Sneeze Fetish Forum

Looking For Movie Recommendations

Chanel_no5

Okay, so, I love movies centered around time travel and parallel universes, but still realistic enough that you can picture this actually happening now. That is, I like it best when it takes place on this planet and not on some deep space mission long after Earth has been destroyed in a nuclear war or something. :lol:  Soooo, does anyone have any recommendations? For now I'm looking for movies, not TV shows, because my attention span has been terrible lately. 

Edited by Chanel_no5

Coherence is a great movie about this. The filmmaking isn't all that great in it, but it helps in giving it a feeling of realism and grounding it.It takes place in the present day and follow a seemingly mundane scenario that soon gets really weird. Resolution and its sister film The Endless get into this a little bit, especially the latter but I liked Resolution a lot better. About Time plays fast and loose with its own rules but it does get into the idea of alternate timelines created by time travel. Not in a whole lot of detail, mind you but enough so it gets into the whole premise of actions, changes and consequences. You could argue that time loop movies like Edge of Tomorrow, Source Code, Groundhog Day and Happy Death Day get into the idea as well. Looper is an awesome time travel movie where you get to see characters in alternate timelines. I also recommend the TV series Counterpart, which doesn't really feature time travel but it's a very compelling exploration of alternate realities that feels very grounded and realistic. 

Ohh, thank you! I'm gonna see if I can find those. And yes, time loop movies work too! 😁

I saw a film called Project Almanac on TV a while ago and really enjoyed it. It’s a bit of a low brow teen film addition to the time travel genre, but honestly I liked it all the better for that. Definitely would recommend!

You may have seen all of these already but just listing them in case there's one you've never watched 😊 Also including all genres (drama, thriller, comedy, etc.). Not all of them are amazing, but if you're anything like me, you'll enjoy them anyway because they have that one element you crave 😂

Loopers
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Lake House
Kate & Leopold
Frequency
13 Going On 30
Primer
Synchronicity
Déjà Vu
Source Code
Bill & Ted Excellent Adventure (a classic 😂)
About Time
Forever Young (this one is about a guy that was cryogenized in the 30s and wakes up 50 years later, but it's a bit like traveling in time right?)
Demolition Man (also cryogenized)

Thank you guys, lots of great suggestions! Now I have something to occupy myself with for a while, thank you so much! ❤️

Edited by Chanel_no5

This isn’t exactly light, fun watching- but it has a time travel element and is one of the first movies that made a big impression on me:

Twelve Monkeys

It was probably the first creepy, unsettling film that scratched an itch I was just realising I had.

1 minute ago, Heathcliff said:

This isn’t exactly light, fun watching- but it has a time travel element and is one of the first movies that made a big impression on me:

Twelve Monkeys

It was probably the first creepy, unsettling film that scratched an itch I was just realising I had.

Oh fuck YES, I love that movie! Haven't watched it in ages, so thanks for reminding me. 😁

Ooh- I also remember watching most of The Butterfly Effect while drunk with friends in college. I can’t remember enough to know how much of a good film it is, but it plays with the whole idea of trying to change the past for the better but realising you make it worse and worse in ways you couldn’t foresee.

(There is an episode of Star Trek Voyager I watched as a teen which did this idea well. An alien race who tried to make a war or something better by altering the past, but they make it worse and then try for years simply to get back to the state they started. Great sci fi)

3 minutes ago, Chanel_no5 said:

Oh fuck YES, I love that movie! Haven't watched it in ages, so thanks for reminding me. 😁

Oh, so glad you like it too ❤️

I haven’t seen it in like 10 years. Must look it up.

Have any of you guys seen Harry Potter or lord of the rings because I highly recommend those great character development check them out when you guys get some alone time

• 1 month later...

It was mentioned earlier in a list but I'd say the film that fits the bill of your original description best is SOURCE CODE.

If you want something light-hearted at this time, last night I watched Spider-Man: Far From Home.

If you like this type of movie it's great. I often think with more weird villains like Mysterio, they have a more free hand and do them really well.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:02 AM, Esstrosa said:

Have any of you guys seen Harry Potter or lord of the rings because I highly recommend those great character development check them out when you guys get some alone time

Oh, yeah, I haven't watched Lord of The Rings in like 15 years or so, so maybe it's time I give them a re-watch. 😊 I have watched the Harry Potter movies as well, but in that case I prefer the books. 

4 hours ago, Heathcliff said:

If you want something light-hearted at this time, last night I watched Spider-Man: Far From Home.

If you like this type of movie it's great. I often think with more weird villains like Mysterio, they have a more free hand and do them really well.

I'm not into superhero movies though, like, at all, so I think I'll pass on that one. 😅

7 minutes ago, Chanel_no5 said:

Oh, yeah, I haven't watched Lord of The Rings in like 15 years or so, so maybe it's time I give them a re-watch. 😊 I have watched the Harry Potter movies as well, but in that case I prefer the books. 

I'm not into superhero movies though, like, at all, so I think I'll pass on that one. 😅

Fair enough - it is definitely something you like or you don't.

If you can somehow get your hands on it, I suggest the movie "The Baker". It's so hard to find, but really great. About an assassin, who wants to retire to the Welsh countryside and become a baker, but things get complicated as the villagers suspect what he used to do for a living.

Nothing about time travelling or anything, but lots of accents and British humour.

Edited by Selene
  • 3 weeks later...

Ghost in the shell (actually a great movie despite the nonsense about a non Japanese woman playing the lead)

Red Tails 

passengers 

otokotachi no Yamato (men of Yamato) 

For those we love (American title) 

The Admiral (American title) 

• 6 months later...

Yeah, I'm in my own thread to leave a recommendation... :lol:  No, but I stumbled on this weird but surprisingly good little indie flick on Netflix, "TIME TRAP". Basically people go missing in a cave where time doesn't behave as it should. Surprisingly good. So if anyone else uses this thread to look for recommendations on time travel/parallel universe/that type of movies, you should definitely give this sci-fi a watch! 

ETA: It really must have fucked up my brain, because I can't stop thinking about it!! :lol: 

Edited by Ghost_no5

A bit late on the thread and also not a movie but a Netflix tv series: 

Travelers 

People from the future go back in 21st century to try and save the human race. 
Characters are well developed and the actors are really great! Also it does help that a few of them are really good looking (both male and female) 😁

Edited by Coffee Mug
Because I type too fast and my English sucks
  • 11 months later...

I'm expanding the thread to be about any kind of movie recommendations, because it's my thread and I say so, and because I didn't want to start another one on basically the same theme. ^_^  

So. Has anyone else watched this one yet? 

It's actually way better than the trailer, I swear. Especially if you like sarcastic humour. 

-Miracle. I’m not sure if you’re into sports films, but this is my go-to movie recommendation.

-The Rocky and Creed movies.

-The Perks of being a Wallflower. It’s pretty sad and I’m putting a trigger-warning disclaimer due to the content of this film, but it’s such a good movie.

-Call Me by Your Name.

-Moonlight