Sneeze Fetish Forum

Only a Goalie - Secret Santa for Tarotgal

aggedy_ann

(late) Secret Santa for @tarotgal.   I haven’t written much in a really long time, so apologies if it’s rough around the edges.  Also apologies for the lame team names.

Hope you enjoy

Aggedy/Brigid(mn)

Only a Goalie can Take Care of a Goalie

Cal poured the tomato sauce into the crockpot as he heard coughing coming from the spare bedroom.   Stirring it up, he set it to cook while they were gone, then sat back with a glass of juice before going in to disturb the younger man.   

They’d have to get ready to head down to the rink soon, but he wanted to give Carter a chance to rest.   The young goalie had had a long day yesterday, posting a shutout with the Blades before being called up to the big leagues, even if it was only temporarily.    Carl’s tandem, Ben, was out with a tweaked knee, and Carter had been a late call up, when it was obvious the other goalie wasn’t going to be able to play today.  

He’d offered Carter his spare bedroom; they’d played together in the minors and knew each other well; as he felt the kid might feel more comfortable there than in a sterile hotel setting.    Carter had arrived late last night and they’d spent some time getting reacquainted.

Carter was just as Cal remembered him.  Spunky, tenacious, but not without his quirks.   Of course, it’d be a rarity to find a quirkless goalie.   They’d stayed up later than either anticipated, talking about their time in the minors and Cal providing a full scouting report of the shooters they’d face today.   It wasn’t anticipated Carter would see the net, but after Ben’s freak knee twist, he wanted the younger man prepared.

What struck him most the night before was the young man’s sneezing.   He’d heard him sneeze but a handful of times the two had been together in the minors, but last night, Carter certainly had had a tickle to deal with.    After the fourth set of sneezes, Cal was having second thoughts about having him stay, questioning if Stella and Josie, the cats were getting to him.   Carter rebuffed this, swearing up and down, he wasn’t allergic to cats, he’d lived with them his whole life until being drafted.  Cal had offered him Benadryl, just in case, but the younger man shook his head.  “‘S just sneezing. I don’t know why I’m sneezing, but I’m fine, really.”

He’d sent him to bed after the tenth set.   He could hear Carter coughing in his sleep now, intermixed with congested snores.    Despite wanting the younger man to get some rest, he knew he had to get him up…3 hours to pregame practice and meetings before the Orcas arrived in town.    He knocked on the guest room door and heard a congested “come on in, Cal.”  

Carter was pulling his tshirt on.   He looked tired, but tried to look cheerful when he saw Carl’s face.   “Morning.” He sniffled, rubbing his nose on his forearm. 

Cal took stock of the pile of used tissues next to the bed and Carter’s red nose, bloodshot eyes, and tired countenance.   “Not allergic to cats, my ass.”

Carter prepared to respond, then halted, bringing his tshirt up over the lower half of his face.   Ayyihhtshoo, ihhtshoo, hayyihhchoo.  It’s not the cats.”  He protested, taking the tissue box Cal handed his direction.

“Bless you.  It’s something in here, then.   I didn’t hear you sneeze this much in a year down in Portsmouth.”

Carter gave his nose a wet, gurgling blow, then filled a second tissue.   “I don’t have allergies.”  His face fell as realization hit him.    “There’s been a cold going through the locker room.”  Another thick sniffle.   “Probably my turn.  Great fucking timing, huh?”

Cal gave him a sympathetic smile.  “Hey, happens in the big leagues too.  I just got over one that made the rounds.”  He paused for the rookie to cough.   “You finish getting dressed, and I’ll get you fixed up with some breakfast and DayQuil.”

Carter appeared in the kitchen not ten minutes later.   He’d cleaned up, taking some time to wash the tired from his face.   Cal heard him sniffle and turned around.  “Looking a little better.  You’ve got me convinced it’s not the cats, at least.  Breakfast?”

“Got any oatmeal?”

“Of course.”  Cal pulled out a canister of quick oats and started making it for the younger man, figuring he knew his way around the kitchen best.   “There’s orange juice in the fridge.” He suggested, pulling a glass out of the cupboard.

Carter took the hint and poured himself a glass, taking the oatmeal from Cal a few moments later along with the milk and brown sugar offered.  HehtShoo ! Ehh-Hetschoo!” He sneezed into his sleeve, grabbing a napkin off the table.   He spotted the DayQuil Cal had sitting in the table, and at the older man’s nod, took it.

