Sneeze Fetish Forum

Commenting on old story threads

Snapdragon

I know necro'ing old threads is a bit of a forum faux pas in general, but am curious to know if there's any difference when it comes to old stories on here?

I personally don't mind it when someone posts a comment on an old story or artwork of mine. Even if I now feel like the quality's not as good as my current stuff, it's still nice to know someone appreciated a thing I made. (Though I haven't been around as long as some folks on here - if a work of mine was like ~10 years old or more, I'm not sure I'd feel the same!)

Thoughts?

I like when people comment on old stories because then I sometimes find gems that got lost after years of inactivity, and I get to read and enjoy them. 

I think it depends on the comment itself. For example, saying you enjoyed a fic and asking if the writer will continue (after yeaaaars) are different things. Still, sometimes it’s nice to see your old stuff appreciated. ^_^ Even if it makes you cringe! :P 

I agree with @sickprincess. I also don't see a problem with reviving certain really old posts instead of making a brand new one (like the Sneeze Association Game or Limerick threads in the General Discussion board; no reason to have two of those around when one is perfectly servicable). I think the reason it's generally frowned upon is twofold;

1. Some people, in an attempt to get validated quicker (or perhaps out of overenthusiasm) will suddenly resurrect a ton of older threads with short, relatively generic comments like "This is great!". This isn't too bad, just a bit annoying when you realize the latest poster for the last 20+ posts is the same person. But as @sickprincess said, at least it re-introduces people to things that might have been buried over time.

2. Sometimes the topic wasn't worth bumping up. Either it's someone asking for a continuation or making a request long after the writer/artist has left (like @Spoo said), or it's reviving a heated topic that very few people actually want to rediscuss.

Like I said, though, I'm on board with it as long as the person making the comment doesn't overdo it all at once and checks first to see if the original writer/artist is still active.

I would be thrilled if my (one) story was enjoyed by someone and commented on all these years later.

However, I can see how it might/would be annoying for others if their recent material is pushed down the list by multiple old threads being "revived".

I think it's a case of using your judgement and not spamming, but I don't really see any harm if occasionally a very old story is commented on, especially (or perhaps only) if the original poster is still active.

:joal:

Personally, I'm really not a fan of this. It might just be me, but I like it when the stories are (more or less) in chronological order, so that new stories appear first. That way, it's easier to stay updated and notice new stuff, rather than seeing old stuff over and over again.

10 hours ago, Wig_Powder said:

Some people, in an attempt to get validated quicker (or perhaps out of overenthusiasm) will suddenly resurrect a ton of older threads with short, relatively generic comments like "This is great!".

Also, there's that. I really don't like that. What annoys me most is people asking for continuations of old stories, especially if the O.P. is marked as banned. I mean- you know it can't happen, so why bother?

That was me blowing off some steam. Have a nice day :)

I feel like it has to do with the intent behind it, as others have mentioned.  It's sad to think that someone could genuinely enjoy a story, but feel like they can't write a comment thanking the author for it or saying what they liked about it, because it might mess up the chronological-ness of the board, or make someone feel self-conscious because their writing has improved, or whatever.  I know reading this has now made me much less likely to comment on an older story, because I didn't know there was a kind of vibe around necro'ing things.  I mean, I obviously get if it's contentious or if someone is trying to get validated or harass someone for more content... but maybe if people feel strongly about it, things should be archived with no replies after a certain amount of time.

I'm 100 % with Likesn on this. 

I feel like if someone really wants to thank someone for writing something that's way in the past, there's always the Kudos subforum for that, or PM if you're validated. You could argue that "but I only do it once with this specific story", yes, fine, but if everybody does it "just once" it happens all the time. I personally think it's really annoying to see necro bumps, unless the author themselves have decided to continue an old story. That's a different thing. I realise I'm in the minority, but that's my personal opinion. ^_^ 

ETA: And I feel SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE if people bump ancient stories I've written. Basically, a year, two tops. If it's older than that I'm cringing like hell. I love to know if people like my writing, but if the story is older than a couple of years I don't want to see it back on the first page, it's like reading my old journals. Cringe. :bag: 

I really like to see old stories bumped. Chances are I missed them when they were posted originally, and I'll be delighted to find a gem this way. Or to see an old favourite of mine bumped, I like to see that too. And as a writer, I'm really happy to see if someone still reads my old stuff, as it's likely that I put quite a bit of work into it.

So yeah I'm pro-bump! If sometimes I see a ton of old threads bumped by an individual, I just scroll past them. They'll get buried soon anyway.

oh wow, this is a bit of a contentious subject! I can see how people commenting on stories just to increase their comment count is pretty annoying, and obviously asking for updates on old unfinished stories is just plain rude by pretty much any standards. What I was thinking was more "is it okay to comment on an old story to tell the poster what you liked about the story", and since the consensus on that seems pretty mixed I probably wouldn't attempt it.

6 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

What I was thinking was more "is it okay to comment on an old story to tell the poster what you liked about the story", and since the consensus on that seems pretty mixed I probably wouldn't attempt it.

As you say, there are mixed views on this, but I just got a comment on my (one) story from 4 years ago and I was delighted!

Other than avoiding spamming loads of old stories in a vain attempt to get validated, there are no hard and fast rules on this (as far as I am aware), so I think it's up to each member to do whatever they are comfortable with (and for all of us to be as tolerant as possible, if we don't agree with what said member does).

:joal:

I agree with Joal! Spamming is bad, but resurrecting an old thread isn’t necessarily spamming. Compliments are always well received (I hope?) and also, if there’s a story which you really like but which you found buried in the depths of the forum, resurrecting it (once!) with a comment can bring it to the attention of people who wouldn’t have found it otherwise.

1 hour ago, gryffin said:

if there’s a story which you really like but which you found buried in the depths of the forum, resurrecting it (once!) with a comment can bring it to the attention of people who wouldn’t have found it otherwise.

Agreed :D I have found some amazing stories this way that were posted long before my time on the forum or that I missed somehow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, as someone who has written stories for this forum in the past, seeing an old story bumped because someone really enjoyed it makes me happy. The only problem with it is when someone asks for more, when the person who wrote it is no longer active or it has been several years. But even then, that is only slightly annoying, because it still means they really enjoyed the story. If the powers that be wanted old stories to not have new comments, they the stories can be locked, I believe. Otherwise, I feel you should be able to comment freely. 😋

**popping up from lurkerdom**

Having not posted a story in AGES, it makes me feel 😁😁❤ if someone comments on one of my stories (even ftom a decade or more ago).  In some cases I have even gotten re-inspired to pick up something I dropped for 3 to 5 years. :shy:

Obvious "spamming" is really annoying, but honestly I have ZERO issue with some stories (mine or others) being "resurrected"

My 2 cents

*back into the shadows :ninja: )

Archived