Sneeze Fetish Forum

Website down for some months?

itchynose2

Hi all,

Apologies, mods, if this is the wrong section for such a thread, please move it if necessary. I thought I'd bring this to the attention of the forum - especially the technical guys - as there seems to have been little fanfare over it on things like YouTube videos or even in the threads on this site now that I'm able to access it again.

Something a bit puzzling here. For the past couple of months (since September/October time), I hadn't been able to access the forum. I had commented on a YouTube video about this and got a tiny smattering of responses confirming other users were having issues but nothing else. Also, I had visited one of those "is this website down"-type websites and another forum user - using a Facebook commenting section linking to that website - confirmed they were also having problems accessing this forum. This person's FB profile confirmed they were in the US. I am in the UK, so I knew it wasn't anything relating to my location.

I had tried through my PC, connecting through my wifi (my ISP is British Telecom) and also through my mobile on its 4G mobile broadband, which is through another provider unrelated to BT. No lemons on there. I tried waiting a few days and completely clearing out the browsing history, cache and other stored webpage data in both my PC's and mobile phone's web browsers. Again, no luck. Because it was the same on two separate devices through two different broadband networks, I didn't bother checking the firewall settings on my phone and PC as that would have been too big a coincidence.

I tried doing a "ping" in Windows command prompt - this gave the feedback "request timed out" (pretty similar to what Chrome would tell me). SO I also used command prompt to do a trace route "tracert" - this could only get a response from so many servers - about 8 hops - before it would fail. The message it would come back with was something along the lines of recognising that the website server was still up but not getting a coherent response from it.

As it wasn't working after a while, I began to think that the website had been taken down for some reason, but I was surprised at the lack of questioning/outrage from fellow fetishists on new YouTube videos. Imagine my surprise then when I get access to the forum again this evening and find that there has been no fanfare for the forum's return. No celebrations, no apologies, no massive banner welcoming the return, no thread (prior to mine) questioning the time off. Nothing. Business as usual.

So, is anyone running the forum aware of any issues?

:)

It actually did get discussed heavily, explained by our ever-amazing owner HOL, and celebrated wildly, just not in the places one might expect (the majority of the discussion wound up in the Off-Topic section, just because that happened to be how it played out). 

You may have noticed (or not; it’s a small change) that the url for the Forum switched from being a .org to a .com. That’s because the Forum DID go down, I believe for approximately one month (from the beginning of November to nearly the end of it), and HOL had to bust his butt to figure out what happened and how to get us back up. 

HOL’s full explanation is here:

All of that said, you might want to check your Forum email settings: every member of the Forum was sent a “we’re back!” email explaining what happened and how to access the “new” version of the Forum (namely, switch .org to .com). So if you didn’t get that, you may need to update what email address the Forum has on file for you.

Edited by MyOwnPrivateSFC
6 hours ago, itchynose2 said:

no apologies,

No one donates so the owner pays the couple hundred each month for the upkeep of the forum because he wants to see the community continue and he wants there to be a place for us. No apology needs to be given. 

10 hours ago, Reader said:

No one donates so the owner pays the couple hundred each month for the upkeep of the forum because he wants to see the community continue and he wants there to be a place for us.

I think you may be right that donations have pretty much dried up in more recent times (if the home page is anything to go by), but I believe it is still possible to do so, as I and many others have done in the past.

Perhaps there will be a revival in donations given how much the forum was missed when it was down, especially if the possibility of donating is given some more publicity.

:joal:

4 hours ago, Joal 555 said:

I think you may be right that donations have pretty much dried up in more recent times (if the home page is anything to go by), but I believe it is still possible to do so, as I and many others have done in the past.

Perhaps there will be a revival in donations given how much the forum was missed when it was down, especially if the possibility of donating is given some more publicity.

:joal:

I know that I will certainly donate whatever little extra I have :)

Thanks, guys, initially I also thought (but elected not to mention this in my OP) it was still something affecting all users and that it might have been caused by the California wildfires happening around the same time (like the power to the server hosting the site had gone down or the server itself had been damaged by fire to the point where it had power but couldn't do much else). This isn't as mad as it first seems - I know a lot of IT multinationals are based in the area (so logically website-hosting servers would probably be there) and the website went down around the same time that the BBC and ITN over here began covering the Cali wildfires with more depth and detail.

Edited by itchynose2
On 12/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, itchynose2 said:

Imagine my surprise then when I get access to the forum again this evening and find that there has been no fanfare for the forum's return. No celebrations, no apologies, no massive banner welcoming the return, no thread (prior to mine) questioning the time off. Nothing. Business as usual.

Nonsense. There's three threads. Check them out. You haven't done your research properly, and it shows.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, March Hare said:

Nonsense. There's three threads. Check them out. You haven't done your research properly, and it shows.

Thanks, but having spent the best part of 10 minutes in various sub-forums and not seeing anything, I did get puzzled. Even "MyOwnprivateSFC" said it was discussed "just not in the places one might expect (the majority of the discussion wound up in the Off-Topic section, just because that happened to be how it played out)". I spent those 10 minutes checking in the places one might expect.

And why the attitude? You're obviously in a bad mood (and it shows!) so please don't speak to me like that.

Edited by itchynose2
13 hours ago, MeForever said:

Don't want to be rude but literally found these at first glance in off topic.

See my replies above...