Sneeze Fetish Forum

Writer’s block

Wilde

If I know anything from having been on the forum for a few years now, it’s that we have many amazing extremely talented writers here, so I figured this might be the place to ask. 

How do you get over your writers block? 

I’ve been blessed with a long stretch of free time lately, and I so badly want to write something, but I just... It’s not happening. When I write for academic, work or fetish purposes, I can usually break through the writers block because I have exactly that, a purpose, but writing purely as a pastime seems to eliminate that factor. 

So therefore I ask you, how do you get over the writers block? How do you get inspired? How do you get a clear(-ish) idea of what you want to write about? How do you avoid detesting every word you put on paper? If anything, it seems fun to just talk creative writing as well, and I’m so curious about how people approach it, especially beginning a piece of writing. 

i recently answered a similar question here, and these tips all still apply! 

additionally, when starting a new piece, i sometimes find it helpful to hype myself up on the page before i start writing my first draft. like for example "YEAH HERE WE GO, GONNA WRITE ABOUT [COOL STUFF] AND IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME HERE WE GO" or something like that before launching into the beginning of the scene. it gets the blankness off the page and gives me confidence, and then when the scene is written i remove it. :3

edit to add: as far as getting inspired for what to write about, if you don't have an idea already it can help to just do a stream of consciousness writing exercise where you just put down every thought that comes into your head for 10 minutes, no stopping. or, a guided version of that where you start with literally "once upon a time there was" and then force yourself to keep going for 10 minutes no stopping no pauses.

it's rarely all useable, but it very often yeilds a little nugget of inspiration or an idea that you can then build on

Thanks for the tips Q! I’ll make sure to check the other thread as well; I forgot to see if there was a similar topic already, oops 😅

2 minutes ago, Sooph said:

Thanks for the tips Q! I’ll make sure to check the other thread as well; I forgot to see if there was a similar topic already, oops 😅

you're welcome! no worries, you had some unique questions from the other thread anyway :3

2 hours ago, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

edit to add: as far as getting inspired for what to write about, if you don't have an idea already it can help to just do a stream of consciousness writing exercise where you just put down every thought that comes into your head for 10 minutes, no stopping. or, a guided version of that where you start with literally "once upon a time there was" and then force yourself to keep going for 10 minutes no stopping no pauses.

it's rarely all useable, but it very often yeilds a little nugget of inspiration or an idea that you can then build on

Okay I don’t wanna say much but this stuff works. I picked a song I like that’s about 4 minutes long, put it on repeat and told myself I had to keep typing until it’d repeated three times. By the end of that I had about 500 words and a rough idea of what my protagonist is like. :D

1 hour ago, Sooph said:

Okay I don’t wanna say much but this stuff works. I picked a song I like that’s about 4 minutes long, put it on repeat and told myself I had to keep typing until it’d repeated three times. By the end of that I had about 500 words and a rough idea of what my protagonist is like. :D

yayy!!!! i'm happy it helped you! :D

Archived