Sneeze Fetish Forum

Coronavirus support

Heathcliff

maru, if that ends up being the case, i would suggest trying to acclimate at home by wearing the mask for very, very short periods at a time until you can build up a tolerance to it, just for the sake of you still being able to get out and about. i don't know if it would help with your specific issue, but it might be worth a try? like i said before, i have severe ptsd from almost dying of the flu a few years ago, and wearing a mask reminds me of all the breathing treatments i had to get, which is really triggering; i walk around in public with my mask on with heart palpitations and other panic attack symptoms because it gives me flashbacks. it sucks. (this applies to the o2 mask they have to put over my face for ect treatments, too. i had to tell them they needed to keep it near but not on my face until i was entirely unconscious.)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heathcliff

• aggedy_ann

• Stimuli

• March Hare

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's useful advice, thanks.

I do HOPE that they won't make them compulsory till we can be sure there are at least enough masks so that health care workers are never without.

Maru I can't wear the masks either, at the very least I'd have to have my nose free. I cannot breathe for more than a couple of minutes with it covered as the heat/humidity that builds up from my own breath causes an asthma issue. Depending on the type of mask and how well it fit. My glasses might fog up and I'd be unable to see. I know this will definitely happen if I use a scarf around my nose/mouth. No type of mask would be safe for me to wear for a more extended period of time unless it was somehow able to let out the heat and humidity and bring in fresh cool air. I know here it's been said that they cannot force you if you have a medical issue and they can't ask for documentation given how hard it would be to get this right now. I hope this exception will be true where you are if they do make it a law and for everyone.

Edited by Shay

Super depressing to think about the huge spike of PTSD that’s probably going to take place in this generation of doctors/health providers. Witnessing that amount of people die in such large numbers is trauma. The stress and overwhelming stakes+atmosphere is trauma. On the off chance that someone in this field is reading this, thank you for your work, and I’m so sorry.

Unrelated but still on the topic of COVID: I can’t believe people are really protesting to end quarantine. Holy shit. It’s hilarious because you’d think if they were going to protest, they’d protest about the stimulus check glitches (haven't gotten mine... btw.) or for lifted rent/housing, healthcare, etc... Nope! These people are protesting for their right to work for the 1 precent and return to the broken system that prevented their safety by ignoring Covid in the first place, and has failed socially, culturally, economically, and medically (this is the fault of underfunding/lack of resources, not the fault of health providers) for its people during this time. And I guess to get their hair cut? People shouldn’t die because you’re craving Arby’s. 🙄 These protests are so invalidating for healthcare workers, and SO dangerous, and also REALLY racist a lot of the time? That’s another thing. The amount of xenophobia and flat out discrimination against Asian communities is insane now. “It’s not racist when Donald Trump calls it the Chinese virus, it’s from China”— Uh, it’s called Covid/Corona. As the president, he should be using its official and scientific name. Is this not a totally reasonable expectation? 

whatever.

B0C509B5-6B2B-4C0C-8841-7DE6B52BF701.jpeg

@Kicker  The other question in the United States is how many doctors and nurses will leave the profession following this.   We are already short, I believe the last number I read was 200,000 nurses and there is a shortage of doctors in family and internal medicine - they all go into specialties.   
I know for me, I was on my way out when this happened, and still am when this is over.  From nurses I’ve talked to, they are angry about being placed in this situation without the proper equipment.   Administration doesn’t care, and we’re threatened with termination if we speak out.  We’re facing pay cuts because hospitals are losing money.   We’re told “you signed up for this”. Well yes, in a way, but you wouldn’t tell a police officer “you signed up for this” then send him out wit out a gun.  Or a soldier.   We’re left unprotected.   We’re seen as expendable.   And from conversations I e had,  there’s quite a few that are done.   Sorry baby boomers.   

If you want to help this situation remember that we, doctors, nurses, police, EMS, grocery workers, etc, have to go out for you.   The Least you can do is stay home for us.  If you must leave, wear a mask.    And don’t wear gloves unless you change them every time you touch something.   It’s really better to sanitize your hands after each contact.  The gloves become just as dirty as unwashed hands - they are Single Use gloves.   

On 4/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, Kicker said:

Unrelated but still on the topic of COVID: I can’t believe people are really protesting to end quarantine. Holy shit.🙄

People never fail to impress you or appall you in equal measure, unfortunately.

I'm sorry to find some dark humour in this, but I had to share the following as I find humour helps at the moment: it's Simon Mayo on Radio 5 describing an American anti-lockdown protestor.

"He was carrying a sign which was supposed to say 'USE YOUR BRAIN MORON!'".

"But what he had actually written was 'USE YOUR BRIAN MORAN!"

"So everyone was asking, 'Who the hell is Brian Moran?'"

Edit: Blast - looks like the "Brian" bit is apocryphal and this predates the current crisis. Oh well.

Edited by Heathcliff
22 minutes ago, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

@aggedy_ann can you unionize for better treatment?

I am Union.   And they are working on it at least   🙂.  They’re trying to deal with the PPE issue (which in a national shortage, good luck), get us hazard pay and paid sick leave should we get sick.   Just haven’t heard anything for awhile on that.  

This may have been mentioned already, but I feel I must bring it up for the safety of forum members.

You may be aware that President Trump speculated about using disinfectant products to treat Covid-19, either by injection or ingestion. (See below for a video showing him saying this).

You may or may not like Trump's politics - if you voted for him, that's fine. I would certainly not have voted for him myself if I lived in the USA, but it is absoluetly your right to vote for who you want to in a democratic country. This comment is not about his politics.

However, what he said about disinfectant (even if it was just a throwaway remark, even if it was a random idea, even if he was being sarcastic as he later claimed) is not just a controversial opinion or something under dispute, it is downright irresponsible and dangerous.