The two headed to the rink shortly after where Cal watched the rookie muddle through practice and struggle to hold back sneezes through the team meeting.   Finally they were released for their pregame rituals, and he could only hope Carter’s a) included a nap and b) that he’d be able to sleep.  

4 hours later it was game time.  Cal had heard the younger man sneezing through the bedroom wall as both tried to rest and knew he had to have a good game tonight.  Carter was in no condition to play if he got pulled.   

Cal managed to hold the Orcas to one goal that night, 5 hole on a breakaway, of course, but the Heat won nonetheless.    After post game meetings and media scrum, he got Carter to the car and back to the apartment.

He spooned up the chili, his post Orcas ritual, and coaxed Carter to eat.   He also noticed that Carter’s sneezing was picking up in frequency and intensity.   

Ihhtschuhh, tschuh, Huhh-Ihhhtschoo, ayyihhtschoo.” Carter pulled the top of his Blades hoodie up over the lower half of his face to black the sneezes, then took the napkin Cal extended.  

“Bless.”

“Thanks.” He sniffled, blowing his nose.  “Ugh.  My nose is really running.”  He commented.

“That might be the chili.  The spice builds up on you.” Cal apologized as Carter sneezed again.

Carter ate half the bowl, apologizing that he just wasn’t hungry, and Cal pushed another glass of orange juice on him.

“Hiihhtschoo!  Hihhtschuhh! UhhSchuhh.” Carter sneezed fiercely.   “You don’t happen to have any NyQuil, do you?”

Cal nodded.  “Go get ready for bed.  I’ll bring it.”  

Carter looked at his hoodie and sweatpants.  “I think I’m pretty ready.” He laughed, heading for the bedroom.   Cal followed close behind with the NyQuil.   

Carter swallowed the green liquid before his face went slack.  Heyyehhchuhh!” He exploded, snatching up a tissue from the box next to the bed.   He gave his nose several strong crackling blows and collapsed on the bed, pulling his hoodie tighter around him.

“Cold?”  Carter nodded.   “I’ll get you another blanket.”   

Carter curled up under the blankets, waiting for Cal.  Cal was back moments later and draped another comforter over the shivering blonde.   “You’ll warm up soon.  Think you have a fever?”

The young man shook his head.  “I’m always chilled when I have a cold.”  He paused.  UhhIhhschoo, Ihhschuhh, SCHUHH, HuhIhhSchuhh.  ‘Scuse me.”  He flushed at the volume of his sneezes.

“Bless.”  Cal set the tissue box next to him.  “I think you better keep these close.”  He teased lightly.

Carter nodded.  “Sorry.  I’m always such a sneezy mess when I get a cold.”  As if to illustrate his point, he sneezed another three times, this time muffled by tissues.  Again, three powerful nose blows, and he deposited the tissues into the grocery bag Cal had set next to the bed.   

“It’s alright.” Cal assured him.  

“Thanks for letting me stay here.  I’d hate to be sick in a hotel.”

Cal nodded.  There was something about hotels and illness that just wasn’t comforting.   And at least here, he could take care of Carter while he was up, make sure he got food and rest.   He remembered from the Blades that the young goalie was determined and known for pushing himself.  Especially if he felt he had something to prove.   “Ready to sleep?”

“Soon.  Uhhihtschmmph.  Ugh.  Um, can you stay and talk until the NyQuil kicks in?”

Cal nodded.  He didn’t like being sick alone either.  “Sure.  Got any tips for my 5 hole on a breakaway?”

Awwwwww!!! 😍 I loved this so much! ❤️

You did an absolutely amazing job with this.  I feel like I should point out to everyone that this was a fill in Secret Santa entry so a huge amount of props are due for that, and my goodness you really CAME THROUGH.  Love the interaction between the characters. 

• 4 months later...

@aggedy_ann, I am so sorry I never got the notification. My February was horrible, so I could really have used this back then to cheer me up. I'm so glad you told me of its existence! I've been working my way back up to handling sickfics, and was pleased to find this didn't trigger me at all. YAY! So, first off, THANK YOU for pinch-hitting and writing this fantastic story for me! I love it sooooooooooooo much. 

1. A hockey goalie looking after another hockey goalie with a super sneezy cold? This is the dream! Plus cats. In my mind, one of the cats totally wanders in and curls up on Carter's feet. I love this bit: 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:35 PM, aggedy_ann said:

Of course, it’d be a rarity to find a quirkless goalie. 

