Sneeze Fetish Forum

Tv and V-ing

Reader

I watched an excellent series called, “Black Earth Rising.” BUT there were so many V scenes. (5/6)

The drama is about the Rwandan genocide so I will say the reasons for the V are realistic.

I’m an emotophobic, but either the show was that good or the shock of it happening took some of the edge off. 

I’m still happy I watched all of it, but I fervently wish I could have skipped those parts. 

Thankfully, I have quick reflexes so I mostly took one sense (sight or sound) out of the equation. 

So, there’s a warning for that show to my fellow emetophobics.

If anyone watches a new show and wants to drop a line about a V scene/episode to avoid, that’d be awesome. 

I heard the first ep of Santa Clarita Diet is just full of it. 

I don’t know why all of a sudden it’s become popular to literally point the camera at someone doing that.

I'm not an emetophobic but yeah, there comes a point where it's a bit too much. It just feels like a cheap way of conveying that a character is shocked, sick or drunk. I just finished watching the last season of "The Americans" and two episodes feature V scenes because there's a subplot about a terminally ill woman (I can't remember her condition.) They advanced the plot and seemed purposeful so they worked in that context at least. There's also a V-scene in one of the episodes of "Sex Education." I won't deny that it was funny, but yeah, also a little bit too much for me. 

P.S. Reader, I was just remembering our talk about Phantom Thread. There's something of a V-scene in it, but it's not graphic at all, you barely even hear anything and I'd say it's not gratuitous whatsoever. 

17 minutes ago, Travel said:

It just feels like a cheap way of conveying that a character is shocked, sick or drunk. 

YES.

It used to just be a hand over the mouth and a quick escape out the door. 

That didn’t bother me. 

Now they enhance the visual and increase the sound to such realistic levels. Ugh 

I just get tense with any disturbing, drunk, sick, or pregnancy scenes because I know IT is going to follow. Like it’s comedy. 

Oh thanks for telling me 😊 That doesn’t sound too bad. It’s part of the caretaking scene in the movie you were talking about? 

I’m just hoping one day I’ll become completely unbothered by IT. 

V-sight alert in Altered Carbon towards the last couple episodes. 

1 hour ago, Reader said:

YES.

It used to just be a hand over the mouth and a quick escape out the door. 

That didn’t bother me. 

Now they enhance the visual and increase the sound to such realistic levels. Ugh 

I just get tense with any disturbing, drunk, sick, or pregnancy scenes because I know IT is going to follow. Like it’s comedy. 

Oh thanks for telling me 😊 That doesn’t sound too bad. It’s part of the caretaking scene in the movie you were talking about? 

I’m just hoping one day I’ll become completely unbothered by IT. 

V-sight alert in Altered Carbon towards the last couple episodes. 

Again without spoiling too much, caretaking is not limited to one scene in Phantom Thread but it's a crucial element of the story. I'd say it's even the story. But yeah, I think that scene is very tolerable, I think that if you watch it it won't bother you. 

Recently watched Upgrade, which is a good movie (except for the ending) and it has V-ing scene. It comes right after the first fight. When you see the main character approach the sink, you know it's time to look away. 

@Travel Oh I want to see that movie!! Thanks for the warning 😄😵

I don’t like bad endings though. Just makes the whole movie feel like a waste.

Still worth watching? 

1 hour ago, Reader said:

@Travel Oh I want to see that movie!! Thanks for the warning 😄😵

I don’t like bad endings though. Just makes the whole movie feel like a waste.

Still worth watching? 

Sure, it's a fun movie and although it feels a bit derivative it does take something of a fresh approach to its plot that makes it enjoyable. 

14 hours ago, Reader said:

Ok, I’ll trust your judgment. Thank you, @Travel😊 

You're welcome! I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Spoiler for film

Spoiler

@Travel It was a pretty good movie. Strengths first. The main character had a great personality and humor that he carried throughout the entire film. The fight scenes were amazing! This movie contained the best visual representation of humanoid fighting I've ever seen. I love when new ideas are introduced in films because it allows fresh takes on scenes. Like when his medicine was being administered. 😭 STEM was just phenomenal. I actually noticed when STEM didn't get permission on the roof. It was the goriest defeat in that movie as well. They did pretty well with sleight of hand. I thought Eron was evil and I thought the robot was taking over. Acting was well done for the most part.

Weaknesses: Because it seemed predictable to me, the movie didn't gain all that back because the script was flipped in the last ten minutes. They aren't as skillful as Inception now. BUT I liked the twist in how STEM wanted to evolve into a human as opposed to ruling over humans. I laughed a bit at the scene where the main character guy was moving after surgery. With Eron there as well, it looked like Frankenstein's monster discovering life. 😆 

The ending: I liked it. If it had ended with him coming back and taking control to save the officer's life before taking his own to save the world, that would have been an overused plot. Have you thought of another ending? On the negative side for the ending, the explanation didn't tie together neatly. I was left with some questions.

What'd you think of the film? And thanks for the V-warning. I muted that part and turned my head. Whew! 