The SFF members are an intelligent bunch and I wouldn't expect you to be taken in. But I want to publicise this BBC news video (if you can see it in other countries) with doctors saying how dangerous this suggestion is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-52421673/coronavirus-doctors-dismantle-trump-s-treatment-comments

Thanks all.

Edited by Heathcliff

one of my friends hasn't been in touch with me since mid march and i don't know if his internet is just off or if he's okay or not and i'm really worried 

i don't even have any other ways to contact him and i don't know anyone who does either so im just like

i really hope he's okay? i hope his internet is just off and he's fine and i'll hear from him again when he has it back or something? 

T^ T

56 minutes ago, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

one of my friends hasn't been in touch with me since mid march and i don't know if his internet is just off or if he's okay or not and i'm really worried 

i don't even have any other ways to contact him and i don't know anyone who does either so im just like

i really hope he's okay? i hope his internet is just off and he's fine and i'll hear from him again when he has it back or something? 

T^ T

This sounds incredibly scary and anxiety inducing. :( These times are so unstable and uncertain and it's overwhelming to think that people we love and know could be in danger. I'm really hoping your friend is okay. <3

2 minutes ago, Kicker said:

This sounds incredibly scary and anxiety inducing. :( These times are so unstable and uncertain and it's overwhelming to think that people we love and know could be in danger. I'm really hoping your friend is okay. ❤️

thank you, it means a lot to me <33 i hope that he is too. 

8 hours ago, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

I get anxiety from this kind of thing too. Fingers crossed that there is an innocent explanation, which is often the case.

:joal:

2 minutes ago, Joal 555 said:

I get anxiety from this kind of thing too. Fingers crossed that there is an innocent explanation, which is often the case.

:joal:

thank you joal :hug:

On 3/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, Leas said:

I’m worried about my 18 year old immunocompromised brother. He lives with my parents, he’s been upstairs pretty much all day, everyday (he’s autistic, so he’s not very sociable) 

We’re very worried about my brother, he’s starting to have symptoms. High temperature and very sore throat. 

4 hours ago, Leas said:

We’re very worried about my brother, he’s starting to have symptoms. High temperature and very sore throat. 

Have you contacted 111? I'm assuming you have, but if not, I'd do so. (I think your parents live in the UK? This is why I mentioned 111)

Edited by Heathcliff

Had a week of weird pains in my lungs/chest and really intense headaches. Turned out to be a false alarm. 

Getting COVID-19-paranoia I guess. 

20 hours ago, aName said:

Had a week of weird pains in my lungs/chest and really intense headaches. Turned out to be a false alarm. 

Getting COVID-19-paranoia I guess. 

It's a really insidious thing, because those are THE stress-caused symptoms, too. Thank goodness it was a false alarm!

On 4/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, Leas said:

Leas, I'm praying for your brother. Keep us posted if you can. How are your parents now? ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up too early and cannot stop listening to this song. It's It's a Hard Life by Queen:

I'd forgotten that this is a wonderful track. 😊

Edited by SneezyHolmes

So I guess this is the right place?
I haven't really had any issues coping with the pandemic itself. Like. That's not stressing me out or anything but some of the stuff that (understandably) come with it are just shit. We haven't had any contact teaching since mid-March and the day-cares also like... they didn't close but the govt made it clear they are only open so that essential workers can keep going to work yk? So our toddler has been home this whole time as well. So like. My time for everything that doesn't include the toddler got reduced to the few hours I have each night after the toddler's gone to bed and before I decide I have to go sleep as well while the amount of independent studying I have to do went up by a lot simultaneously. No contact teaching would be manageable if I had 8 hours a day for working and a peaceful environment but I have neither. Even if the toddler wasn't home, I would absolutely need access to a separate work place such as out University's main library. Idk, I have hardly been able to keep a track of things I need to do and while the semester is technically over I still need to hand in some assignments I actually haven't even started doing yet because I just can't get around to it.
And today the teacher on of my courses sent an email to myself and a few other people like "hey I noticed your group project is lacking [my] name" blah blah blah and now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get a grade for that course because I ended up not being able to do much of anything for the group project which is extra shitty because someone else did the ground work while I was like... doing it. Except they skipped the part where they tried to figure if google docks has the functions we needed (we were told it has them but I couldn't find them lmao) so like. While I was trying to figure out how to make the in progress project available for everyone to work on, this person did the thing on their computer and sent an email like "hey here's this thing, can you all check if you agree with how I did it : )" and they ended up doing the whole thing through emails with very short noticed so I'm pretty sure I just missed the later steps completely and my initial participation isn't enough for the group project to qualify as done on my part.
so I'm just thinking here
if that's how it will be, do I really care
I already thought I was going to fail all my courses except for one or two and if we won't be back to being able to study at the library or where ever by the next semester I don't think I have any options but to like
sign myself absent from the semester if this situation is considered an acceptable reason for that
or to drop out : )
like I could try to work through it but that sounds like shit tbh
like idk if it would be worth it

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing that the world is fatigued by it.  That seems so from how people are acting, particularly if nobody around them has been personally affected, and as conspiracy theories run wild.  I'm not even scared anymore and I've been working right in its face.. yet according to tests, I haven't had it or developed antibodies.. and I've seen fit and healthy people I work with hospitalised and still unwell months later.  I'm just tired.  I don't think I, or many of my coworkers, could cope with a second surge 😏 I don't think we have anything left, and our country didn't even have it bad.

Try living in Florida. It’s absolutely inescapable.

Edited by Spoo
1 hour ago, Spoo said:

Try living in Florida. It’s absolutely inescapable.

^ this. Many of my relatives are in lock down in their own homes due to several hot spot areas. They can't even go down the street to get food. They have to call a special service to come and bring them stuff. It's insane.