Sneeze Fetish Forum

amazon rainforest crisis

•.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.•

y'all i’m actlly feeling very powerless and alarmed about the amazon rainforest

idk if everyone here has been following what’s going on but to sum up:

indigenous brazillians won a legal battle prohibiting Big Oil from drilling in the amazon. so, in response, Big Oil bribed the corrupt president of brazil to repeal some rainforest conservation regulations and encourage brazilian farmers to raze the rainforest and seed it with grass, under the guise of giving farmers more economical conditions and land to graze their cattle on. which he’s done. and they’re burning it down quickly.

i’m guessing there are no legal restrictions on drilling farmland. no farmers seem to have put this together yet, but basically they’re being used.

so, the rainforest is burning. this sucks, and also if it gets beyond a certain point, will have devastating effects on the entire planet’s ecosystem.

this video explains it better than i can, but basically: in addition to being rained on a lot, the rainforest actually produces a vast amount of rain, for the entire planet, including much of the rain that i myself see here in the united states. on top of that, it filters out a massive amount of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and produces literally 20% of the oxygen on earth.

not only that, but the rainforest is naturally resistant to wildfires because it produces and recieves so much moisture, but if the amount of rainforest is decreased (read: razed) significantly enough, it will no longer be able to produce that much moisture, and the rest of it will basically become tinder very quickly.

with the rainforest gone, and even with the rainforest just compromised, we can expect a drastic change in climate, including a devastating and irreversible spike in global temperatures, widespread droughts, and a general increase in wildfires worldwide.

it sucks, literally ppl have no idea it's happening. a few days ago i asked my mom: u know the rainforest is burning right? She had no clue. at all. because all she watches is fox news. it's so upsetting, and i couldn't even go into it further without going into the pit. thank you for summarizing it for those who havent heard yet.

7 minutes ago, Cecilia said:

it sucks, literally ppl have no idea it's happening. a few days ago i asked my mom: u know the rainforest is burning right? She had no clue. at all. because all she watches is fox news. it's so upsetting, and i couldn't even go into it further without going into the pit. thank you for summarizing it for those who havent heard yet.

yeah, a lot of people get their news from sources where even the "world news" only covers their local country and maybe a smattering of european affairs if you're lucky, it's very unfortunate and these people think that if they haven't seen it on their specific news programming that it straight up isn't happening.

i think it's at least partially a generational thing, information is only relatively recently available in huge and nearly unlimited quantities online, so people who never had that before have a hard time using that to stay informed as well as a hard time weeding out the news from misinformation and source checking. 

but yeah the world is ending 😅 i just rlly wanted to talk about it with people

I believe the world as we knew it absolutely is ending. We're in the endgame now and I don't think there will be any turning back. And unfortunately our tech hasn't advanced to the point that we could leave the planet in any sort of way that matters in regards to keeping humans alive.

Humans will die off, maybe not in our lifetime, but definitely within a few generations. Bees will finally go extinct and our food supplies will dry up. The air will become difficult to breathe. There will be war and sickness and genocides. And then we'll be gone. Animals will reclaim the world. The earth will hopefully heal. Maybe octopi will be the next hyperintelligent species to make it big, who knows.

And then, eventually, the sun will expand and the earth will be engulfed in its cosmic fire and none of it will have mattered lol

1 hour ago, murphy dee said:

Maybe octopi will be the next hyperintelligent species to make it big, who knows.

honestly? my bet's on this being true. not to threadjack my own damn thread but octopodes are fucking incredible.

1 hour ago, murphy dee said:

And then, eventually, the sun will expand and the earth will be engulfed in its cosmic fire and none of it will have mattered lol

also true!! tbh this whole situation has severely increased my optimistic nihilism levels but like a thousandty percent. nothing matters! the planet's burning down! be kind to each other! eat cake! take walks outside while the air is still breathable! tell someone u love them! 

The short sightedness of humans (especially those with the wealth and power to make major and detrimental changes to our planet) makes me wanna launch myself into space. I've been thinking about this nonstop since I learned of the news. It's so incredibly fucked that a handful of greedy assholes can literally destroy our planet, a planet and species that have been around for ages, and the majority of us have no power to stop it.

🧚‍♀️  So, the Hope Fairy has arrived and wishes to inform you that other countries are very concerned about this and have put immediate sanctions on Brazilian export goods until they do something about this. So Brazil's president has actually been forced to send out military to start putting those fires out. G7 immediately put in about 20 million dollars to help put them out, which was declined by the president. And then, just today, he opened up to possibly accept it anyway. I'm pretty sure that at some point, if Brazil doesn't get this under control SOON, other countries are going to take matters into their own hands one way or another. There are plenty of other countries that actually realise that they have a vested interest in breathable air. Several European countries have also been in contact with African countries to pre-prepare to help in case African rainforests "catch fire". Oh, and several African countries are in the process of planting A LOT of new trees. Ethiopia set new tree-planting world record just this month. More than 353 million tree seedlings planted in one single day.

The Amazon fires are going to have consequences, absolutely. I'm not saying anything is going to go back to the way it was. But there are people with power who are fighting this, too, us lowly citizens aren't alone. The world as we knew it has been dying for a long time, because we have forgotten how to live WITH the planet. We have to relearn that. Definitely take walks, be kind to each other, and eat cake. But don't give up and think that humanity doesn't have a few more tricks up its collective sleeve, because I very much think it does. We just need to be pushed to the brink to realise that we don't want to go there. That's, unfortunately, in human nature. But we've fixed things before, too. The ozone hole is almost completely healed by now. Remember that was basically going to kill all of us within a few generations, back in the early 90s? We fixed that.

We can do something about this too. Not reverse it, but we can find ways around it. The planet is changing and that's a fact, we are for most part responsible (but not all of it; around every 13 000 years the climate does change naturally*, according to geopaleontologists, as if it's part of a natural cycle, but we sped it up considerably this time), but we can learn to handle the changes. I'm 100% sure of that. Is it gonna take work? Yes. Is it worth it? It will be. 

It's absolutely right to be alarmed, and to do what's possible, demand action where action can be taken, but don't despair yet. Please? :heart: 

* kinda makes you wonder if that's why the Mayans kept those insanely long calenders, doesn't it? To keep track of things like this? 

www.ecosia.org

A search engine run by a carbon neutral company that donates a decent percentage of their profits to planting trees worldwide.   They earn money the same way Google does, with sponsored results in the search - so well worth a switch over from the ol' Google!

thank you @Chanel_no5 and @SleepingPhlox !!!

i'll be using ecosia now for sure. hell yea trees.

9 hours ago, Chanel_no5 said:

The planet is changing and that's a fact, we are for most part responsible (but not all of it; around every 13 000 years the climate does change naturally*, according to geopaleontologists, as if it's part of a natural cycle, but we sped it up considerably this time

well, this but also in addition to speeding it up, we've also pushed it farther in the heating up direction than it tends to go naturally

i hope you're right tho. maybe we can plant enough trees over time to offset this disaster before the effects get too bad. 

Archived