Sneeze Fetish Forum

Samurai movie suggestions?

Heathcliff

A couple of video games I've played lately (Sekiro mainly, also Samurai Shodown) have made me interested in Samurai, and the whole popular history of feudal Japan.

Does anyone have some favourite Samurai movies- or anything similar like general Japanese or Chinese swordsman movies? I'd be interested in seeing them.

P.S. I've seen: Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and Zatoichi (2003)

Pretty much any of Kurosawa's Samurai movies, in particular Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Yojimbo. Superb movies, which still hold up well today, and have provided the template for numerous Westerns since. The Hidden Fortress, which is also interesting as it was a huge inspiration for the original Star Wars movie, the set-up being nearly identical. 

The Twilight Samurai is another great movie, combining poise and stillness with flashes of violence which are all the more effective for being used sparingly.

On the flip side, I also greatly enjoyed The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise. Based loosely on true events, it certainly captures the look and feeling of the end of the Samurai era, and Ken Watanabe as Samurai leader Katsumoto is terrific.

Thank you for the tip- I decided, in the spirit of being drunk and buying stuff off Amazon, to buy Seven Samurai. We shall see...

Cheers mate.

I actually took a Japanese film course and the professor LOVED Kurosawa of course. My favorites are these: 

• Throne of Blood, 1957
  • The Hidden Fortress, 1958
  • Yojimbo, 1961 (this is my all-time favorite)
  • Sanjuro, 1962
  • Harakiri, 1962 (this is my second favorite!)
  • 13 Assassins, 2010 (this one is OK — you can tell it's marketed as an action film, probably for male adolescents, but some people love it!)

Not Samurai movies, but since you mentioned "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers", I'd like to recommend two of the best movies I've seen about Chinese martial arts. One is Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", and the other one is "Fearless", starring Jet Li.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:01 PM, Esstrosa said:

This isn't a movie but ghost of tsushima for ps4 looks great

Looks interesting :)

Archived