Sneeze Fetish Forum

Gay Pride crossword clues

Heathcliff

I love cryptic crosswords and I started thinking of gay pride related clues while I was cleaning, and I couldn't stop. Here's some if you want to try.

If you don't know- the number is the number of letters in the answer. Part of each clue is a definition of the answer. the other part is wordplay that tells you the answer. Clues work in different ways (though I use anagrams a lot).

Please note, the way a clue reads as a sentence is not meant to be taken seriously- it's a trick to hide the true word that is the answer.

If you get some of them, please post your answers! (They do not go in order of difficulty.) Or even post clues of your own, I'd love that. :)

Edit:

On Reader's advice, I've posted the answers to the clues which have been solved. You can highlight them to see them.

------------

1) One of LGBTQ- odd and unusual? (5)

Answer: QUEER- old word for odd

2) Iconic gay star shone like quicksilver (7)

Answer: MERCURY- the lead singer of Queen. Quicksilver is an old word for mercury.

3) Red-breasted bird boy, he sings about how he's glad to be gay (8)

Answer: ROBINSON- ROBIN + SON, red breasted bird = ROBIN, boy = SON. Tom Robinson recorded the single Glad to be Gay.

4) A rock-like barrier is an important site in New York (9)

Answer: STONEWALL = STONE + WALL

5) A singer who is against bullying gay kids is mad (4)

Answer: GAGA ("gaga" means mad, Lady Gaga spoke out against bullying of gay teenagers).

6) A refugee registry they quoth? Rip it up. That's like a gay guy giving advice to someone straight. (5,3,3,3,8,3)

Answer: Anagram of QUEER EYE FOR FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY

7) Agar imagery, mixed, is one of the most important gains in recent years (3,8)

Answer: Anagram: GAY MARRIAGE

😎 I need a prominent lesbian presenter because "Go Ski TV" is all messed up!

Answer: Anagram: TOKSVIG

9) Artificial intelligence- note well, inside an argument it's a beautiful, colourful thing (7)

Answer: This is the hard one.
Artificial intelligence = AI
"Note well" = NB (a Latin abbreviation- "nota bene")
An argument is a ROW.
Put AI NB inside ROW
You get RAINBOW.

10) A big masculine gay man is a powerful furry beast (4)

Answer: BEAR (gay slang)

11) A Padre, confused- a gay pride procession? (6)

Answer: Anagram of "A Padre" = PARADE

12) Twice interested, not quite sure yet what your sexuality is (9)

Answer: BICURIOUS.

13) A bad book- worried! This monster is a gay icon for no reason at all that I can understand! (8)

Answer: BABADOOK (anagram of "a bad book")

14) The hangman rotor got muddled- we got a prominent gay TV host (6,6)

Answer: Anagram of "hangman rotor" is GRAHAM NORTON.

15) All gay people are your friend, but it's what's inside that is important: do rot, Hyde! (7)

Answer: In the last three words, there is a hidden word: DOROTHY. A joke on a gay person being "a friend of Dorothy".

16) Honey, honey, how you thrill me with your mixed-up A-B-A-B musical pattern! (4)

Answer: A really bad clue but I thought it was funny- anagram of ABAB is ABBA.

17 ) With decree and elegance we will make an early 2000s sitcom with a gay lead character (4,3,5)

Answer: WILL AND GRACE

18) I scrambled PPI cash on things relating to lesbianism (7)

Answer: Anagram- SAPPHIC.

19) Happy Rab backed into a homosexual drinking establishment (3,3)

Answer: Happy = gay
Rab backed = word backwards = bar
GAY BAR

20) Disney's famous African Rock- this is what all LGBTQ people should have (5)

Answer: PRIDE (Pride Rock in the Lion King)

If anyone is actually interested in the future (which is unlikely) I'll post the answers

I’m going to answer the easy ones! (Now that I said that, I really hope I’m right!)

2) Mercury

10) Bear

11) Parade

Oh my god I'm so embarassed! Yes it is 6 letters. Thank you.

And you are correct on 2 and 10, and sounds like you got 11 :D

9 minutes ago, Reader said:

I’m going to answer the easy ones! (Now that I said that, I really hope I’m right!)

2) Mercury

10) Bear

11) Parade

16 is a really badly written clue but an easy one. Think of a band that gay people are known to like. 😉

6 minutes ago, Reader said:

Oh!!!!!!! ABBA! Hahahahahahaha I love Take a Chance on Me! 

Thanks honey honey ;)

I’m more of a one-song-per-artist type of person, but I just listened to Honey Honey and it sounds really nice!

13) Babadook

I only figured it out because it was an anagram so I just found the most reasonable word. Then I typed it in to see what it was. Scary!

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

I’m more of a one-song-per-artist type of person, but I just listened to Honey Honey and it sounds really nice!

13) Babadook

I only figured it out because it was an anagram so I just found the most reasonable word. Then I typed it in to see what it was. Scary!

Juno told me in the past that the Babadook was an ulikely gay icon, and it's the silliest thing. :)

17) Will and Grace

I just looked up a quick article and the story is kind of hilarious. And the memes are even funnier! 

@Heathcliff Do you think you should go back to the original post and somehow mark the ones already answered? 

11 minutes ago, Reader said:

17) Will and Grace

I just looked up a quick article and the story is kind of hilarious. And the memes are even funnier! 

@Heathcliff Do you think you should go back to the original post and somehow mark the ones already answered? 

Give me a moment

Answers are posted to the clues you solved.

But you have to highlight them to see the spoilers. :)

Archived