Sneeze Fetish Forum

In Search of Yoga Replacement

sprinkles287

Was just told by my physical therapist that I'm not allowed to do yoga.  Like, ever again.  I've been cleared for all other activities, though.  Apparently, my joints are too flexible and stretching is a no.  WHAAAT is that.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  I do yoga for the mental benefits, primarily but I'm also a fitness addict and if I don't "work-out" once I day I feel.. not right.  Yoga has been an easy go-to on days when I've been overwhelmed, or it's gross outside, or if I just want to be relaxed and mentally focused.

Any suggestions for another similar activity?  Sometimes I can get the same mental focus with rock climbing, but that comes with a large price tag since I don't belong to that kind of a gym.  

Things I love about yoga:  

1.  The companionship and energy shared by a group of people practicing/breathing the same in the same space

2.  Fully feeling my body relax

3.  Being able to find pride in what my body can do 

4.  Focusing on tricky balance and tuning in to the world around me

5.  Increased mindfulness and connection to the world

6.  Letting go of my own stress and problems

Other things I already like to do but that fulfill more of a stress-relief via exhaustion and endorphin rush = running, tennis, biking, and swimming.  I also do daily meditation as an anxiety/depression reliever.

hm... i don't have any perfect ideas, but what i can think of are:

pilates, which is like yoga but less calm and less stretchy

spin class, which has the same companionship aspect but is rlly different to yoga

or, adding lifting/muscle building to your routine so that your muscles become strong enough that they hold all your joints in the right place and u can try yoga again (if your doctor agrees to it only)

im sorry i couldn't be more helpful!! i also love yoga and have loose joint issues, but i haven't been banned from it fortunately (tho i've been on hold for a bit as i wait for treatment for an unrelated injury)

you could also try something like bellydance or other dances as exercise? those have similar levels of focus...

Well, I'm no expert,  but you might wanna try practicing Qigong, Tai Chi or other forms of Chinese martial arts. I think the two I've mentioned might suit you, because there is a lot of focus on the things your body can do, but not necessarily in an intense way, but a more relaxed one. There is also an emphasis on breathing right, which can be very helpful when it comes to relaxation (and other things as well). If you find a group of nice people to practice with, it might help with the things you listed above. I hope I helped 😇

17 hours ago, Likesn said:

Well, I'm no expert,  but you might wanna try practicing Qigong, Tai Chi or other forms of Chinese martial arts. I think the two I've mentioned might suit you, because there is a lot of focus on the things your body can do, but not necessarily in an intense way, but a more relaxed one. There is also an emphasis on breathing right, which can be very helpful when it comes to relaxation (and other things as well). If you find a group of nice people to practice with, it might help with the things you listed above. I hope I helped 😇

oh, that's really smart!! i might try that too while i wait ^_^

I agree with the Tai Chi and Qi Gong suggestions. Also, I believe there are forms of Yoga that don't really involve moving around much, if at all, but they mainly focus on the breathing and mindfulness aspects, so you could still do that for the mental benefits. Though it might have to be more of a solo activity if you can't find a class that focuses on that form of Yoga. Or perhaps alternatively find any meditation class for similar mental benefits. Good luck!

Archived