Sneeze Fetish Forum

Phantom Thread

Travel

I love this movie, it's one of my favorites from recent years. It's about a control-obsessed British fashion designer in the 1950s who falls in love with a girl that threatens to send his whole life into disarray. Without giving away too much, I'll say that there's some major stuff in the movie that at least some folks in this forum will find interesting, especially those who like to see "caretaking" in movies. If you've seen this movie and want to discuss this aspect of it, feel free to talk about it! Just give a spoiler warning, please. But even if that's not your cup of tea and just love movies, it's well-worth checking out. It's a very entertaining, beautifully made and extremely well-acted drama although I'm close to calling it a dramedy. 

Here's the trailer: 

18 minutes ago, Reader said:

I haven’t seen the movie, but my favorite song on its soundtrack is Barbara Rose.

The score is gorgeous. Long live Jonny Greenwood! I missed both this and Inherent Vice (which I also love) in theaters, and hadn't listen to any music from either until I bought them on Blu-Ray. Both times, hearing the music on the Blus, these were my ears: 🤤

Hahahahahaha my ears do the same thing 😄

I love soundtracks! I’ll check out the soundtrack for Inherent Vice tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation 

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

Hahahahahaha my ears do the same thing 😄

I love soundtracks! I’ll check out the soundtrack for Inherent Vice tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation 

You're welcome! 

I love movies, so I listen to a lot of scores and soundtrack. I dunno if there's a soundtrack thread already, but if there isn't, we should start it. 😂

@Travel, I would have loved to do that! Not only asking people to list their favorite soundtracks, but also to include their favorite song in the soundtrack as a link that I could simply click on. But I searched and found this. 

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

@Travel, I would have loved to do that! Not only asking people to list their favorite soundtracks, but also to include their favorite song in the soundtrack as a link that I could simply click on. But I searched and found this. 

That thread looks cool, I'll post on it later since it's late here. I like your idea! Maybe you could veer the conversation in that way if you want. 

@Travel It just makes sense if there’s a little sample to see if you’ll like it 😊 I listened to the soundtrack. It was overall really pretty! My favorites though were riveting!! I kept imagining the main character entering some seedy bar with this suspenseful music in the background. Lol. Although I know it pairs well with the movie, I didn’t care for the couple songs where the girl was just talking. Does Greenwood have any other works you would recommend?

7 hours ago, Reader said:

@Travel It just makes sense if there’s a little sample to see if you’ll like it 😊 I listened to the soundtrack. It was overall really pretty! My favorites though were riveting!! I kept imagining the main character entering some seedy bar with this suspenseful music in the background. Lol. Although I know it pairs well with the movie, I didn’t care for the couple songs where the girl was just talking. Does Greenwood have any other works you would recommend?

Yeah, that just about captures the essence of the movie and the book it was based on. I really wish they had included those pieces without Joanna Newsom's narration, though. Another great Greenwood score is "The Master", which is also a rather great Paul Thomas Anderson movie but I enjoy "Phantom Thread" and "The Master" more. His score for "Norwegian Wood" is also beautiful, in particular this piece which I think captures the sadness from the book a billion times better than the film did: 

@Travel Have you ever listened to the movie soundtrack while reading the original book? Like if you watched the movie and then decided to read the book. 

Ok cool, so I’ll check out The Master next! 

If you’ve read 1Q84, let me know if you would recommend it. I have it, but I haven’t read it. 

1 minute ago, Reader said:

@Travel Have you ever listened to the movie soundtrack while reading the original book? Like if you watched the movie and then decided to read the book. 

Ok cool, so I’ll check out The Master next! 

If you’ve read 1Q84, let me know if you would recommend it. I have it, but I haven’t read it. 

Yeah! I actually did that with Inherent Vice. They really do fit perfectly. I actually read the book first, though. 

I've not read 1Q84 yet, but I've read "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle", "After Dark", "The Elephant Vanishes", "After the Quake", "Underground" and "The Strange Library." If you get to "1Q84" I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

I saw The Phantom Thread in the theater last year and was just thinking about it the other day, in fact.  Excellent drama and score (I have the soundtrack).

2 hours ago, Luisa39 said:

I saw The Phantom Thread in the theater last year and was just thinking about it the other day, in fact.  Excellent drama and score (I have the soundtrack).

What did you think of it fetish-wise? I think people who are into caretaking could have a field day with it. Maybe. 😂

Archived