And I love that they already have a friendship from the minors. Of course, that was important for the offer & acceptance of a place to crash on short notice, but it was also so very nice to jump into their existing friendship for a little while here. They were comfortable with each other, and knew enough about each other. Which leads me to...

2. All the times Cal notices or comments on Carter's sneezes. So fantastic. 

He’d heard him sneeze but a handful of times the two had been together in the minors, but last night, Carter certainly had had a tickle to deal with.

GUH. The fact that he'd notice that back then and remember it now. I mean, I know it's a context thing, a kind of "Boy, this kid is sneezing. I don't remember him sneezing so much before" But, still, he REMEMBERS. And so it makes amazing lines like that one possible. And this one:

“Bless you.  It’s something in here, then.   I didn’t hear you sneeze this much in a year down in Portsmouth.”

I just LOVE that wording!

3. References to not one but two different colds making their ways through the men in the locker rooms. And the fact that they both acknowledge that that's just something that happens. But, yeah, made my mind wander a little. And made me picture Cal with a cold, too. No wonder he's got DayQuil, NyQuil, and tissues on hand!

4. Cal leaving the orange juice hint and Carter totally taking it. Awww. Lookin' out for him. And Cal shoving another glass of juice at him. LOL More Vitamin C doesn't hurt!

5. Carter sneezing in small bursts. I already thought there were so many gloriously spelled sneezes. But then:

He also noticed that Carter’s sneezing was picking up in frequency and intensity.   

Whaaaaaat? HOW?! But yes please!!

6. Cal needing to play his best because he knows Carter won't be able to handle being on the ice if Cal gets pulled. I was holding my breath for a while, hoping no one rushed the crease or crashed into him and caused an injury that would force Carter out there. I'm glad he didn't have to play, poor guy! Loved the image of him sitting on the bench, trying not to sneeze for the whole damn game. I can just see him trying to concentrate on his counting duties and casually stopping sneezes the whole time. Sooooooo much love for that mental image. SO MUCH. Aw, Carter! Good job getting through that, buddy! He's definitely the type to push himself hard and prove himself. 

7. Hoodie!!! And not only that, but it's a hoodie for his hockey team!!!!!!!! That's such a gorgeous image. Love the remark about him pretty much being ready for bed already in those sweats. LOL

He gave his nose several strong crackling blows and collapsed on the bed, pulling his hoodie tighter around him.

“Cold?”  Carter nodded.   “I’ll get you another blanket.”   

Carter curled up under the blankets, waiting for Cal.  Cal was back moments later and draped another comforter over the shivering blonde.

8. I loooove the spelled-out sneezes. Don't get me wrong. They're so darn good. But I think this is my favorite part of the whole story: 

Cal set the tissue box next to him.  “I think you better keep these close.”  He teased lightly.

Carter nodded.  “Sorry.  I’m always such a sneezy mess when I get a cold.”  As if to illustrate his point, he sneezed another three times, this time muffled by tissues.  Again, three powerful nose blows, and he deposited the tissues into the grocery bag Cal had set next to the bed.   

“It’s alright.” Cal assured him.  

Just the ease at which Cal says that, with a little friendly teasing but also following it with reassurance that Carter shouldn't be embarrassed. And the fact that he got him a bag for the used tissues. And the sound (in my head) of those muffled sneezes and strong blows and OMG I love all these words and the emotions. So good. 

But this is a close runner up:

his face went slack.  Heyyehhchuhh!”

YES.

Oh, this is magnificent! Thank you so much! I really love it. I've read it three times now and look forward to many more! 

Almost forgot:

9. The way Cal asks the younger, minor league goalie for tips about the one that got past him. What a great way to spend the time until the NyQuil helps Carter zonk out. Talking hockey talk, more specifically goalie talk, and more specifically putting the two of them on the same level as friends and teammates again, at least for the night. Awwwww! 

10. I feel like I need to end on a round number. So I'm just going to say THE WHOLE STORY. The whole story was just so good! Thank you again! @SleepingPhlox, thanks for having @aggedy_ann pinch-hit! I don't know why I didn't get the notification about it, but I'd given up all hope of having a gift and it was so great to find out one has been waiting here for me all along! Squee! Happy belated holidays! 

Edited by tarotgal