Sneeze Fetish Forum

Coronavirus support

Heathcliff

My country is currently down to a handful of cases per day and while we are still on alert, it's not that big of an issue in my personal life currently. I also had time to grow bored of thinking about the whole subject before mid February and by the time we started getting cases it was already kinda... not a shocking thing. To begin with the one thing that has stressed me out about this is having to study without contact teaching when I also can't go to any place quiet and peaceful to do things and how this affects my studies isn't something I'll need to think about before September. So. It's simply not much on my mind now. 

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heathcliff

• aggedy_ann

• Stimuli

• March Hare

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Bubbles said:

I'm guessing that the world is fatigued by it.  That seems so from how people are acting, particularly if nobody around them has been personally affected, and as conspiracy theories run wild.  I'm not even scared anymore and I've been working right in its face.. yet according to tests, I haven't had it or developed antibodies.. and I've seen fit and healthy people I work with hospitalised and still unwell months later.  I'm just tired.  I don't think I, or many of my coworkers, could cope with a second surge 😏 I don't think we have anything left, and our country didn't even have it bad.

You summed it up for me.   My nursing home hasn’t been hit yet.  Per testing, I haven’t had it, nor do I have antibodies.   It’s always in the back of my mind, and as people around me in my area become more careless and cases rise here, I know it’s likely not if it hits work or if I’ll get it, but when, but I’ve reached the point where I can’t make myself crazy worrying about it anymore.  I just don’t have the energy.   I’m in a part of  my state that didn’t get hit hard and the United States hasn’t even left the first wave yet, so I can’t worry about a second wave.  I have an infection preventionist friend and all she does is talk about it, and it just gets so tiring.   I know it’s there, I know it’s real, I know the risks, but I can’t have my life revolve around it until it has to.   I mean, I’m still wearing masks, social distancing and staying in most of the time, but it’s at the back of my mind, not the front.  

i've been mostly just talking about it other places, whenever im not trying to distract myself from it

Been actively avoiding even thinking about it. I will only come out of this bubble once I've got a vaccination against it. 

People around here seem to have forgotten it was even a thing, and I'm continuously pinging back and forth between "fuck yeah let's go back to normal" and "please please please keep social distancing and wearing masks on public transport and washing your hands and and and IT IS NOT OVER AND I WANT EVERYONE TO SURVIVE THIS".

I wonder if life will ever be not confusing again.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:45 AM, Spoo said:

Try living in Florida. It’s absolutely inescapable.

Our state is such a dumpster fire.

I'm getting tested today and I feel scared, and grateful for the opportunity, and scared, and also pretty brave and badass for acting quickly and arranging this all on my own, and scared, and headachy, and quite fucking scared.

9 hours ago, matilda3948 said:

Our state is such a dumpster fire.

It’s embarrassing! Let’s just saw the state off at this point. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

I'm getting tested today and I feel scared, and grateful for the opportunity, and scared, and also pretty brave and badass for acting quickly and arranging this all on my own, and scared, and headachy, and quite fucking scared.

You ARE brave. Sending hugs your way. :hug: 

5 hours ago, March Hare said:

Good luck!   The test itself sucks but isn’t completely awful.   The waiting can be.   Wishing you the best with it.   Even if you’re scared, you’re still a badass.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a phone appointment today (I hate those, but they don't do in-person appointments currently) with my psychiatry doctor. I said that I haven't had an appointment with my therapist since early May, the last appointment was cancelled because he was sick. I didn't think much more of that then because no one is allowed to go to work with ANY illness symptoms at this time, and he gets allergies sometimes in spring/early summer so I figured it was just that, because he's NEVER sick. Then vacations and stuff. No. According to my doctor today, my therapist has been sick since May, and he used the phrase "IF he comes back", not "WHEN he comes back". And asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment with somebody else. I said no, I'll hold off for a while. 

I'm literally closer to my therapist than I am to my own father (no big feat in itself, but still). So, yeah. That hit pretty hard. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounded, but you're not sick for ten straight weeks and have colleagues say "IF you come back to work" if it's nothing serious. My doctor didn't say flat out that my therapist has covid, because obviously you can't say such a thing due to privacy rights, but it was very much hinted at. So, yeah, he's been a great support to me for over a decade and I really hope he pulls through this alright. 😢

i literally -- literally in the original sense, not the present-time exaggeratory sense -- literally cannot believe that anybody is making horny, dick-out posts that relate to the pandemic. i feel absolutely fucking sick every time i see one and i think it's probably time at this point that i just leave the forum for good because i absolutely despair at the state of humanity.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:16 PM, Chanel_no5 said:

I had a phone appointment today (I hate those, but they don't do in-person appointments currently) with my psychiatry doctor. I said that I haven't had an appointment with my therapist since early May, the last appointment was cancelled because he was sick. I didn't think much more of that then because no one is allowed to go to work with ANY illness symptoms at this time, and he gets allergies sometimes in spring/early summer so I figured it was just that, because he's NEVER sick. Then vacations and stuff. No. According to my doctor today, my therapist has been sick since May, and he used the phrase "IF he comes back", not "WHEN he comes back". And asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment with somebody else. I said no, I'll hold off for a while. 

