Sneeze Fetish Forum

Laptop recommendations

Reader

I’ve been using my chromebook, but it’s not quite enough for what I need. Within the next few months to a year, I’d like to get something with high speed, lots of storage, long-lasting, etc. So I just wondered if anyone had suggestions of different kinds of laptops I could consider. I want your experience with what you’ve bought and loved, even what to stay away from. I’ll use this computer for work, so I’d like it to be very reliable. Possibly travel-size, but it’s not a must. I don’t have a price range because I can work toward however much it costs since I won’t actually need it for awhile. Thanks in advance! 

Just giving my personal experience with laptops, and maybe it's my fault, but I'd stay away from HP, especially any that have input by touching. Mine ended up suddenly developing a motherboard/hardware issue after about 2-3 years where the 5, 6, and minus keys from both keypads didn't register, and also random seizure-like ghost clicking.  Every time windows would do an update I'd have to go back into the device panel and completely disable the trackpad and touchscreen (kinda defeating the purpose of the laptop) since they both seemed to cause the random clicking. All of these devices were given the generic name of Human Input Device or something, and there were like 20. So I had to go and disable/enable one by one until the touchscreen and then trackpad didn't pick up my finger. Also, the very first time it freaked out clicking was during a timed exam in class. That was fun. I had to use a gaming mouse with the 5 and 6 keys as input in order to log in to my school account. And this was not one of their cheaper laptops. But I should mention this was one that originally came with windows 7 and was given the free upgrade to 10, so maybe that was part of the issue. But yeah, not eager to buy HP again since when I'd google those issues it seemed to be a common problem.

From my experience, Dell has a lot of issues. Mine always had storage problems and the charging port kept breaking so I couldn't charge it. HP has some really solid laptops. Acer laptops are good as well but the hinges are a sensetive spot for breaking.

I had a HP for years when I was younger and apart from old age it didn’t give me any trouble. 

My current laptop is a MacBook Air, which I’ve been using for just over 4 years. It’s starting to get a bit old and a bit slow but it still works fine for what I need it for (lots of writing, streaming, work stuff, nothing heavy like games or lots of downloading, but I use it a lot). If you’re really after speed that might become an issue after the three year mark with a MacBook, though models like the Pro are probably better built to withstand the test of time in that regard. 

I know a lot of my friends have benefitted from having their laptop or computer built from spare parts, as it’s generally cheaper and easier to tweak, but most of them know someone who’s tech savvy, or are handy with that stuff themselves. That might be an option too. 

My first laptop was an ASUS and I absolutely loved it! That thing was SOLID. When I was in college some girl accidentally knocked it off the table and sent it crashing to the floor. Not only did it not break but it didn't even turn off so I didn't lose any of my notes! It had pretty good storage capabilities too.

My current laptop is an HP and it's a bit less reliable as it's already having issues with shutting off when shifted or the power cord is touched but it has good storage. But if I had to recommend between the two I'd definitely pick the ASUS hands down.

my experiences so far:

hp: start having annoying yet googleable problems early on, last for like a decade

acer: real sturdy, sometimes have rainbow backlit keyboards, come recommended by almost all the tech guys i've ever known, but tend to be large and a bit clunky

macbooks: literally disconnect from the internet every time they are picked up or moved, nearly impossible to find tech support for online

dell: you might as well build your own out of cardboard

Hello Reader,

I have an ASUS too and agree completely with everything SneezyHolmes said: it's solid, reliable, and has a very long battery life (which is important for me). I wouldn't recommand the model I have, since it's an old one and it doesn't have a very important storage capacity, but I'd recommand ASUS without any hesitation, since I have mine since 2014 and never had a single problem with it.

Archived