SO well. And the acting. Oh my God the acting. :notworthy:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else watched Legion (on Hulu?) I’ve only gotten through the first season but it was obsession-worthy. Warning, though, it does deal with mental health issues and may be triggering for some. 

The Expanse (on Amazon Prime) is absolutely incredible. If you loved Mass Effect, you absolutely need to devour this. There's 4 seasons so far and I'm nearly caught up, and I believe season 5 is coming out this winter. It's really, insanely cool sci-fi with great writing and even better characters. It's got everything - unknown alien technology, a lost civilization, a neat space language, crazy future politics, a noir detective played by Thomas Jane, and Shohreh Aghdashloo saying fuck words.

Also I binged Downton Abbey (also on Amazon Prime) last fall and loved every second. Some of the topics get really heavy (dying in childbirth, abortion, PTSD, war) and I definitely sobbed my way through my fair share of scenes. The costumes and settings are also just totally mouthwatering. And Dame Maggie Smith is there being a catty bitch, so what's not to love.

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 5:29 AM, Yuurei said:

I recently binged Russian Doll on Netflix. It's only 8 episodes and stars Natasha Lyonne. It's super good and very entertaining (and moving).

Yes! Only show I've actually binge-watched, being a series fan but usually not being able to do the binge-watching thing.

Unorthodox is another popular, more up-to-date mini series to watch. 

Ozark! Friend got me into it - it's similar to Breaking Bad in premise but has a wider cast of characters (and rotates them out often, as they often kill off characters suddenly and without fanfare). 

Just now, Glatissant said:

Ozark! Friend got me into it - it's similar to Breaking Bad in premise but has a wider cast of characters (and rotates them out often, as they often kill off characters suddenly and without fanfare). 

^Meant to add that it's on Netflix

• 3 weeks later...

So many to name:

@doggo Goddless was much fun to watch.  Wholly agree at times to much talking, but it was just an entertaining show start to finish.  I feel like this show came and went with not much fanfare but is totally underrated.

Also, can you premise Babylon Berlin?  I’ve had two separate people recommend it, but neither have been able to describe what the plot is haha.  Hoping you can shed some light :)

@SleepingPhlox I had a love/hate relationship with You.  I agree that it KNOWS how to keep you hooked for the next episode, but i felt a lot of it was me watching going...”come on”...and then still continuing because I HAD to know what happened.  Haha.  

@Reader did you like Altered Carbon Season 2?  I think I liked Season 1 better overall, but thought the ending to Season 2 was much more captivating

Adding a few other recs below I haven’t seen listed up here:

The Stranger (Netflix) - Keeps you going and hard to figure out the ending...always love those kinds of shows

Defending Jacob (Apple TV) - Only a few episodes in but definitely has Chris Evans in top form.

The Expanse (Prime) - This is one of my favorite book series that was adapted to TV.  Great cast and a pretty unique look at a future in which Earth, Mars, and the Outer Planets have been colonized.  Definitely will get you out of the day2day.

Perhaps not technically a TV show but binged Anohana (an anime) and well, it left me rightfully in tears. 10/10.