PS: THAT SNEEZE! Someone should write a fic about that!

13 hours ago, Reader said:

Spoiler for film

Reveal hidden contents

@Travel It was a pretty good movie. Strengths first. The main character had a great personality and humor that he carried throughout the entire film. The fight scenes were amazing! This movie contained the best visual representation of humanoid fighting I've ever seen. I love when new ideas are introduced in films because it allows fresh takes on scenes. Like when his medicine was being administered. 😭 STEM was just phenomenal. I actually noticed when STEM didn't get permission on the roof. It was the goriest defeat in that movie as well. They did pretty well with sleight of hand. I thought Eron was evil and I thought the robot was taking over. Acting was well done for the most part.

Weaknesses: Because it seemed predictable to me, the movie didn't gain all that back because the script was flipped in the last ten minutes. They aren't as skillful as Inception now. BUT I liked the twist in how STEM wanted to evolve into a human as opposed to ruling over humans. I laughed a bit at the scene where the main character guy was moving after surgery. With Eron there as well, it looked like Frankenstein's monster discovering life. 😆 

The ending: I liked it. If it had ended with him coming back and taking control to save the officer's life before taking his own to save the world, that would have been an overused plot. Have you thought of another ending? On the negative side for the ending, the explanation didn't tie together neatly. I was left with some questions.

What'd you think of the film? And thanks for the V-warning. I muted that part and turned my head. Whew! 

PS: THAT SNEEZE! Someone should write a fic about that!

Spoiler

Spoiler for Upgrade

I thought it was an entertaining film, which for me, is the most important thing. I cared about the lead character. I found the world of it fascinating. It's basically ours except that things that are minor right now (Like self-driving cars) are the norm and things we have right now like drones are more thoroughly used for surveillance. I agree that the action was terrific and I enjoyed the grit of it, which added to the feeling of realism. I loved the humor of it as well. That said, I thought some of the dialogue was too clunky for its own good and the story felt a bit too similar to the likes of Robocop, Ex-Machina and other revenge films. 

I did love the twist with STEM but I think the movie could have ended with Grey letting his mind be taken by STEM, while also keeping control of his body or sacrificing his new body too. I just think that would have been good irony and not feel like such a cliffhanger. I don't mind those kinds of endings but I feel that they have to justify something in the character in order to work and I didn't see it here. 

And you're welcome! What's the sneezing scene you're talking about? I think I know which one you mean because I remember at one point thinking "The people in the forum would love this!" but I can't recall over what haha. 

4 hours ago, Travel said:

not feel like such a cliffhanger

I filled the blanks in and it wasn’t pretty for anyone but Grey.

The sneeze itself wasn’t noteworthy, but that “puff of air” that traveled into his nose was pretty cool. 

I don’t have access to the spoiler tag right now so hopefully that’s enough of a hint. 😊

1 hour ago, Reader said:

I filled the blanks in and it wasn’t pretty for anyone but Grey.

The sneeze itself wasn’t noteworthy, but that “puff of air” that traveled into his nose was pretty cool. 

I don’t have access to the spoiler tag right now so hopefully that’s enough of a hint. 😊

Oh, I think I know what you mean. :D

• 1 month later...

I watched Overlord yesterday, which is quite a fun movie but there's a V-ing scene early on when the plane arrives in Germany and they're getting attacked. You know it's coming because you can see how nauseated the character looks. When the plane is rocking like crazy and there are explosions all around, you might want to look away. The whole movie is pretty gory, though. 

Thanks, Travel! You’re so sweet 😄

My sister wants me to watch Umbrella Academy  so she told me there’s a V-scene with Number 5 in episode 4 at 40:19. 

You don’t see it, but you hear it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Please continue this topic if you guys have anymore. I’m a severe emetophobic, and it really makes me happy to see you guys giving warnings (and without saying the actual word, thank you). There have been times in which I’ve watched shows or movies with my family and then a V scene comes on and I cover my ears, cry, and run out of the room, shaking until my brother comes in later when it’s done and tries to comfort me. But then I don’t want to watch the rest because I’m scared there’s more. That’s partly why I don’t watch much TV or movies anymore. But the warnings are really great to me. 

No problem, I love Alan Rickman! 

I recently saw The Favourite which is a fantastic movie but all three leading ladies get their own v scenes; the Queen Vs in a scene where she's eating a lot. You don't see anything, but you do hear it and the context makes it a little gross. Rachel Weisz V-s past halfway through the film; you see her V-ing as she's riding on a horse and then later when she's in bed, the latter being far more graphic. Emma Stone V-s toward the end of the film, but I don't remember it being particularly graphic. 

The HBO mini-series Sharp Objects has some pretty graphic and nasty ones in the end of the third episode, and toward the end of the last two episodes. They are especially disturbing because of the context so they're essential to the plot. Only the Brave (Great movie, by the way)  has one with Miles Teller early on when he's training but it's not graphic at all from what I can remember. Blockers has a pretty graphic mass V-ing one during the car chase. Most of it looks super fake, though. 

Archived