I'm literally closer to my therapist than I am to my own father (no big feat in itself, but still). So, yeah. That hit pretty hard. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounded, but you're not sick for ten straight weeks and have colleagues say "IF you come back to work" if it's nothing serious. My doctor didn't say flat out that my therapist has covid, because obviously you can't say such a thing due to privacy rights, but it was very much hinted at. So, yeah, he's been a great support to me for over a decade and I really hope he pulls through this alright. 😢

Oh, darling, I'm so sorry. :hug: That's really rough. Keeping everything crossed!

27 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Oh, darling, I'm so sorry. :hug: That's really rough. Keeping everything crossed!

It feels so weird. In situations like this you're somehow prepared to worry about family and friends, but then you realise that some people that don't technically count as either are very, very close to you and you care about them a lot. I hope for the best and try to send positive energy his way. This is a shitty year. 

I hope you're doing well! I only just saw your post about the testing, I hope it all went well! :hug::heart: 

I think this year has taken a toll on lots of people. I know in the grand scheme of things the Vulcans and their ‘needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one’ keeps me from speaking up but... the hardest thing for me right now is, I’m here in Korea, where for a while earlier in the year It was really scary... like before anybody really understood what this virus was... but it’s gotten to where I feel okay going to and from work and getting groceries, the basics. Now I’m faced with whether or not to go back to the states or apply to stay here longer, and there’s a time limited window to try to choose one or the other.  I miss the US but with the ‘rona and with everything the news says I feel safer staying put... it’s weighing on me and i have everyone in my life telling me I should stay or I should come back and why they think the way they do and how I would be an idiot to stay/go. I’ve about had enough of everyone’s opinion but on the other side of the coin I still don’t know what I should do. *heavy sigh*

Wherever you are in the world I hope you’re staying safe as best you can. Sometimes our situation makes it more difficult so if you need to reach out, reach out. I don’t remember where I heard it, but there’s a saying I like ‘There’s no extra points for suffering’. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 2:26 PM, Neogiomach said:

, but there’s a saying I like ‘There’s no extra points for suffering’. 

I love that one. It seems we all need to be reminded these days.

Yeah I understand how you feel, being caught between choices; and maybe the hardest part of all is that "time window" you're speaking up : feeling hard pressed to make a choice when you're not ready just isn't livable. I think maybe take whatever time you need to FEEL what's right for you...and trust that, whatever you choose, it will be the "right" choice (insofar as there is one), and more importantly, that you'll be okay and adapt to whatever choice you make. Also, in the end, you *will* have the opportunity to choose differently later if what you do doesn't work out fully for you --this thing won't last forever.

E.

I'm finding it most difficult to handle friendships with close friends who are throwing conspirationist theory at me all the times, or saying we shouldn't wear masks and the pandemic's over and government's lying to us. I'm trying to be sensible about it, but I'm afraid some relationships with close ones are being affected in spite of my best efforts.:nosad: (personally, I'm careful, I've had Lyme's for a long time, and I'm especially sensitive to not making anyone else sick)

On 8/26/2020 at 6:03 PM, Elektra said:

I'm finding it most difficult to handle friendships with close friends who are throwing conspirationist theory at me all the times, or saying we shouldn't wear masks and the pandemic's over and government's lying to us. I'm trying to be sensible about it, but I'm afraid some relationships with close ones are being affected in spite of my best efforts.:nosad: (personally, I'm careful, I've had Lyme's for a long time, and I'm especially sensitive to not making anyone else sick)

I can't speak to your specific situation, but I feel like I've been experiencing the same thing. The best course of action to take that I can think of is to just be a good example. Keep practicing social distancing, wearing a mask, and listening to the advice of your local health experts. Then, if and when you get called out for it, carefully explain to others why you feel the need to do these things. I think it'd be pretty hard to fault you for acting in a way you think is protecting people. Of course, some people might think you're a fool or a sheep or in on the "conspiracy," but a healthy dose of humility mixed with love for the other person should keep you from starting a shouting match. And, at the end of the day, if you think you're doing the right thing, it won't change your actions either.

It can be pretty hard to hold your tongue when you think someone is hurting others, whether it's directly or indirectly. But, keep in mind that other people have reasons for believing what they believe. They might be bad reasons -- selfish even -- but no one is above ignorance, selfishness, or bias. So, keep doing what you're doing, and invite your friends to do the same in a nonjudgemental, caring way.

Thank you @Zracken3 I appreciate this. A friend told me on the phone today : try to be non judgemental and remember they too are dealing with the crisis and the stress in the best way for them. It was a sensible reminder, and I don't need to buy into their theories to be caring to them I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a COVID test done today. Yesterday I was showcasing some symptoms and made the appointment. I'm glad it'll only take 3-4 days to get my results back, but I'm also nervous because I live with my elderly grandmother and, while I usually keep to myself, she has a hard time with wanting to take care of me while I wait. She's also huggy-hand holdy so it's like telling a toddler that you just can't be near them for their own safety, but I feel as though she doesn't fully understand it yet. Either way, I'm... trying to feel positive about it, since I feel a lot better compared to yesterday. Just gonna play the waiting game for now.

Not sure if I did the right thing or if I really fucked up. My uncle has been planning on visiting from out of state for Thanksgiving despite the pandemic. My youngest sister voiced concern awhile back saying she wasn't comfortable having him in the house until the mask orders are lifted since he lives and works in a major city and he doesn't drive, so he'd be taking trains the whole way here, so his risk of exposure is higher than where we live in a semi-rural area.

I tried to hint at it last month saying he could keep his plans to visit if the mask orders were lifted by then and he didn't take the hint saying it would be uncomfortable but he'd wear a mask the whole way down if he had to. So he called tonight to say that his train had been rescheduled to a couple of hours later and it felt that enough time had passed where he really needed to know how my sister felt. He abruptly ended the conversation and hung up so was obviously upset.

I texted with him and reminded him that it wasn't just about my sister but that my mother who also lives with us has an impaired immune system. My other sister also feels she is compromised due to some calcification in her lungs, and he'd be sleeping in her bed due to us not having a proper guest room and she normally takes the couch during his visits. He then replied saying that he over-reacted and that my youngest sister was probably the wise one in this situation and that he hadn't taken everyone's health status into account.

So I think he's willing to wait and see if the mask orders are lifted and possibly cancel his visit, but now I'm mainly just worried if my sister is going to be upset with me for telling him that. I mean maybe under other circumstances it wouldn't have been my place to do so, but as I said, it wasn't just about her but about the family as a whole. Though I have to say that I'm rather annoyed that I had to be the one to tell him this when I'm the only one in the family that isn't afraid of getting sick(I suspect I may have already had it back in February, but it's hard to say for sure), but I felt he should have been told months ago and that it wasn't fair to him keeping him in the dark, and I wasn't sure anyone else was ever going to say anything about it and just go ahead with a visit they didn't feel safe with.

I think you did the right thing.  Your uncle deserved to know the reasoning behind everything instead of well, mask orders...   And when he did, it seems like he was much more understanding if the whole thing.  
It probably shouldn’t have had to be you that had to tell him, but for his sake it was good someone did.   If your sister is upset, you can explain your reasoning or just let her be.   I don’t know which one she’ll respond better too.

I’m not an expert at things like this, so I could be wrong.  But if I were in this situation, I would appreciate being told/reminded there are immune compromised people in the house, the greater risk, etc in a rational manner.

Thanks, I appreciate that. The sister in question wasn't even home when this all happened and still isn't, so I'm not sure yet how she's going to feel about it. I know my mother was really bewildered about the whole thing and then I had to remind her about her immune system because she can't always remember stuff since her stroke a few years back and then she was like "Oh yeah... I forgot" despite the fact that she went in for her flu shot earlier this week. Anyway I am glad my uncle was much more understanding once I had a chance to explain things more because he does have a past history of refusing to cancel plans to visit even when he's actively sick with a cold, much to my chagrin.

I'm glad to hear that your uncle understood after you explained things to him. The whole thing would've been a lot harder to manage had he not. I agree with aggedy_ann that you did the right thing, even if your sister would be annoyed. And I agree that you shouldn't have had to be the one to tell him, but that's that. Hopefully your sister is also able to understand, but, if not, you still have the justification that it was the right thing to do.

I'm just glad to hear there's people still taking the pandemic seriously. We're going on ten months since it first appeared, so a lot of people are at their wit's end, but we gotta try and stay safe still.